BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Winter Tires Sticky 2015/2016 season

--The basics :

Get snow tires appropriate to your climate and driving style. If you don't see much snow during the winter, and you like to drive/corner fast on cold dry roads then look into the "high performance" winter tires like the Bridgestone Blizzak LM32, Dunlop Winter Sport 4D or the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4.

If your area gets heavier snow or you just really want some extra confidence when conditions are at their worst, then look into a more aggressive snow tire. Among the best of this type are the Blizzak WS-80, Michelin XI3 , and Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c. Winter tires like these will offer the best in snow and ice traction, but will give up some dry road responsiveness over the more performance-oriented snow tires to get that additional winter traction. These tires have come a long way in the past ten to fifteen years, with a couple now made in H speed ratings that are not as squirmy as those of the past.

You may want to lean towards one of the more aggressive snow tires like those listed above if one or more of the following are true :

-Your geographical area gets heavy snowfall and/or lake effect snow.

-You are often driving on packed snow and ice.

-You are just willing to give up some dry grip and steering response for maximum safe winter traction.

-Your do not have the option of staying off of the roads when conditions are severe.

-These tires are for a newer driver or for a driver who needs much more confidence when driving in winter conditions.

Choosing between these two categories may be difficult and is mostly a personal preference choice for the trade off between snow traction versus dry road handling. However it is important to keep in mind what your worst conditions will be as that is the time when you'll need the traction the most! Driving on a dry road is pretty easy, it is when the weather gets rough that things get more challenging.

--New/Updated this season and reminders from last season :

Last year, Bridgestone replaced their top snow and ice traction tire, the Blizzak WS-70, with a new model, the Blizzak WS-80,. The newer tire has a higher speed rating, more stable handling than previous generations while improving snow and ice traction. After a full winter season of experience with the new WS80, we have been impressed with the tires winter capabilities and it now holds the top spot in our customer survey data. This continues a trend of these more aggressive snow tires getting slightly better in snow and ice over the years while getting much better in regards to dry road feel. While they are not performance tires, these are not nearly as squirmy as aggressive snow tires of the past. They feel more like an all-season tire in dry conditions.

Also new last year on the value-side of the studless ice and snow tire market, was the Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c. While this model didn't quite keep up with the best tires in our ice testing, it was a very close third and its price point is noticeably lower in most sizes. After a year of data and feedback, we can still recommend it for a good choice for those looking for a more value-oriented studless winter snow tire.

The cost effective Sport Edition A7 is available in both silver and black. A newer design based on the A7 style is now available in black, silver and titanium gunmetal, called the Sport Edition A8. All of these styles accept the BMW center cap and work well.

FAQ's:

Will 17" wheels fit over the brakes on my 135i? What about Sport or M-Sport models?

Yes, we have several models of wheels that will clear the brakes and work well. Two of the more popular choices have been the Sport Edition A7 and A8, as these are inexpensive, durable, and accept BMW center caps. View the complete list of 17" that fit, and current prices here : http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AW7&...nter/index.jsp . Just enter the year and model of car, then select 17" packages.

Do I have to buy runflat winter tires or can I use non runflat tires? What about TPMS sensors?

Its completely up to you. You can use either run flat or non runflat tires for winter. The runflat versions tend to cost more and ride a bit more stiffly, but not to the point where most would find them harsh as these are much softer riding than summer tires. Keep in mind that the vehicle has no spare tire. You can search the forum for possible solutions like a spare tire kit (we don't sell one, sorry), but most using non runflats either simply run without a spare or use one of their summer wheels/tires in the trunk, or a can of fix-a-flat.

Sensors are available through us, roughly $55 per corner including valve stems as of this post. If you purchase them at the same time as your tire wheel package, we will mount them in the wheels for no charge. You can activate your sensors by following simple instructions in your owners manual. Please note that due to liability issues and recent NHTSA documents, if you do not purchase TPMS sensors with a tire and wheel package you will need to answer 'yes' when asked if you plan to purchase sensors locally.

Which 17" winter wheels accept BMW center caps? How can I get BMW caps added to my order?

The Sport Edition A7and Sport Edition A8, and MSW type 25 have been some of the most popular and readily available winter wheels that accept BMW center caps. I can include BMW center caps on your order for $17 each - simply refer to "Gary/add caps17" as your previous contact at the end of your online order, or call in the order to me directly.

I'm just going to mount tires on my factory 18" Sport wheels because I have aftermarket wheels for summer or just don't want to buy another set of wheels. What sizing can I use? The OE setup is 215/40R18 front and the rear is 245/35R18.

Yes, you can use 225/40R18 on both the front 7.5" wheels and the rear 8.5" OE wheels with no problem. This is actually very common to do. Eliminating the stagger in this way works very well for winter and results in better winter traction. 215/40R18 is not a common size, and currently just one winter tire is made in that size.

There are so many choices it is overwhelming! What are most doing? What do you recommend for a good package?

I would recommend 17" for winter use on the 135i using a 225/45R17 tire size on all four corners. There are handful of wheels we carry that will clear the brakes and work well. Two of the more popular choices have been the Sport Edition A7 and the updated A8. For maximum winter traction, consider the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80 or Michelin XiceXi3. For more of a balance between winter traction and dry road handling/cornering check out the Bridgestone Blizzak LM32, or the Dunlop Winter Sport 4D.

128i cars can use the same setup, or use 16" with 205/55R16 for even better snow traction

--A final word of advice : Don't wait too long. Ordering early when most products are still available lets you choose what you want to buy rather than being forced to settle for what is left over. Best to be ready with products in hand before it snows so that you can put them on when you are ready rather than waiting for a shipment to arrive after the first snow. We should have most inventory available in early October. Tires and wheels purchased together are mounted and balanced at no charge to make changeover easy.

Here is a direct link to the winter tires area :

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AW7&...nter/index.jsp

Don't forget to refer to 'Gary/1Addicts' when you order online so that I can look over the order and get the forum credit for the sale.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.

Last edited by Gary@TireRack; 09-25-2015 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 2