BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Ikon M4 Spoiler Opinions

Been eyeing the Ikon M4-style spoiler on Amazon. Anyone have input on the fitment of their parts?

Helped my friend install their S550 RTR grille and the fitment was solid, but I'm still on the fence about (what is presumably) Chinese parts. Comes pre-painted black sapphire metallic for ~$130 shipped.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Tut4u2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M3 Conversion

I had both their CF and non-CF version. The non-CF version fitment is excellent. Holds on well even the subpar double sided tape they provide.

The CF version is okay. The mold is slightly different and it doesn't really extend to the face to the trunk so I think it looks weird/worse than the non-CF version. It goes on the trunk well as well but I did have to use genuine 3M tape.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tut4u2 View Post
I had both their CF and non-CF version. The non-CF version fitment is excellent. Holds on well even the subpar double sided tape they provide.

The CF version is okay. The mold is slightly different and it doesn't really extend to the face to the trunk so I think it looks weird/worse than the non-CF version. It goes on the trunk well as well but I did have to use genuine 3M tape.
Does the adhesive come pre-applied? Also how is the adhesive quality (3M or some bootleg Chinese crap)? Seriously considering the non-CF M4 spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
Tut4u2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M3 Conversion

Low quality adhesive and it doesn't come pre applied.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Heard good things about the Icon knockoffs. That said, really not a fan of the notch in the M4 spoiler, very contrary to bangle-BMW design. I really wish someone would make a version with the notch filled in (other than Boca/Mode).

But that's just me. If you like it, try it!
b1aze565.50
      08-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #6
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

I kept wanting to like the style but never was able to. Something about the lines from the top just didn’t look right.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:35 AM   #7
LUX_nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 Sedona Red 135i

I was on the fence when I ordered mine but after the install I absolutely love it. Especially with the rieger diffuser. It's not for everyone but I've gotten nothing but compliments on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
Nick walters
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUX_nyc View Post
I was on the fence when I ordered mine but after the install I absolutely love it. Especially with the rieger diffuser. It's not for everyone but I've gotten nothing but compliments on it.
Where did you get the reiger diffuser from I can't find it anywhere to buy it in the us?
      08-15-2020, 11:28 PM   #9
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That looks great, especially with the diffuser! Unfortunately my car doesn't have the M-sport bumper, but I still think it'll look great.

Did you install using the included adhesive? Tut4u@ mentioned that it doesn't come pre-applied, so I'm planning on ordering some 3M tape.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 11:52 PM   #10
LUX_nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick walters View Post
Quote:
Where did you get the reiger diffuser from I can't find it anywhere to buy it in the us?
It's from eBay. Someone in another thread asked about it also. It seems that rieger has discontinued it and the eBay sellers that used to sell it are sold out. Best bet would be to contact some of those eBay sellers and see if they are going to make another production run.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 11:58 PM   #11
LUX_nyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
Quote:
That looks great, especially with the diffuser! Unfortunately my car doesn't have the M-sport bumper, but I still think it'll look great.

Did you install using the included adhesive? Tut4u@ mentioned that it doesn't come pre-applied, so I'm planning on ordering some 3M tape.
In my personal opinion, if you have a 128i I'd stick with the M Performance spoiler. The M4 style will look out of place without other cosmetic mods to compliment it.

I had my own 3M tape but ended up being too wide to apply to both the leading and trailing edge, so I used the supplied tape (it was labeled 3M, whether it's genuine I don't know). It isn't difficult just take your time and make sure to properly prep both the trunk and spoiler before applying.

It's holding up well in the center section but it is lifting on one of the edges. I feel like it may be the mold of the spoiler not sitting perfectly flush but I could also be an error I made during install.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 12:29 AM   #12
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In my personal opinion, if you have a 128i I'd stick with the M Performance spoiler. The M4 style will look out of place without other cosmetic mods to compliment it.

I had my own 3M tape but ended up being too wide to apply to both the leading and trailing edge, so I used the supplied tape (it was labeled 3M, whether it's genuine I don't know). It isn't difficult just take your time and make sure to properly prep both the trunk and spoiler before applying.

It's holding up well in the center section but it is lifting on one of the edges. I feel like it may be the mold of the spoiler not sitting perfectly flush but I could also be an error I made during install.
Appreciate the input, and to each his own. I just prefer the
M4 style spoiler. A diffuser definitely compliments it well, but I think it'll go well on my alpine white car. In an ideal world I'd add a quad exhaust to add some symmetry, but that is way more time and money than I'd like to invest.

Planning on giving the car a good wash and clay before installing, and using the hinge method to line everything up.
Appreciate 0