BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #23
flzrider
Captain
39
Rep
739
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

When I changed the tranny fluid a couple weeks ago I drove the rear of the car up onto plastic ramps (these: http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-11903-Rh.../dp/B000AMMN9O). I then used 2 regular jacks on the left/right front/side jack pads and made it level. Once level, I placed a bottle jack onto the front/center jack pad as a safety in case either of the 2 on the side failed. I also placed some jack stands I had laying around right next to the jack stands on the side for extra safety.

I don't mind getting underneath a lifted car if there is 2 or 3 layers of safety.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
ayao
Thread killer
384
Rep
1,655
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
When I changed the tranny fluid a couple weeks ago I drove the rear of the car up onto plastic ramps (these: http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-11903-Rh.../dp/B000AMMN9O). I then used 2 regular jacks on the left/right front/side jack pads and made it level. Once level, I placed a bottle jack onto the front/center jack pad as a safety in case either of the 2 on the side failed. I also placed some jack stands I had laying around right next to the jack stands on the side for extra safety.

I don't mind getting underneath a lifted car if there is 2 or 3 layers of safety.
Do you think that there'd be enough space to get a jack under the center jack point with the rear wheels up on ramps? Those Amazon reviews suggest that the ramps don't grip the pavement very well and tend to ... launch. Any such tendencies that you've noticed?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #25
Snertz
H O O N
Snertz's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
668
Posts

Drives: ein M!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NY

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
I've never found a way to get a jack past the diff cover and raise it on the actual diff. If you have a jack that can do that, more power to you!

I've resorted to raising the car via the control arms as well and it'll work, just be careful and make sure the jack isn't going to slide up/down the arm.
I guess I just lucked out with the jack that I linked, it's a really tight fit. Only worked at stock ride height though, on my old car I had to drive onto 2x4's just to be able to get the jack underneath any of the points.
__________________

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #26
MDORPHN
Colonel
219
Rep
2,904
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Do you think that there'd be enough space to get a jack under the center jack point with the rear wheels up on ramps? Those Amazon reviews suggest that the ramps don't grip the pavement very well and tend to ... launch. Any such tendencies that you've noticed?
I lay down some 2 X 6 boards on the floor between my garage wall and the back of the ramps. That way the ramps can't slide when I drive up onto them.

I also lay down a short peice of board (maybe 2') in front of the ramp so I can get my car up on them without scraping the front bumper.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
Snertz
H O O N
Snertz's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
668
Posts

Drives: ein M!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NY

iTrader: (9)

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632872

Good DIY alternative for ramps
__________________

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #28
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
245
Posts

Drives: 2011 VO 1M(1st Us car) 1of740
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Williamsville, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
Don't jack it on the diff! That's an aluminum cover and you will bend or break off the fins.

Jack it from the four rubber pucks on the corners.
O agree, it takes a little bit longer but you will not ruin anything.That Diff is too expensive to ruin. I can get one whole side up with my aluminum Lonacre jack that i use for track & autox tire changing. With 4 jack stands you could do it one side at a time. Make sure you get very stable good jack stands.

Holly
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
8505
Rep
22,671
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Do you think that there'd be enough space to get a jack under the center jack point with the rear wheels up on ramps? Those Amazon reviews suggest that the ramps don't grip the pavement very well and tend to ... launch. Any such tendencies that you've noticed?

IF you are going to use car ramps... get some rubber mats to lay between the ramps and your garage floor. So the ramp(s) stay put. Otherwise they might shoot out as your car starts to climb up the ramps. Those Rhino Ramps are pretty good. I have friends to like them very much.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #30
ayao
Thread killer
384
Rep
1,655
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Hollysmac- Do you jack up using a control arm in order to get the jackstands in on one side?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #31
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
341
Rep
10,705
Posts

Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

iTrader: (0)

I typically jack my car up with a jack.


