BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #23
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Well, maybe it's a disappointment for you but for those who are less discriminate we still love it.

Give me a couple alternatives around 30k with good balance and the same or better tunig potentials.
I never said it was a disappointment, I said I was ecpecting more. 34?? lbs its pushin the scales a lil especially if this is suppose to be a 2002 remake. I was hoping it would be closer to 3000lbs.

They car is still great and I still plan on gettin one and I know itll destroy my mustang. As some others pointed out though its not much different from the 335, a lil smaller, lil lighter, and only a lil cheaper. I was just expecting, maybe hopin for a bigger difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #24
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I understand your frustration, but it seems that cars today are getting heavier and heavier. I think alot of this has to do with all the added safety features and luxury options. I mean did we honestly think it was going to be all that light given the relative size of the car? It is quite a bit larger then a Miata or Z4 so for us to think a low 3000 lb weight may have been unrealistic to begin with...I digress.

Lips
      09-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #25
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

This is tru Lips but one can still dream. Well just have to wait and see how the us version turns out
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #26
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

At this point I think it's safe to say we know it will be heavier then originally hoped for, but that doesn't mean it won't be an amazing ride that drives like we all think it will.
      09-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #27
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

i'd have to disagree about the little cheaper compared to 335i part. The 1er estimates are looking at mid 30k, so plus options, a fully loaded one is probably around 40k OTD. While a full loaded 335i can be close to 50+k. The 10k difference is pretty huge to me, and plus on the 1er you get better suspension, and way better brakes. Sounds like a no brainer for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #28
bats
Chilly Willy.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
i'd have to disagree about the little cheaper compared to 335i part. The 1er estimates are looking at mid 30k, so plus options, a fully loaded one is probably around 40k OTD. While a full loaded 335i can be close to 50+k. The 10k difference is pretty huge to me, and plus on the 1er you get better suspension, and way better brakes. Sounds like a no brainer for me.
Any proof regarding the "better suspension and brakes"

I hope you're not using the notion, more pistons = better brakes.

Also the 1 series has been out for a while, how would it be that much different from the 3 series?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #29
ShifterKart
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR/BB E92 M3

If the 135 does start around $35K I would believe a fully loaded model will be pushing mid 40's. All options adding 5K to the base price doesn't make since considering the Nav/i-drive will be about 2k by itself. Every other option for less than 3k?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #30
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
Any proof regarding the "better suspension and brakes"

I hope you're not using the notion, more pistons = better brakes.

Also the 1 series has been out for a while, how would it be that much different from the 3 series?
There is no proof, you are absolutely correct.

And the Euro 130i MSport, by all accounts, has worse suspension/balance than the 335. So there's not a precedent of success in the 1er.

We'll just have to play the waiting game.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 07:50 PM   #31
searay6777
Rep
Drives:

Mid 40's huh, 6 piston brake not better. You guys kill me. #3 on the list in Houston and I'm keeping my baby.
:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #32
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Durch Tod View Post
I never said it was a disappointment, I said I was ecpecting more. 34?? lbs its pushin the scales a lil especially if this is suppose to be a 2002 remake. I was hoping it would be closer to 3000lbs.

They car is still great and I still plan on gettin one and I know itll destroy my mustang. As some others pointed out though its not much different from the 335, a lil smaller, lil lighter, and only a lil cheaper. I was just expecting, maybe hopin for a bigger difference.

There in-lies your problem.

The 135 is an inexpensive BMW. That gives you plenty of money to make the car handle and perform how YOU want. It's a perfect platform and a damn great car to start with...

...but if you want a lighter 135i, then you going to be spending (like me) thousands over the years making it lighter..!

Where is there a problem in that..?

I was going to buy a Porsche Cayman S ($63k), now I think I'll use the 135i and widdle the weight down... I absolutely love the spartan interior, the redisign interior for the E90's suck. The e46 interior was perfect and the new M3 (as nice as it is) interior doesn't apeal to me as much as the 135i's simple/clean, no frills concept.

For $35k you can have a 400hp bimmer, enough said!

-Garrett
(1st post)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 09:40 PM   #33
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post

The 135 is an inexpensive BMW. That gives you plenty of money to make the car handle and perform how YOU want. It's a perfect platform and a damn great car to start with...

...but if you want a lighter 135i, then you going to be spending (like me) thousands over the years making it lighter..!

I was going to buy a Porsche Cayman S ($63k), now I think I'll use the 135i and widdle the weight down... I absolutely love the spartan interior, the redisign interior for the E90's suck. The e46 interior was perfect and the new M3 (as nice as it is) interior doesn't apeal to me as much as the 135i's simple/clean, no frills concept.

-Garrett
(1st post)
Welcome to the addiction.
Great 1st post.... I like your thinking
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 10:29 PM   #34
thp
Rep
Drives: careless!

You people seriously crack me up. What's with the current "It's good enough, I'll take whatever I can, it's a cheap BMW". If that really is how we think then I don't consider a cheap BMW a BMW. The current E46, while ergonomically sound is pretty cheaply built already, try sitting in an equivalently spec'd Audi/Lexus. And now we go, "It's lighter then other RWD competitors", well, it's heavier then AWD competitions from the Pacific Rim. Heck, BMW could have easily make the 1 series lighter by using more of the technology used in the 3, plastic parts, carbon fiber, etc. But then we'd go "It costs too much". I guess the value of money has really dropped lately too. It's a 30-40k car, this is the best we can get.

