BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

11-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Joe98
Rep
Drives:

Is there anyway you can request a dipstick?

I was just curious, because im not really down with the whole no dipstick thing. I feel wierd having to check the engine oil through the onboard computer. My friend recently bought a 2007 Mini S and he requested it be delivered with a dipstick. I wonder if you can do that with BMW's :iono: ? If so would it cost extra?

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

See if you can get the dealer to throw one in along with the floormats. :biggrin::tongue:
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I have a spare one in the garage you can have. :wink: No, the engine is not designed for a dipstick. I'm pretty sure you don't want to drill a hole in the block and fit one though.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
elusiveguy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post
I was just curious, because im not really down with the whole no dipstick thing. I feel wierd having to check the engine oil through the onboard computer. My friend recently bought a 2007 Mini S and he requested it be delivered with a dipstick. I wonder if you can do that with BMW's :iono: ? If so would it cost extra?
That would be great if they could do that, but I guess checking with the onboard computer won't be too bad. Just make sure you put the drain bolt back on. :biggrin: It does kind of make me feel like BMW doesn't want me working on the car though.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Please forgive my ignorance. But what is the big deal? Is there some sick obsession with seeing the oil on the stick in your hand?? Or is it that you dont trust the computer?
      11-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

yes, you can order one from the parts store and you can set it in your trunk?

where do you expect to put this dipstick. as said before, you probably don't want to be drilling a hole into the block.

the computers are already controlling a whole lot on the car. you don't think they can handle a simple level indication?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 11:22 PM   #7
MOTO69JOE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

the only dipstick in your car will be you if you walk into the dealer and request that.......no offense man.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 12:44 AM   #8
elusiveguy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Please forgive my ignorance. But what is the big deal? Is there some sick obsession with seeing the oil on the stick in your hand?? Or is it that you dont trust the computer?
I guess I got used to it being an easy way to check the level/condition of the oil. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 01:25 AM   #9
Joe98
Rep
Drives:

ok ok .. I sense a bit of sarcasm here. I see now that the block was not designed to have a dipstick, so I guess it wouldnt be possible to get one. I just asked because I was curious, and my buddy did tell me that the dealer hooked him up. I guess the 1.6 block in the r56 mini cooper is able to in fact accept a dipstick, it just comes plugged from the factory.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 02:01 AM   #10
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Actually there are a lot of us who think BMW is a dipstick for not including one in the design of the new engine. And yes, I'm almost 100% positive I've read at least one account of someone having his engine block drilled and retrofitted with a dipstick. As I recall it wasn't terribly expensive to do. Do a search on bimmerfest.

I also know I've read more than one account of BMW techs having to drain the oil out of a car and measure it to determine an oil level sensor was faulty and giving an incorrect reading. There are numerous accounts of faulty oil level sensors posted over at bimmerfest.com.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #11
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Actually there are a lot of us who think BMW is a dipstick for not including one in the design of the new engine. And yes, I'm almost 100% positive I've read at least one account of someone having his engine block drilled and retrofitted with a dipstick. As I recall it wasn't terribly expensive to do. Do a search on bimmerfest.

I also know I've read more than one account of BMW techs having to drain the oil out of a car and measure it to determine an oil level sensor was faulty and giving an incorrect reading. There are numerous accounts of faulty oil level sensors posted over at bimmerfest.com.
Exactly why this kind of technology for technology's sake is just stupid.:mad:

The idea of taking something that is 100% acurate, & lead hammer reliable, and turning it into a computer controlled electronic sensor is craziness!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #12
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
Exactly why this kind of technology for technology's sake is just stupid.:mad:

The idea of taking something that is 100% acurate, & lead hammer reliable, and turning it into a computer controlled electronic sensor is craziness!

Agreed .. 100% ...

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Back when they moved to the "no dipstick" way of life, there were sooo many people bitching about "what if the oil level sensor goes bad?". Well, I suppose that is a possibility, but nobody has had that problem yet on any BMW board that I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 08:36 AM   #14
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Back when they moved to the "no dipstick" way of life, there were sooo many people bitching about "what if the oil level sensor goes bad?". Well, I suppose that is a possibility, but nobody has had that problem yet on any BMW board that I've seen.
I guess you didn't read my post very carefully. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=oil+sensor - just one of many that came up with a quick search.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #15
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess you didn't read my post very carefully. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=oil+sensor - just one of many that came up with a quick search.
I remember those, but when the sensor fails, the light comes on. It would be bad if the sensor failed and did not let you know of a low oil level issue. It seemed to be a problem with just 328xi and 328xits for a few month period that they have resolved.

You can cause as much damage running with with too much oil as with not enough oil... I also wish that they had a dipstick. Sounded like they are catering to the stereotypical BMW driver who will never open the hood.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #16
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

I see the no-dipstick concept as BMW's relenting application of technology for the sake of implementing technology...for better or worse. I just hope this idea isn't as disastrous as the electrical systems on old 7-ers of the 80's or the early S54 engines going ka-blamo!
      11-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #17
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

...maybe I missed something here, but it seems like most you are refering you idrive when you talk about the computer, and it showing the oil level...correct?:iono:

If that's the case, what happens if you don't have idrive?...Or are simply refering to a light in the dash that pops on if the oil level is too low?

Either way, I'm with the "I'd prefer to have a dipstick" crowd...Even if you never do your own oil changes, it's still always a a good thing to have the ability to periodically check the oil level :wink:
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #18
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If you have idrive, you get a visual representation on the screen. You also have a oil level check (and visual representation) on the check control function accessed from the OBC functionality from the blinker stalk (all cars have this).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #19
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
If you have idrive, you get a visual representation on the screen. You also have a oil level check (and visual representation) on the check control function accessed from the OBC functionality from the blinker stalk (all cars have this).
Ahhhh...thanks for clarifing that
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #20
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I see the no-dipstick concept as BMW's relenting application of technology for the sake of implementing technology...for better or worse. I just hope this idea isn't as disastrous as the electrical systems on old 7-ers of the 80's or the early S54 engines going ka-blamo!
Actually, it's merely another way of insuring that you go to the dealer for every little service item. No mystery there. The first time I ran into this was when the automatic transmission in my son's '93 325is went into limp mode. Of course we tried to check the fluid. Surprise! No f'n dipstick. What made this particularly infuriating was that the tranny was sourced from GM, and the same unit in GM cars had a dipstick. :mad:

...and doubly infuriating because my son never wanted an automatic to begin with.

There's no logical rationale for a dipstick-less car other than what I posted above. Most of us know this; the few who defend it are the same types who will have the car put on a flatbed when the Check Engine Light comes on.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 11:36 AM   #21
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post

Explain why...?

When is the last time you touched a dipstick? OR had use of one? There is no need!

The rationale is that you own a BMW. If something is a matter with your car.. it will tell you, then all you do is drive it in and drive away with a brand new loaner and a hot cup of coffee until they call you back! Why drive around WORRIED... like you cannot sleep and you cannot live not knowing your oil level?

You own a BMW.... it's their problem. Oil level is no concern for the driver/owner... just the dealer! Wake up!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #22
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garrett, I assume you don;t keep your cars for long, and I'd never want one of your former cars...

Btw, just try to get a "brand new BMW loaner" for an oil change on a 1er... I have a tough time getting a BMW loaner at one of the more lenient dealers for my e90 330i (and I've bought 4 new cars from them).
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread