BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #67
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
marketing aimed at the i-pod... instant gratification generation, & serves no useful purpose other than increasing profits for the auto companies.
You're just mad cause you can' play your Meatloaf and Steely Dan 8-tracks in the car anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #68
imported_MnM135i
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Ok, I can't believe I'm wasting my time actually addressing this stuff, but here goes.

How on earth do you figure that pushing a button is easier than turning a key? I didn't say we should go back to crank starters on our cars.

All of this gimmicky crap like push button start, paddle shifters on (now pay attention here) "automatic transmissions" ... is just marketing aimed at the i-pod,text messaging, instant gratification generation, & serves no useful purpose other than increasing profits for the auto companies.

Now as for things like oil coolers, LSD, and lubricant change intervals are concerned, yes I do think they should be items included on a "premium sport coupe" manufactured by a company who's tag line is "The Ultimate Driving Machine".

Perhaps it's time for BMW's marketing people to change their motto to "The Ultimate High Tech Useless Gadet Machine".

Hmmm considering I am a part of this, "I-Pod,Texting, Instant gratification generation" I may not speak for the whole generation, maybe I am "old school" but I love a manual transmission and wouldn't trade it for a auto, DSG or not. I think that the push start is nice, a "bling" factor I guess, but if it is more expensive I would take a standard key any time of the year.

As far as some of the new technology they are integrating, although regular LSD may be better (always gonna be debatable) but we can't move forward without testing and tuning so to speak. Like the Active Steering, personally I don't know to much, but they are trying out technology to advance in the future, which I can't condemn.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #69
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
W3RD! The lack of the slippy diff and hydraulic steering on the 135i is shameful. But hey, look, we can get HD Radio!
Yea,I heard that Kubica really finds the i-pod adaptor indispensable while circling the Nurburgring!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #70
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Yea,I heard that Kubica really finds the i-pod adaptor indispensable while circling the Nurburgring!
I heard he doesn't drive his Sauber car as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #71
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

I cant believe that pushing a button is so hard for people. I can only imagine how difficult every other aspect of driving is.
      10-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #72
josh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 135i

Can we get a crank starter instead of a push starter? Think how much weight that would save.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #73
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Here's another little fact for those of you who think that nothing important happened before Al Gore invented the internet, might find interesting. Some of the very first automobiles with electric starters were operated by (brace yourself) a bush button!

So the next time you're pushing that cool plastic starter button on your new car, keep in mind that your great grandfather was probably doing the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #74
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

But with his foot!! (They were on the floor - and I'll have you know I may be a grandfather - but not a great grandfather! ; -)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 07:19 PM   #75
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
But with his foot!! (They were on the floor - and I'll have you know I may be a grandfather - but not a great grandfather! ; -)
LOL Yea, I believe there were both floor buttons & dash mounted also.

This stuff must sound like science fiction to our younger members!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #76
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Yeah - I'm not a great grandfather - I'm a lousy grandfather ; -)

I'll dig a bit and see if I can find a pic of a 'dashboard' button on an early electric start.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #77
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
These types of topics sort of crack me up...most everyone will come to the own conclusion about how they want their car configured. It's not like were going to reach some sort of consensus or something.
agreed, but it can be entertaining some times:biggrin:

I miss 6 or 7 hours of the post ab this thing is 4 pages long. I'm not reading through it so my answer to the original post is yes the only option I'm getting on my 135i is the sports package :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #78
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Oh yeah, i forgot about the sport package. I said earlier that leather would be the only option but now the sport pack is absolutely necessary because of the oil cooler.
      10-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #79
fishbulb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Pretty close for me. It already comes with Xenons - those are a much after the MINI....

Sport is a no-brainer, esp. since it gets the Oil Cooler (not to mention M-wheel and Shadowline....)

Heated Seats are a must (for me). I don't care for a stuffy cabin, so windows down and seat heaters on is common...

The rest...well, that will depend on price and quality of the standard parts. If the leatherette is ok, I'll go with it. Going for TiAg, so i would most likely get black anyway. With there was a cloth option, oh well. Maybe the Terra if it is the business....

If the sound is good stock, I'll go with it.

All hard calls - I expect to own the 135 for many, many years - it fits my needs!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #80
Taz
Rep
Drives: SLK32

I was at first interested in the navi, upgraded sound system, HD, BT and iPod interface but the price for all this is absurd for what you get. I'll go with just the sport pack and keep a decent portable nav system. I plan on ED and I'd have to shell out another $165 for the Euro nav disc on top of it all.

I can put in one hell of a sound/nav system for the almost 4k I would have sunk into the factory upgrades. $400 for an iPod interface is PURE gouging! Its not like their audio offerings are that great anyway. I listened to the upgraded sound package in the 335i and it was worse than that in my 3 year old Acura TL and the nav wasn't near as intuitive. If they would offer the nav without iDrive I might be interested in it.

Problem is nav units advance pretty quickly so even a good one now is surpassed very quickly next year so it still can be a tough call. I like the integrated look but I'll likely go with an indash aftermarket nav if someone comes up with a decent dash enclosure. So for now, all I need is the sport package and maybe heated seats. I too want a cloth interior!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #81
drogers
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Boy this cracks me up. Around here the stealerships fill their allotments with fully optioned cars, then add as many dealer installs as they can get away with in order to max out their margins. Lots of dealers won't even bother ordering one for you, as it counts against their allotment, which they are going to sell out of anyway.

Unless the 1er drop-tops sit on dealer lots for extended periods of time, I will be stuck either buying a loaded one (which I don't want) or going ED (which I don't have time for but would like to do anyway)... ARGH!

BTW - nice community you have here, glad I found ya!
Appreciate 0