/me goes and hopes for a light weight 1M or better a 1M CSL. Why? because a Lotus Elise is more fun to drive on a track then a heavy twin turbo monster.. but the 1 series should make for a good GT car with it's current weight/power.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 11:51 PM   #35
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

I am fairly disappointed at how heavy the car is turning out to be. This has only somewhat diminished my enthusiasm for the car and will still seriously consider purchasing one.

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 07:43 AM   #36
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm3tt View Post
I am fairly disappointed at how heavy the car is turning out to be. This has only somewhat diminished my enthusiasm for the car and will still seriously consider purchasing one.
I have never liked its exterior design, and HATED the fact that a fully tuned NA 3.0 engine is not even offered. Now that the weight figures seem to be coming in at the worst case scenario discussed initially, it really could be quite depressing.

But I am not disappointed any more. I was lucky enough to be at the IAA Frankfurt on the public opening day, and actually sitting in a 135i brought almost all of my initial enthusiasm back. Granted I have no idea how the car will drive, but nonetheless the driver environment somehow hit the spot for me. It gave me the intimacy that was missing from the 3 series, without being cramped. The interior material/layout was much better than I expected as well. And I am now convinced that the back seat will be perfectly adequate in transporting my (upcoming) daughter. It just had the perfect dimension that I was looking for, as well as the sense of purpose that I wasn't really expecting to find. Despite the negligible weight difference, sitting in it just feels much more of a driver's car than the E90.

More than likely I will wait a year or two to see if we will get a DI NA engine in the US, but now it seems very likely that I will be euro delivering a 1er in the near future, pending test drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 09:30 AM   #37
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Have you driven a 335i ..?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #38
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
I have never liked its exterior design, and HATED the fact that a fully tuned NA 3.0 engine is not even offered. Now that the weight figures seem to be coming in at the worst case scenario discussed initially, it really could be quite depressing.

But I am not disappointed any more. I was lucky enough to be at the IAA Frankfurt on the public opening day, and actually sitting in a 135i brought almost all of my initial enthusiasm back. Granted I have no idea how the car will drive, but nonetheless the driver environment somehow hit the spot for me. It gave me the intimacy that was missing from the 3 series, without being cramped. The interior material/layout was much better than I expected as well. And I am now convinced that the back seat will be perfectly adequate in transporting my (upcoming) daughter. It just had the perfect dimension that I was looking for, as well as the sense of purpose that I wasn't really expecting to find. Despite the negligible weight difference, sitting in it just feels much more of a driver's car than the E90.

More than likely I will wait a year or two to see if we will get a DI NA engine in the US, but now it seems very likely that I will be euro delivering a 1er in the near future, pending test drive.
spin, just curious, r u interested in the diesels at all, say a 123d.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #39
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
spin, just curious, r u interested in the diesels at all, say a 123d.
hector, as much as I would like a nice diesel for my DD, 1. I don't pile up nearly enough mileage to justify the initial cost of diesel, and 2. this will have to pull a double duty as my DD and my "fun" car. I have not driven a good euro diesel myself, so maybe 123d will be fun enough. But it's hard to imagine giving up the sound of a good petrol engine screaming at 7000RPM all together.

If I can have two cars for myself, one will very likely be a diesel, assuming wide availability. But for my one and only DD/toy, I think I would still prefer a high revving petrol.

But I'm definetely going to try to get my wife to buy a diesel for her next car.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 11:31 AM   #40
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

Your Tread is not meeting my expectations!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #41
FinInk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica, Wanting 335i

Quote:

-Garrett
(1st post)

So do you plan on not getting any options for you're 135i? Because I'll bet that the 135i trim will start around 35k give or take. Add some options and you're easily in the 40's, then procede is about 2k, new tires, suspension, intake, intercooler, down pipes, weight saving parts (forged wheels are expensive, carbon fiber is expensive) etc is going to add a pretty penny seeing as this is a BMW and vendors are over charging.

Also, WalkedU's 335i has a custom intercooler, exhaust, downpipes, and (for the moment) the only CUSTOM tuned v2 Procede by Vishnu. He's still only making about 380 hp to the wheels. This means you'll probably have to swap out the turbos to get any more power off of them which will be bigger bucks.

I'm not not saying this to flame you or anything, but I want people to realize that the money involved in making the 135i faster isn't as big of a difference as a 335i because they share the same engine. Sure there's a couple thousand difference in the price initially but that only provides a very small wallet buffer.

I'm slightly dissapointed because the weight was one of the bigger points for me and with that gone I'll have to see how it drives in real life. Now I'm on the fence. I always loved the 3's styling and roomy interior over the 1, so if the 1 doesn't perform, i'll cough up the extra money and get the 3.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #42
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Have you driven a 335i ..?

I'm not at all concerned about the power not being enough. I'm very much concerned with how tossable the car will be, minimizing understeer.

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #43
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
I'm not at all concerned about the power not being enough. I'm very much concerned with how tossable the car will be, minimizing understeer.
I wouldnt be so worried. The 1er platform has already been an enthusiast's favorite and the 335i has certainly shown that it can be really thrown around:

09-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #44
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:

As I've said, have you driven a 335i ..?
Appreciate 0