BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #23
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson413 View Post
Thanks for response man. Looks good.
Few more questions if you don't mind. What did you do with that hose that usually goes to intake pipe,right before turbo? I think it's called pcv,where we usually put catch can? And one more question did you replace your bearings? If yes, can you please tell me which one did you get? Cause I'm about to do my bearings and wanna see which ones people use.
Oh and one more where did you get this filter?
Thanks a lot.
No problem for the PCV hose, a new one came with the Speedtech Stage 3 kit that goes to their inlet. You should be able to see it in place of the old one in the pictures I sent. Same thing with the cone filter, it was a part of the kit.

As for the bearings I have King Bearings in there. A good upgrade in my honest opinion if you're determined to replace them preventatively.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #24
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost135i View Post
Quote:
Thanks for response man. Looks good.
Few more questions if you don't mind. What did you do with that hose that usually goes to intake pipe,right before turbo? I think it's called pcv,where we usually put catch can? And one more question did you replace your bearings? If yes, can you please tell me which one did you get? Cause I'm about to do my bearings and wanna see which ones people use.
Oh and one more where did you get this filter?
Thanks a lot.
No problem for the PCV hose, a new one came with the Speedtech Stage 3 kit that goes to their inlet. You should be able to see it in place of the old one in the pictures I sent. Same thing with the cone filter, it was a part of the kit.

As for the bearings I have King Bearings in there. A good upgrade in my honest opinion if you're determined to replace them preventatively.
Got it. Do you have a link on the bearings you purchased?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #25
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry no, I was not the one to source them.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #26
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry no, I was not the one to source them.
No problem. Thanks for all the info.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 04:01 PM   #27
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Any updates? How is the motiv tuning going? Any logs you could share?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #28
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Any updates? How is the motiv tuning going? Any logs you could share?
Car is still running good, and still actively tuning with Motiv dialing things in.

No major issues, just some hardware hiccups. Was seeing some issues when losing traction going WOT in lower gears on my E30 map, so we dialed some things back, but I just cleaned my MAF sensor last week and that looks like it fixed that issue.

Other than that I may be replacing my injectors soon. For some reason on a cold start, even after letting the car warm up for several minutes, when I initially put it in reverse and back out of my driveway, the RPMs dip and then there is a small throttle surge. This has been happening since the car was stock.... Also, 50% of the time after heavy throttle, if I let the car idle in gear (at a red light for example) the RPMs will begin to fluctuate and dip below 600 then the throttle will suddenly surge almost like it wants to recover from stalling, which is the behavior I see when I put the car in reverse for the first time in a day like I mentioned. Talked to Motiv and they said they saw an issue like that with one of their daily N55s before and it ended up being an injector, so I'm thinking about replacing them.

All in all, that's really the only thing I can complain about at this moment, the car is running perfectly fine otherwise. No oil or coolant loss. I will attach some logs later today.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #29
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Good to hear. There are couple sticky threads in this forum that talk about lurching and how they were resolved. My car used to do that years ago and there was a sib that fixed it. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: attached one sib I found. The dealership did not know it existed back then so I took this copy with me and there were able to do the update. As you will see it’s from 2013 so there may be a newer one. But if you look at the situation section it describes the behavior you are experiencing.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf N55-DCT-Stalling-TSB.pdf (184.0 KB, 234 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #30
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear. There are couple sticky threads in this forum that talk about lurching and how they were resolved. My car used to do that years ago and there was a sib that fixed it. Let me see if I can find it.
Hmm okay if you find it please send it to me. Thank you! However, my car doesn't lurch or move at all when this happens, would that still be categorized as the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #31
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Just posted one. Your car probably isn’t lurching because your foot is on the break but as you would guess if your foot was slightly off the break and your RPMs fluctuated up it may cause the car to lurch forward. None of the descriptions are exact but as long as you could find something similar the dealership should be able to update your software if you’re under warranty I guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #32
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just posted one. Your car probably isn't lurching because your foot is on the break but as you would guess if your foot was slightly off the break and your RPMs fluctuated up it may cause the car to lurch forward. None of the descriptions are exact but as long as you could find something similar the dealership should be able to update your software if you're under warranty I guess.
Interesting i'll take a look thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #33
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey ghost. Can you please share pictures of your engine bay? I wanna see how you did your short filter and if you relocate your coolant tank.
Thanks in advance.
Sure here you go, just ran out to take a few. Nothing special really, the average person probably wouldn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I actually did not have to relocate the coolant tank, although things are sort of tight, there is just enough room and no issues with anything. I like this cone setup much more than the traditional setup because it gives you so much more room to work, and less things to take apart on the intake side.

