2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
read my sig
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quoted in August 2010 by a reliable source (Scott26):
"The initial engine proposal was the N55 but they were having issues that cannot be solved within the time window. BMW greenlighted this car in July 2009, now over a year later [2010] we see it as it [is] intended, although testing still commences until the launch. Valvetronic was the main cause of the time delay but BMW have spent some time on this and are using the N55 as a basis for the next M3."
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...79&postcount=1

Check also the 1M Prerelease and Development History sticky for some 1M development info/trivia:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841751
      11-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Actually the engine in the new M3/M4 is totally new, and it's a Twin Turbo as well. Not based at all on the N55.

Quotes from M-Power.com Closed Room:

Six-cylinder in-line high-revving, turbocharged engine.

"The new BMW M3 Sedan and new BMW M4 Coupe from BMW M GmbH see a return to a six-in-line engine configuration, as used on the second and third generations of this iconic sports car. The new turbocharged unit, which can develop more than 7,500 rpm, combines the best of both worlds – on the one hand a high-revving design for instant response, linear power delivery over a wide engine speed range and an unmistakable and characterful engine note, and on the other hand BMW TwinPower Turbo technology for maximised torque over a broad rpm range. A further hallmark of this engine is its outstanding efficiency"

New six-cylinder in-line engine of the all-new BMW M4 Coupé and the all-new BMW M3 Sedan.
25. Sept. 13

The new BMW M3 Sedan and new BMW M4 Coupe from BMW M GmbH see a return to a six-in-line engine configuration, as used on the second and third generations of this iconic sports car. The new turbocharged unit, which can develop more than 7,500 rpm, combines the best of both worlds – on the one hand a high-revving design for instant response, linear power delivery over a wide engine speed range and an unmistakable and characterful engine note, and on the other hand BMW TwinPower Turbo technology for maximised torque over a broad rpm range. A further hallmark of this engine is its outstanding efficiency.

More power, more than 30% increase of torque, more than 25% increase of efficiency.

The new engine sees a slight power upgrade over the previous V8 to approximately 430 hp, while peak torque has been increased by well over 30 per cent to substantially more than 500 Newton metres, and is maintained over a very wide rev band. The new powerplant also boasts excellent fuel consumption, with an improvement of more than 25 per cent over the previous model’s figures, while emissions are already EU6-compliant.

BMW M TwinPower Turbo technology.
The BMW M TwinPower Turbo technology comprises two mono-scroll turbochargers, High Precision Direct Injection, VALVETRONIC variable valve timing and Double-VANOS seamlessly variable camshaft timing. The variable valve and camshaft timing provide fully variable control of intake valve lift. This allows the engine to deliver its power smoothly and efficiently, resulting in lower fuel consumption and emissions. At the same time, throttle response is even sharper than before..

Track-ready cooling system and engine oil supply for outstanding performance.

The exceptional performance of the BMW M3 Sedan and BMW M4 Coupe also demands an exceptionally sophisticated thermal management system for the engine and ancillary units. To ensure optimal operating temperatures both in short everyday trips around town and also when the vehicle is being driven flat out on the track, the M GmbH engineers developed a highly efficient cooling system, comprising a main radiator plus additional radiators for the high- and low-temperature circuits, turbocharger and transmission, while a temperature-stabilising electric water pump ensures that the engine can develop its full performance at all times.

The six-cylinder engine features a closed-deck crankcase design, which increases rigidity and allows cylinder pressures to be increased for maximised power output. And instead of liners, the cylinder bores feature a twin-wire arc-sprayed coating, which results in a significant reduction in engine weight.
Attached Images

August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles

Last edited by Redadair; 11-01-2013 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
Prazision
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi Wagon

another thought would be the simple fact that the n54 was already setup in the 135i, wouldn't make sense from a cost standpoint to try to implement a new engine if all you were looking for was an extra 40hp.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #27
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Actually the engine in the new M3/M4 is totally new, and it's a Twin Turbo as well. Not based at all on the N55.

Quotes from M-Power.com Closed Room:

"The new BMW M3 Sedan and new BMW M4 Coupe from BMW M GmbH see a return to a six-in-line engine configuration, as used on the second and third generations of this iconic sports car. The new turbocharged unit, which can develop more than 7,500 rpm, combines the best of both worlds – on the one hand a high-revving design for instant response, linear power delivery over a wide engine speed range and an unmistakable and characterful engine note, and on the other hand BMW TwinPower Turbo technology for maximised torque over a broad rpm range. A further hallmark of this engine is its outstanding efficiency"

New six-cylinder in-line engine of the all-new BMW M4 Coupé and the all-new BMW M3 Sedan.
25. Sept. 13

The new BMW M3 Sedan and new BMW M4 Coupe from BMW M GmbH see a return to a six-in-line engine configuration, as used on the second and third generations of this iconic sports car. The new turbocharged unit, which can develop more than 7,500 rpm, combines the best of both worlds – on the one hand a high-revving design for instant response, linear power delivery over a wide engine speed range and an unmistakable and characterful engine note, and on the other hand BMW TwinPower Turbo technology for maximised torque over a broad rpm range. A further hallmark of this engine is its outstanding efficiency.

