BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #23
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Wanted to add, zx10guy, yes I do remember a prior discussion about the DIY kit for S2. What I meant in the post you quoted above was that this is first time I've heard of anyone ordering the kit. Don't think anyone has ordered it before and posted about it here on 1ADDICTS.

Great! I'm the guinea pig of the forum...

-Sam
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #24
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

My indy shop got back to me regarding installing Dinan Stage 3 software without the upgraded oil cooler and intercooler. This is what he said:

Quote:
We would not recommend adding Stage 3 software without the required coolers. Dinan requires the coolers for long term longevity, and to reduce heat soak. The peak numbers are 18 & 7, but the power curve is much more aggressive, and the area under the entire power curve is increased. This leads to more heat. There is a reason why Dinan has a stellar reputation when it comes to reliability, and it is because they don't cut corners when tuning. Turbo power produces heat, and heat is what kills engines. I hope that clarifies things for you.
I trust my indy shop and will follow their recommendation, so it looks like no S3 for me. More aggressive power curve (et cetera) or not, I won't spend that kind of money for those small hp and tq gains. Happy with my S2 anyway. Was tempted by the member who installed S3 without the hardware, but I plan on keeping my car for the long haul and don't want to take any chances with it.
lab_rat394.50
      10-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #25
hunterl41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC801 View Post
When you say “heavy engine modifications” does that include an upgraded turbo? Because the engine itself can handle well over the S3 to my understanding.
Dinan offered larger N54 turbos for a short time along with Stage 4 software. I believe they stopped producing them because they weren't emissions compliant

FROM DINAN SITE (now removed)

Dinan Stage 4 Performance Engine Software for BMW 1M E82

Product Code: D903-30T4

The ultimate software solution for the track rat looking to turn heads in their N54 BMW, Dinan’s Stage 4 Performance Software will surely impress. It yields so much power that is can only be deemed legal on track environments. Boost pressure is raised, fuel mixtures and ignition timing is retuned, and top speed governor are all removed all the while keeping BMW factory safeguards unaltered. The software combined with select Dinan performances parts *create an engine that now produces over 14psi of boost at 6300 RPM and yields a maximum of 444 HP @ 6350 RPM / 450ft-lbs @ 3300 RPM. Dinan Stage 4 software*REQUIRES* N54 big compressor turbos, as well as Dinan’s cold air intake, intercooler, and oil cooler to fully regulate the boost increase and deliver a polished product. In addition to the Dinan product, an aftermarket downpipe is also required although not sold by Dinan.*

Benefits of Stage 4 Performance Software:
+*Fuel Mixtures and ignition timing retuned
+*Factory safeguards maintained
+*Top speed governor removed
+*Makes over 14 PSI at 6300 RPM
+*Maximum gains: 444 HP @ 6350 RPM and 450 ft-lbs @ 3300 RPM
+*RACING ONLY PRODUCT
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #26
Track rat
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

So I called my local authorized dinan dealer which is also a BMW dealer. After talking to him he has me spooked. He told me on a couple of instances the flash corrupted the DME and a new DME may be needed at an additional cost (at a reduction as well, lol). I have not heard any mention of this anywhere on any forum. Anyone hear the same? 2011 N55
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track rat View Post
So I called my local authorized dinan dealer which is also a BMW dealer. After talking to him he has me spooked. He told me on a couple of instances the flash corrupted the DME and a new DME may be needed at an additional cost (at a reduction as well, lol). I have not heard any mention of this anywhere on any forum. Anyone hear the same? 2011 N55
Anytime you perform a flash type operation to an electronic device, you run the risk of bricking said device. I used to go through this all the time as an IT professional. When we had to do BIOS upgrades on various components of say a server, router, firewall, switch, etc, we would chant in a halfway joking manner, "Please don't brick, please don't brick...."

That said, it's not the tune itself either. My buddy who is a BMW dealer tech told me when the upgrade kits came out for the 2G BMW Assist systems, he ran into a problem with the F chassis upgrade kits where the process of coding the new components were bricking things. It got so bad, BMW required the techs to connect up the systems to allow someone from BMW HQ to do the updates.

This is why dealers don't just upgrade DME software on your car unless there's a specific problem they're chasing which can be solved with a firmware update.

Last edited by zx10guy; 10-10-2017 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 2
BAN_M2C4178.00
lab_rat394.50
      10-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
When you say “heavy engine modifications” does that include an upgraded turbo? Because the engine itself can handle well over the S3 to my understanding.
I'm still learning about BMW engines as this is my first BMW. I came from the domestics world prior to owning my 135i. When you're talking about changing the turbo on the N55, that to me is a heavy engine modification. You're creating more boost pressure and therefore increasing the stress engine components are being exposed to. Remember, the crank on the N55 is not forged. The follow on to changing the turbo is the DME mapping.

Currently, this is my daily driver. I went through the phase of having a heavily modified car as my daily. I won't do that again.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #29
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track rat View Post
First time I've heard this. I will say that you do have to have your car running and hooked up to a battery charger during the software flash to make sure you are always getting enough power because if you were to have an interruption in power it could damage your DME.
      10-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #30
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
First time I've heard this. I will say that you do have to have your car running and hooked up to a battery charger during the software flash to make sure you are always getting enough power because if you were to have an interruption in power it could damage your DME.

Truthfully, it's not just any battery charger. If you're wanting to use a charger to keep power to the car while you're performing a large flash, I believe the charger has to be capable of putting out at least 40 amps.

I just installed a new 95Ah AGM battery and I'll make sure it's fully charged before starting the flash.

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #31
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Having the car running won't do much with a BMW because of the way our charging system works. Basically, the alternator only charges during deceleration while driving unless the battery is very low on charge.