I circled in yellow the extended MAF wiring in the one picture so you can see how I routed it. Again, nothing crazy, but I would recommend clocking the MAF sensor towards the back of the car like I did. Originally, I wanted to have it facing the serpentine belt, but it's very tight and rubs on an oil line, and the valve cover that way.
Hey Ghost.
Sorry to bother again. I'm about to order the same mass air flow adapter and on their website it says it fits n52 and n53 sensor. Is it good for our engine n55?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #34
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Ghost.
Sorry to bother again. I'm about to order the same mass air flow adapter and on their website it says it fits n52 and n53 sensor. Is it good for our engine n55?
Yes that is the one, it will fit.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #35
tyson413
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Ghost.
Yes that is the one, it will fit.
Thanks a lot man!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:51 PM   #36
alairealtois
Rep

how did your rod bearings look when you took them off? also how many miles did you have when you swapped them?

I'm contemplating on replacing mine as everyone says N55 have rod bearings that go bad but most local shops and techs near me say they hold up really well.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #37
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alairealtois View Post
how did your rod bearings look when you took them off? also how many miles did you have when you swapped them?

I'm contemplating on replacing mine as everyone says N55 have rod bearings that go bad but most local shops and techs near me say they hold up really well.
I replaced mine at 77k just simply for peace of mind since I am now pushing this engine harder than it's intended to be from the factory. Could I have kept the stock bearings in there? Most likely, but I like to take extra precautions with almost everything I do. I am also unsure how long I will be keeping the car, but even if I end up selling it soon, I would like the next owner to be assured that this engine is healthy and has a long life ahead of it.

My opinion of the N55 rod bearing failures are that they are likely due to less than ideal maintenance, not allowing the car to warm up properly after cold starts, and also the oil sump system which more-so applies to track use. This is likely why the M235R, and M2 have a revised oil sump that is more ideal for preventing starvation on track.

Here is a picture of mine at 77k
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dtla1827.50
      09-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #38
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Do you have a 93 only tune as well? Any idea what power it makes if so?

I want to figure out what I'm doing with my x1 with n55 too, not rushing things. Wish it ran right with the maf delete but oh well. Nice seeing such a high power n55.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:18 AM   #39
Seder
Registered
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E82 N55, Rx-7 FD

Excited to see this build progress, been watching it for a while now. I have the same turbo on my Rx-7 and plan on swapping it over to the N55 e82. Need to figure out the DCT coding & tuning first however. Anyways hope you sort out any remaining hiccups!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #40
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update!

The speedtech turbo outlet ended up rubbing up against the exhaust manifold and burning a hole through it creating a massive boost leak. I pulled the car into the garage for a while to fix everything. I dropped the subframe and found that the turbo could have been clocked slightly more away from the manifold, so I was able to do so while installing the new outlet to prevent this from happening again. The outlet provided from speedtech needed modification to make it adjustable. For some reason my application was having issues and the outlet would severely kink when attached to the turbo and intercooler.

I also went over all the charge piping from the intercooler to throttle body to make sure there were no leaks. The car honestly feels like it gained another 20 horses... It's incredible. I feel like there may have always been a leak on the outlet early on after installation, because it's never felt faster.

Yesterday, I took the car on a 90 mile foliage cruise through the backroads of north jersey. I drove the car 2 hours to get there, 2 INTENSE hours through the total cruise, and 1 hour home with ZERO engine issues. I'm super happy with Motiv for dialing things in to as great of an extent that they did to make this possible. The only issue was that I was not paying attention to my trans temps and I am pretty sure I overheated my trans and burnt the clutch packs in the DCT, because it slips when going WOT in 7th gear... This is definitely user error on my part. I should have let the car cool down more at stops, and also maybe added an upgraded trans oil cooler. It does have the XHP trans tune, but I think it was a temp issue not a tune issue. I am currently looking into upgrading to Dodson Sportsman Plus clutches so that I will have headroom for upgrading in the future.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #41
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Glad you got it all sorted out. Great job on this build.
I was wondering where you get your e85 in nj? I'm down by LBI and there is only 1 spot like 45 min away from here. Causing me to give up on my e50 tune and go with meth.
Btw I also have a motiv tune and am very happy with it

Last edited by Petro135; 10-26-2020 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #42
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
Good stuff in this thread. Glad you are happy with the results. I was wondering where your getting your e85 in nj? I live down by LBI and there is only 1 spot. Its like 45 min from me. Just curious.
Again great job!!
Thanks! I get mine at Mighty Joe's in shamong. I've tested their gas and it always comes in at E85. We're getting closer to winter though so I'd recommend testing it when you get it in case they get a lower ethanol content during the winter like a lot of stations do. I usually bring a couple 5 gallons jugs then store it and use as needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #43
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks! I get mine at Mighty Joe's in shamong. I've tested their gas and it always comes in at E85. We're getting closer to winter though so I'd recommend testing it when you get it in case they get a lower ethanol content during the winter like a lot of stations do. I usually bring a couple 5 gallons jugs then store it and use as needed.
Thats where I go, I love Mighty Joes!! Being right next to Atco they have all the goodies.
And lots of good spots to get logs out that way also.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #44
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro135 View Post
Thats where I go, I love Mighty Joes!! Being right next to Atco they have all the goodies.
And lots of good spots to get logs out that way also.
Yeah it's awesome out there haha. We'll have to meetup there sometime!
Appreciate 0