BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
The_Stig2
Rep
Drives: Audi A4..for now

Buying Timeline?

I'm in a lease that ends at the end of May and I'm wondering what the availability timeline is for a 135i. Ideally, I'd love to pick one up at the end of April or at the beginning of May in North Carolina and drive it back, but due to some other circumstances and the release of the 1 I'm wondering if that's still an option.

What timeline is everyone else looking at? Could I even order for a PDC pickup from my dealer now?

On a side note - where are the potential Dallas buyers looking to go? Classic? BMW of Dallas? I've heard that we can get better prices from smaller towns in the area (Tyler and Temple specifically) but I'm wondering if that would even matter for the first year release of a car like this.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stig View Post
I'm in a lease that ends at the end of May and I'm wondering what the availability timeline is for a 135i. Ideally, I'd love to pick one up at the end of April or at the beginning of May in North Carolina and drive it back, but due to some other circumstances and the release of the 1 I'm wondering if that's still an option.

What timeline is everyone else looking at? Could I even order for a PDC pickup from my dealer now?

On a side note - where are the potential Dallas buyers looking to go? Classic? BMW of Dallas? I've heard that we can get better prices from smaller towns in the area (Tyler and Temple specifically) but I'm wondering if that would even matter for the first year release of a car like this.
Couple of things... the Performance Delivery Center is in South Carolina, so be careful in making those flight reservations. :wink:

The official "release" is March 22, but the timeline is of course dependent on your dealer and how their allocations and buyer queue shake out. My deposit is in with Classic in Plano, and I was #2 when I placed it in October. They didn't start taking deposits until shortly before I went in, so that may be a good place to start.

Another option to consider is European Delivery... since it doesn't come from dealer allocation, it may be a little easier to get a specific date on a high-demand model. Then again, April is the first month available for 1ers via ED, so those dates could be hard to come by as well... and then there's the ~6 weeks in the interim while you wait for US delivery.

As for me, I am leaning toward doing a Euro delivery on the earliest date I can get, then picking it up stateside at the Performance Delivery Center.

I'd find a dealer/CA and start talking to 'em now to weigh your options.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Hi our tamed racing driver. Some say
      12-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Si Z4R & Si X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
Couple of things... the Performance Delivery Center is in South Carolina, so be careful in making those flight reservations. :wink:

The official "release" is March 22, but the timeline is of course dependent on your dealer and how their allocations and buyer queue shake out. My deposit is in with Classic in Plano, and I was #2 when I placed it in October. They didn't start taking deposits until shortly before I went in, so that may be a good place to start.

Another option to consider is European Delivery... since it doesn't come from dealer allocation, it may be a little easier to get a specific date on a high-demand model. Then again, April is the first month available for 1ers via ED, so those dates could be hard to come by as well... and then there's the ~6 weeks in the interim while you wait for US delivery.

As for me, I am leaning toward doing a Euro delivery on the earliest date I can get, then picking it up stateside at the Performance Delivery Center.

I'd find a dealer/CA and start talking to 'em now to weigh your options.

I'm not flaming you but when you say that ED is not from dealer inventory allocation.. where did you get that info?? It hasnt been comfirmed to my dealership yet and oftern isnt released till the whole alocation is given..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stig View Post

Thanks!

I'm working with Classic .. only because of location .. it is closer to me than BMW of Dallas ... I am guessing it won't matter much for the first year run ... I just made sure I get mine for MSRP .... For this first year, it may be hard to get one under MSRP ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast kiwi View Post
I'm not flaming you but when you say that ED is not from dealer inventory allocation.. where did you get that info?? It hasnt been comfirmed to my dealership yet and oftern isnt released till the whole alocation is given..
Hi... I think it's just general knowledge that ED cars have not come out of the dealership's allocation in the past. There has been a national ED allocation set because the Freimann Delivery Center could only handles X number of deliveries/day, including non-ED deliveries. With the opening of BMW Welt, that number should greatly increase, in theory.

Are you saying you may think or have heard otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I thought I read somewhere that certain cars count towards dealership allocation regardless of ED. I think the M cars fit in that category and some 'hot' new vehicles do also. But I may be wrong.

Fast Kiwi, is that close to reality?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really shouldn't divulge my sources, but I'll make an exception in this case. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
B25 Jim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Just stopped by my dealer today during lunch. He was getting more info, said that since I was #4 on the list I was looking at early to mid April, and that is with ED.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I really shouldn't divulge my sources, but I'll make an exception in this case. :biggrin:

Sorry.. Wrong.. (although i know its not your fault)

example... 335cic.. right now they dont count but they have when numbers were low and the convert was just a hot hot hot item..

thus my point, if the 1er is as HOT as its said its gonna be then i bet you'll see at least the first one's coming from dealer allocation.. and then it will all depend on the "hotness" of the car..

and at the VERY LEAST.. there's no way to tell right now.. anything that has been said to a dealer is pure speculation..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
I thought I read somewhere that certain cars count towards dealership allocation regardless of ED. I think the M cars fit in that category and some 'hot' new vehicles do also. But I may be wrong.

Fast Kiwi, is that close to reality?

this is exactly what im saying yes..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry.. Wrong.. (although i know its not your fault)

and at the VERY LEAST.. there's no way to tell right now.. anything that has been said to a dealer is pure speculation..
I agree that it's all speculation at this point. I'm just citing the expert speculation of someone with what could safely be called vast ED experience. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree that it's all speculation at this point. I'm just citing the expert speculation of someone with what could safely be called vast ED experience. :wink:

Yeah i know.. and thats a fair call taking that advice but then as ive only got a few years with BMW in the U.S under my belt.. i got my boss in on the question..... and he's been with the firm for 17 years.. so my money is on the wait and see but i doubt it theory.. lol :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #14
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

I spoke with a CA at Classic and I was told since my lease was not up until the end of July that I need to come in around April/May time frame to insure delievery by Aug/Sept
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #15
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

We are bagging ED due to the rapid escalation of the Euro vs. dollar and the fact the car would not be available for enough 2008 SCCA Solo events to qualify for regional championship points.

Performance Delivery is looking real good. Where do I get more info on PD?
      12-11-2007, 11:47 AM   #16
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
Where do I get more info on PD?
http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/...r/delivery.htm
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136 (At least one Perf Center employee participates in that thread)
Or, ask your CA at your local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #17
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/...r/delivery.htm
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136 (At least one Perf Center employee participates in that thread)
Or, ask your CA at your local dealer.
Thanks, plien69!
      12-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #18
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

My ZHP came from Classic, before they moved, any observation on how do they treat repeat customers? I'll be doing ED as well...

My local BMW dealership is great on service, not so great on sales, I dont mind the drive...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2007, 07:01 PM   #19
The_Stig2
Rep
Drives: Audi A4..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I'm working with Classic .. only because of location .. it is closer to me than BMW of Dallas ... I am guessing it won't matter much for the first year run ... I just made sure I get mine for MSRP .... For this first year, it may be hard to get one under MSRP ..

Crowley
I visited Classic for the first time the past week while looking for a CPO'd X5 for my wife - the dealership is gorgeous - are you working with anyone in particular and/or can you recommend anyone?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0