Although I have jacked up a Land Rover by throwing the tow line over a big tree limb and starting up the winch. Although I dont see this technique working on a 1 series.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #32
ayao
Thread killer
384
Rep
1,655
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

I think that at this point I'm leaning towards a combination of 67" Race Ramps, Esco jackstands, and Costco Arcan low-profile jack. Life was less complicated before the 1M ...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #33
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
245
Posts

Drives: 2011 VO 1M(1st Us car) 1of740
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Williamsville, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Hollysmac- Do you jack up using a control arm in order to get the jackstands in on one side?
No I use the rear Jack points on the side. I think our control arms are aluminum.Frankly I'd be wary of using anything else but the Jack points. My jack is a 6 pump race jack that I bought 15 years ago before the cheap copies came out. Since I am a not too young female I needed a light jack that uses few pumps and can be lifted into my tool box on my track trailer. The typical shop jack is way to heavy for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #34
flzrider
Captain
39
Rep
739
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao
Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
When I changed the tranny fluid a couple weeks ago I drove the rear of the car up onto plastic ramps (these: http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-11903-Rh.../dp/B000AMMN9O). I then used 2 regular jacks on the left/right front/side jack pads and made it level. Once level, I placed a bottle jack onto the front/center jack pad as a safety in case either of the 2 on the side failed. I also placed some jack stands I had laying around right next to the jack stands on the side for extra safety.

I don't mind getting underneath a lifted car if there is 2 or 3 layers of safety.
Do you think that there'd be enough space to get a jack under the center jack point with the rear wheels up on ramps? Those Amazon reviews suggest that the ramps don't grip the pavement very well and tend to ... launch. Any such tendencies that you've noticed?
Yea the ramps definitely do like to slide around on my smooth concrete garage floors. This is easily solved by putting a layer of carpet or anything else that will increase the grip between the floor and the bottom of the ramps.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #35
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
1327
Rep
3,697
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I typically jack my car up with a jack.


Although I have jacked up a Land Rover by throwing the tow line over a big tree limb and starting up the winch. Although I dont see this technique working on a 1 series.
It looks like the 1M does not as good a spot in the rear as the 128/135i.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #36
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
370
Rep
1,338
Posts

Drives: e82 1M, e30 325e, f15 X5 40e
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1986 BMW 325e  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
2018 BMW X5 xDrive40e  [0.00]
My new house will have a garage bay with 2 story ceiling height and proper level floor for a 2-post lift. Woot! 18 months away though.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #37
ayao
Thread killer
384
Rep
1,655
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Finally got my 1M off the ground today

Just to add to the Borg Collective, I finally got the 1M up in the air today.

I can't remember the specific thread this was described, but I followed the following steps:

Materials:
1. ESCO flat top jackstands x 4
2. Costco Arcan 3.5 ton low profile jack
3. Burger motorsports jack stand adapter

Method:
1. Jack up using front side jack point and adapter
2. Put jackstand under rear jack point
3. Jack up the other front side using adapter
4. Jackstand under other rear jack point
5. Jack up using front center jack point
6. Jackstands under both front jack points

Took even a jack-iss like me only about 5-10 minutes to do the whole thing. To get the car down, just reverse the procedure.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #38
JimD
Brigadier General
JimD's Avatar
247
Rep
3,316
Posts

Drives: 128i convertible
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, SC

iTrader: (0)

ayao's method is sound. It is also fairly simple to roll up on a 2x4 so you can use the center front jacking point. I can get my cheap harbor freight jack under the differential to lift the back. I have a wood block on the jack so it doesn't scratch the differential. I jack on the differential, not the cover, as BMW recommends. I made blocks of 3/4 baltic birch plywood to fit the side jacking points. My inexpensive harbor freight jackstands have relatively large openings so I glued on another piece of plywood to span that opening of the stands.

Harbor freight jacks work fine but can be balky coming down. If you want a really nice jack, griot's has one for $449 that I've seen good reviews of. A jack and stands from harbor freight would be about $100.