More power, more than 30% increase of torque, more than 25% increase of efficiency.

The new engine sees a slight power upgrade over the previous V8 to approximately 430 hp, while peak torque has been increased by well over 30 per cent to substantially more than 500 Newton metres, and is maintained over a very wide rev band. The new powerplant also boasts excellent fuel consumption, with an improvement of more than 25 per cent over the previous model’s figures, while emissions are already EU6-compliant.

BMW M TwinPower Turbo technology.
The BMW M TwinPower Turbo technology comprises two mono-scroll turbochargers, High Precision Direct Injection, VALVETRONIC variable valve timing and Double-VANOS seamlessly variable camshaft timing. The variable valve and camshaft timing provide fully variable control of intake valve lift. This allows the engine to deliver its power smoothly and efficiently, resulting in lower fuel consumption and emissions. At the same time, throttle response is even sharper than before..

Track-ready cooling system and engine oil supply for outstanding performance.

The exceptional performance of the BMW M3 Sedan and BMW M4 Coupe also demands an exceptionally sophisticated thermal management system for the engine and ancillary units. To ensure optimal operating temperatures both in short everyday trips around town and also when the vehicle is being driven flat out on the track, the M GmbH engineers developed a highly efficient cooling system, comprising a main radiator plus additional radiators for the high- and low-temperature circuits, turbocharger and transmission, while a temperature-stabilising electric water pump ensures that the engine can develop its full performance at all times.

The six-cylinder engine features a closed-deck crankcase design, which increases rigidity and allows cylinder pressures to be increased for maximised power output. And instead of liners, the cylinder bores feature a twin-wire arc-sprayed coating, which results in a significant reduction in engine weight.
Awesome write up Red. To me the holy grail though is still throttle response? If there is one thing I don't appreciate about any of these new motors is that. I'm driving a 10 year old ZHP right now and while it does not have the brute power of any of these motors, it has outstanding instantaneous throttle response when it is in the power-band. I have driven the N54, N55 in manual and automatic versions an none have that instantaneous response. When I see all these specs and write up from BMW, I wish throttle response and throttle linearity was higher on the agenda.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #28
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman1 View Post
The N54 has forged internal parts as opposed to the N55 which does not.
Prove it
      11-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #29
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I know the N54 in the 1M got a forged crankshaft vs a die cast one in a normal N54 and N55.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #30
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I know the N54 in the 1M got a forged crankshaft vs a die cast one in a normal N54 and N55.

Cheers
Robin
whats the difference? i heard about it from different forum but no prove yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:45 AM   #31
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooto82 View Post
whats the difference? i heard about it from different forum but no prove yet?
According to this BMW pdf: http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...9&d=1165592709

Quote: "To accommodate the increased power output of the N54, the crankshaft is forged steel." (Power here is discussed relative to the NA I6) - ie this is not special to the N54T engine used in the 1M.

And according to the BMW N55 product training pdf the N55 uses cast iron.

But we do know that the exhaust system on the 1M is different from a Z4 35is. I even think the 1M has down pipe "race" cats. And there is also an M button, so the software must be a bit different as well. The water cooling and the fan was also upgraded, but the oil cooler is the same if I remember correctly. The Z4 35is is also different from the 335is in this regard.

Btw, the N54 will continue production for some time, as it is still used in the current Z4 35i and 35is. Although the Z4 was the first car to get the new 28i engine, the 35i was never changed to N55 even it "only" has 300hp.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 11-13-2013 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #32
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
According to this BMW pdf: http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...9&d=1165592709

Quote: "To accommodate the increased power output of the N54, the crankshaft is forged steel." (Power here is discussed relative to the NA I6) - ie this is not special to the N54T engine used in the 1M.

But we do know that the exhaust system on the 1M is different from a Z4 35is. I even think the 1M has down pipe "race" cats. And there is also an M button, so the software must be a bit different as well. The water cooling and the fan was also upgraded, but the oil cooler is the same if I remember correctly. The Z4 35is is also different from the 335is in this regard.

Btw, the N54 will continue production for some time, as it is still used in the current Z4 35i and 35is. Although the Z4 was the first car to get the new 28i engine, the 35i was never changed to N55 even it "only" has 300hp.
so this mean the forged cranshaft used in n54 accross all model according to the pdf. it doesn't specify 1m or any model.

correct me if im wrong
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #33
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooto82 View Post
so this mean the forged cranshaft used in n54 accross all model according to the pdf. it doesn't specify 1m or any model.

correct me if im wrong
You're correct. All N54s have forged crankshafts.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #34
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
You're correct. All N54s have forged crankshafts.

Neil
My bad. I stand corrected. The way BMW //M described the 1M engine was a bit confusing to me...
Here

Anyway, in bold, are u sure? And a bigger IC etc?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #35
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
My bad. I stand corrected. The way BMW //M described the 1M engine was a bit confusing to me...
Here

Anyway, in bold, are u sure? And a bigger IC etc?

Cheers
Robin
Yes, the 1M has slightly higher flowing cats.

Neil
Appreciate 0