You need to use a proper power supply, not a charger. A power supply will provide a clean, constant 13.6 V. Almost all battery chargers use a truncated sine wave that will not suffice.

This is what we use at work:

http://www.midtronics.com/shop/produ...ttery-chargers
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      10-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #32
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

At this price, the Dinan S2 tune is a no-brainer.
I paid a good deal more than that and I'm happy with what I got for the $$.
At this price, there's no reason not to!

BTW, I've been running the S2 tune for over two years now and sill love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #33
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamelCamel View Post
Truthfully, it's not just any battery charger. If you're wanting to use a charger to keep power to the car while you're performing a large flash, I believe the charger has to be capable of putting out at least 40 amps.

I just installed a new 95Ah AGM battery and I'll make sure it's fully charged before starting the flash.

-Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Having the car running won't do much with a BMW because of the way our charging system works. Basically, the alternator only charges during deceleration while driving unless the battery is very low on charge.

You need to use a proper power supply, not a charger. A power supply will provide a clean, constant 13.6 V. Almost all battery chargers use a truncated sine wave that will not suffice.

This is what we use at work:

http://www.midtronics.com/shop/produ...ttery-chargers
Thanks for the insight, guys.

Here is a pic of my car having the Dinan Stage 2 tune installed. As you can see, it's hooked up to some kind of power source. I assumed it was your average, run of the mill, battery charger. Also, I was wrong about the car running. The key must be in and the car must be in the ON position without the engine running.
Attached Images

10-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #34
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep

*** UPDATE ***

I finished the Dinan Stage 2 flash this evening. It was pretty easy. The flash took approximately 30 minutes. I only had a couple hiccups. The first one seemed to be that my car dropped from the "ON" position at the beginning. I think I waited too long before starting the flash process. The second issue I ran into was after the flash my car had a CEL. I'm not sure what caused this, but it seemed to rectify itself after about 3 or 4 restarts. It seems fine now.

The car seems to be quite the monster with the Dinan Stage 2. Maybe it's just me or the temperature, but I'm pretty sure I was spinning from a rolling 40mph roll with the DSC turned off.

Now the big question... Dinan stickers on the back quarter windows or not?

-Sam
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2017, 10:36 PM   #35
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamelCamel View Post
*** UPDATE ***

I finished the Dinan Stage 2 flash this evening. It was pretty easy. The flash took approximately 30 minutes. I only had a couple hiccups. The first one seemed to be that my car dropped from the "ON" position at the beginning. I think I waited too long before starting the flash process. The second issue I ran into was after the flash my car had a CEL. I'm not sure what caused this, but it seemed to rectify itself after about 3 or 4 restarts. It seems fine now.

The car seems to be quite the monster with the Dinan Stage 2. Maybe it's just me or the temperature, but I'm pretty sure I was spinning from a rolling 40mph roll with the DSC turned off.

Now the big question... Dinan stickers on the back quarter windows or not?

-Sam

What kind of battery tender/charger did you use?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #36
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What kind of battery tender/charger did you use?
I just installed and coded a brand-new 95Ah AGM battery so I wasn't too worried about the battery dying during the flash. I had the battery tender hooked up as well. I have the Battery Tender charger that is the exact same as the BMW version (made by Battery Tender.) It handles up to 1.25A for wet cell or AGM batteries. I also left the driver's side door open during the flash, turned my headlights to the OFF position, and manually turned off both interior lights (front and back.)

-Sam
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #37
Sancs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2012

Hi! Can i put the Dinan S2 in a stock 135i 2012? Or do i have to put any hardware?
The site mention a "performance exhaust upgrade" but i dont understand if i need it or not.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #38
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancs View Post
Hi! Can i put the Dinan S2 in a stock 135i 2012? Or do i have to put any hardware?
The site mention a "performance exhaust upgrade" but i dont understand if i need it or not.
It might seem a bit confusing because on Dinan's website they make both of the statements that I've quoted below, nevertheless the Dinan Stage 2 tune will work just fine on your stock 135i. You don't need their exhaust.

"Get the most out of your performance exhaust upgrade. Yielding 355 HP at the peak as well as 401 ft-lb of torque when using the combination of Dinan Stage 2 Performance Exhaust software and the Dinan free-flow exhaust system."

"+ No Required Parts, install on a stock car and receive the full power gains"

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d9...ries&mid=1139/
      11-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #39
snarleyow
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 2012 135i

I just got the stage 2 done at Performance Technic in Fremont (Love that shop) and I wish I'd done this years ago. Other people have said it and I will agree, this is how this car should drive from the factory. The biggest difference for me is the auto shifting profile in sport mode, much more ... sensical? Really happy with it.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43360.00
      11-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #40
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarleyow View Post
I just got the stage 2 done at Performance Technic in Fremont (Love that shop) and I wish I'd done this years ago. Other people have said it and I will agree, this is how this car should drive from the factory. The biggest difference for me is the auto shifting profile in sport mode, much more ... sensical? Really happy with it.
Yeah, it's a great little tune. No regrets here.
      11-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #41
SLC801
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB Z4MC

Wonder if they will do another price special like first of this year. It’s already much better priced but $500 sounds even better
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 05:27 AM   #42
dleccord
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

how does this compare to COBB stage 1+
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #43
Mageshkk
Canyon Carver
Rep
Drives: 135is 6MT; 2000 M5;1991 M5

This will feel like a factory tune and smooth af. Btw, there’s another price drop as of today. I’m pulling the trigger this time for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 05:05 AM   #44
dleccord
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageshkk View Post
This will feel like a factory tune and smooth af. Btw, there’s another price drop as of today. I’m pulling the trigger this time for sure.
do you have experience with Cobb tunes?? if so, can you compare?
Appreciate 0