Jim
__________________
128i Convertible, MT, Alpine White, Black Top, Taupe Leatherette, Walnut, Sport
Ordered 5/22/09, Completed 6/4/09, At Port 6/9/09, On the Georgia Highway 6/13/09, Ship Arrived Charleston 6/24/09 at 10pm, PCD 7/21/09
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #39
Papethova
Banned
171
Rep
3,094
Posts

Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: at Death Valley 127

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Just to add to the Borg Collective, I finally got the 1M up in the air today.

I can't remember the specific thread this was described, but I followed the following steps:

Materials:
1. ESCO flat top jackstands x 4
2. Costco Arcan 3.5 ton low profile jack
3. Burger motorsports jack stand adapter

Method:
1. Jack up using front side jack point and adapter
2. Put jackstand under rear jack point
3. Jack up the other front side using adapter
4. Jackstand under other rear jack point
5. Jack up using front center jack point
6. Jackstands under both front jack points

Took even a jack-iss like me only about 5-10 minutes to do the whole thing. To get the car down, just reverse the procedure.
How do you keep the jackstand from crushing or breaking the plastic jacking point? Is the pad on top of the jackstand enough?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #40
ayao
Thread killer
384
Rep
1,655
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
How do you keep the jackstand from crushing or breaking the plastic jacking point? Is the pad on top of the jackstand enough?
The rubber pad on the jackstand seems reasonably substantial. I initially thought I'd need 4 jackpoint adapters ($), but the jackpoints don't seem damaged at all. In fact the jackstand rubber pads had residual rectangular-shaped indentations corresponding to the plastic jackpoints.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #41
robertm
Captain
27
Rep
893
Posts

Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: dfw

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
How do you keep the jackstand from crushing or breaking the plastic jacking point? Is the pad on top of the jackstand enough?
They will get crushed. I've had my car in the 1/2 dozen times now and the left rear looks the worst. Its the first one to get a jack stand under it and takes the brunt of the abuse. All of them are starting to look worse for wear though. Don't have a good solution for you on this.

EDIT: Sorry this is using my traditional style V type jackstands. Flat topped stands will probably do a lot better. The ESCO's mentioned above are truly top shelf stands and if you don't mind the investment they are worth the cost.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #42
ayao
Thread killer
384
Rep
1,655
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
They will get crushed. I've had my car in the 1/2 dozen times now and the left rear looks the worst. Its the first one to get a jack stand under it and takes the brunt of the abuse. All of them are starting to look worse for wear though. Don't have a good solution for you on this.

EDIT: Sorry this is using my traditional style V type jackstands. Flat topped stands will probably do a lot better. The ESCO's mentioned above are truly top shelf stands and if you don't mind the investment they are worth the cost.
Yeah, that's why I was initially leaning towards 4 jackstand adapters but that just seemed excessive in principle. It doesn't look like any other forums have come up with solutions, either -- everyone pretty much agrees that it's just not great design. FWIW replacement jackpoints can be had for ~ $10/corner.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #43
///BYU
Lieutenant
///BYU's Avatar
United_States
110
Rep
404
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Just to add to the Borg Collective, I finally got the 1M up in the air today.

I can't remember the specific thread this was described, but I followed the following steps:

Materials:
1. ESCO flat top jackstands x 4
2. Costco Arcan 3.5 ton low profile jack
3. Burger motorsports jack stand adapter

Method:
1. Jack up using front side jack point and adapter
2. Put jackstand under rear jack point
3. Jack up the other front side using adapter
4. Jackstand under other rear jack point
5. Jack up using front center jack point
6. Jackstands under both front jack points

Took even a jack-iss like me only about 5-10 minutes to do the whole thing. To get the car down, just reverse the procedure.
Thanks for sharing this!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #44
LeMansM5
First Lieutenant
LeMansM5's Avatar
17
Rep
366
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Apr 2005

iTrader: (0)

Anyone know what brand jacks are these and how much they cost?

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST