BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #23
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

My father never gave me anything but a roof over my head Garrett.....the double whammy is that I grew up in a very affluent area, where kids my age were wearing nice clothes and driving nice cars at 16.....I started working at 13 and made the decision to fit in by buying nicer clothes for myself vs saving for a car, a decision I regretted....since my father was such a prick, I missed out on after school activities, yearbook staff, debate team, all that fun stuff because I was working, either delivering papers to 100 homes, working for shit wages at a frozen yogurt shop, or some other crap job.....

The lessons I learned will be passed on to my kids....I want him to enjoy his younger years, as life only gets tougher as you get older and have more responsibilities. Also, I do want my son to work when hes 17, but at a job that pays good money like valet parking cars, a hotel bellman, or maybe waiting tables....i dont want him exploited earning $6 an hour at some shitty retail store or fast food job.....

Again, I consider schoolwork as a job.....my boys gets good grades, they get the world....bad grades = my wrath.....simple, yet effective

as you can tell, i'm passionate about this subject....i missed a great deal of my childhood because i worked at a young age to buy the things all my peers were given.....I dont want that for my kids....

wow, i enjoyed posting this....very therapeutic....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #24
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESLAASTRO View Post
My father never gave me anything but a roof over my head Garrett.....the double whammy is that I grew up in a very affluent area, where kids my age were wearing nice clothes and driving nice cars at 16.....I started working at 13 and made the decision to fit in by buying nicer clothes for myself vs saving for a car, a decision I regretted....since my father was such a prick, I missed out on after school activities, yearbook staff, debate team, all that fun stuff because I was working, either delivering papers to 100 homes, working for shit wages at a frozen yogurt shop, or some other crap job.....

The lessons I learned will be passed on to my kids....I want him to enjoy his younger years, as life only gets tougher as you get older and have more responsibilities. Also, I do want my son to work when hes 17, but at a job that pays good money like valet parking cars, a hotel bellman, or maybe waiting tables....i dont want him exploited earning $6 an hour at some shitty retail store or fast food job.....

Again, I consider schoolwork as a job.....my boys gets good grades, they get the world....bad grades = my wrath.....

as you can tell, i'm passionate about this subject....i missed a great deal of my childhood because i worked at a young age to buy the things all my peers were given.....I dont want that for my kids....

Me too. But it also builds character and a backbone to deal with real life events. I do not regret my father being hard on me.. though i think He did :frown:
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #25
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Therein lies our differences.....

I think giving my boys things to reward good grades = self esteem= confidence......confidence and a record of high academic achievement is what gives you the toughness to deal with the big bad world, not deprivation.....I figure, why should i throw roadblocks in front of my boys when they are A and B students?.....school for them is the equivalent of a job to me....I do well I'm rewarded handsomly.....why shouldnt it be the same for them?Conversely, if they make the choice to do poorly, they will incur my wrath....I mean, why the hell wouldnt I want my boys to be happy????....I can't wrap my mind around deliberately saying no just for the sake of saying no....

The "haves" i grew up with in high school who were given everything mostly had excellent grades. They now have jobs like ESPN commentator, Investment company President who contributes to Fox news with Neil Cavuto, Ben Stein, and Wayne Rogers, Doctors, Lawyers,
Entrepreneurs.....

I on the other hand, turned to drugs(recreationally, but at the expense of not doing my schoolwork), had poor grades, and a shredded self esteem...It is a parents responsibility to build self esteem in a child....to me, deprivation is not the answer....it is only by the grace of God, perseverence in my chosen profession,and a natural gift that is an advantage in my chosen profession, that I, at close to middle age am able to do nice things for my family, travel, save heartily for retirement, and buy my little BMW....

I truly believe that had my father been different in his philosophies, I would have been even more successful, without the struggles I had endured earlier on.....The past is the past though, and I still feel blessed.....and I'm a better father for it....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #26
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESLAASTRO View Post
based on the answers Ducati, I made up my mind, which I posted....also,you mentioned I cant get coral red in leatherette, an immediate deal breaker....thats right, jet black with coral red,.........do i now have your blessing? Not that I need it....afterall, theres no lack of replies to my Q.....maybe you should take some advice, and not read the thread, which I clearly and succinctly marked in the subject header, if you dont like the topic.....
You made up your mind based upon a few posts on a forum? Sounds like you do need my blessing. :tongue:

That said, now that the thread has derailed... Our backgrounds must not be so different. I think you're on the right track here.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #27
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Ducati:

I made up my mind to choose leather based on the expert opinions of the BMW enthusists on this board....what better place to get advice?....also, as stated before, no coral red in leatherette=deal breaker.......i must have coral red....

anyway, thanks for the affirmation....I really like these boards.....the moderators are cool, and they dont act like puppetmasters.....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #28
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

HOW BOUT SOME LEATHERETTE PICS??!!
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0