BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #23
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

I thought i read something here where you can file a claim and if they don't fix the place you wrecked your wheel at in 48 hours then you can get them to pay for your wheels.

I live in Harrisburg, PA and I dare say the streets downtown are shittier than NYC. I'm lucky I haven't bent a rim yet, but it might be because i don't go over 20 mph downtown, lol ...

anyway, NYC sucks, I used to drive in every weekend pretty much when I had my Mazda 6.. parking is a bitch, dents and scratches from street parking sucks, potholes... that's why my 135i is never getting close to NYC... Amtrak all the way . cheaper than gas+parking actually lol
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:52 AM   #24
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsbylauren View Post
WHAT!!

Are you saying I can get NYC to pay for the damage?

How does that work?
Yes, call 311. They will point you the right direction. I blew my OE Brigstones when they dug 4" deep and foot wide channel accross 3rd avenue and failed to display any construction signs. That is how I got refunded for my Star Specs. You will print form online and will have to file it with NYC comptroller. Include all receipt of replacement and documented pictures of where the accident took place.

Just a heads up thought, it takes a while before you will see money. It took em almost a year in my case. I do not see myself go through this for a small damage, but when we are talking close to a grand then hell yeah I want someone to pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #25
competition
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C

damn, sorry to hear about your wheel. same thing happened to my friend's 135i out here in california. non stop rains for about a month created ginormous craters in the earth and his wheel turned out exactly like yours.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #26
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

This is how to file the claim.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4579013_dama...york-city.html
      02-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #27
mike06612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 convertible

Hopefully this reply is in time.

The city has a form online you download and submit for damage claims.

This is important, so make sure you follow these instructions.

The city has a very specific definition for what they consider a pot hole that is covered by their policy for reimbursement.

That's explained someplace on their website, a google will get you to the right place in the city's website. The definition is something like over a certain amount deep, the substrate has to be showing through the asphalt, etc.

If you claim damage at just a hole in the road they don't consider a pot hole, they will deny you even if that is where your tire got messed up. If your pot hole doesn't fit their definition, find one that does so they will not just deny the claim saying it's not an official pot hole.

The claim form is here

http://www.comptroller.nyc.gov/burea...mage_claim.pdf

The city defines a pothole as

Potholes are characterized by a definable bottom surface such as dirt or gravel.

So make sure what you list as the location on the form was a deep enough hole for them to consider it covered (examples of the city's definitions are on this page - http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/mot...lephotos.shtml

and if possible submit pictures of the hole with the claim.

The BMW insurance by the way is totally painless. We had to pay the dealer, and I believe they submitted the claim for us, a couple weeks later a check arrived.

If you get a check from the city it will probably take a very long time, over a year.
Appreciate 0