BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

What I believe to be the best N54 sound - BMR 3.5" exhaust

Whats up E82 Fam! Im an exhaust fanatic and in all previous cars and sportbikes I have owned, I have always had OCD about finding the perfect exhaust. Some of you may have seen my videos / reviews of my BMR 3.5" exhaust in my build thread. However, I wanted to make this new thread to let all N54 enthusiasts know that I believe the BMR exhaust is the best sound for our engines.

Unlike every other aftermarket exhaust for the 135i, the BMR is one single pipe. It has 2 pipes to connect the downpipes that are a couple inches long, but quickly merges to a single 3.5" inch pipe the whole way back. It flows a ton of air and really lets the turbos whistle!!

I believe the single pipe is what gives it such a nice tone. The tone is very deep and aggressive. It has a deep purr at idle, a nice growl in the low end, and an exotic scream up top. its everything I could want in an exhaust. BUT, the I will admit it totally has some drone. The drone is from 3k-3.5k RPM, cruising around town or highway It does not drone and is totally quiet in the cabin. However when accelerating up to speed, and rowing through the gears, the cabin does get a bit boomy while passing through that rev range. Under WOT the drone is hardly noticeable in that rev range.

The only con to this exhaust is that it is pricey. I got mine for 1219$ But Its worth every single penny in my opinion. I actually had to send my original exhaust back to the company due to fitment issues, so Ive gone through the install twice and uninstall once, and had to wait nearly a month for my exhaust. Ive never heard of any other BMR exhausts having fitment issues, so I believe mine was just defective and I wouldn't let fitment discourage you from the amazing, unique N54 sound this exhaust provides.

Even after all the wrenching, waiting, and high price tag, I couldn't be more thrilled about my BMR exhaust. It truly adds to the driving experience! Everything from backfires and high RPM, rev-matched downshifts, to early morning cold starts make my car feel like the beast it really is.

Here is a video I made about it with some sound clips towards the middle of the video!

Last edited by Neiman Levenson; 08-03-2017 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
08 1ER35.50
      08-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

It still just sounds super generic. The N54 will just never be a good sounding engine. It has absolutely no character to its sound.

That's why I'm keeping my exhaust stock (excepts DPs). You can keep throwing money at it but at the end of the day you're just paying to make it sound a different tone of average and generic.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Aus View Post
It still just sounds super generic. The N54 will just never be a good sounding engine. It has absolutely no character to its sound.

That's why I'm keeping my exhaust stock (excepts DPs). You can keep throwing money at it but at the end of the day you're just paying to make it sound a different tone of average and generic.
You should really hear a BMR exhaust in person man. You would think completely differently, almost every N54 owner who has heard my car in person compliments me on my exhaust and asks how it sounds so deep with no rasp. Also Im not quite sure what your point is because you said it "still sounds super generic" then you say im just paying to "make it sound a different tone of average"

That seems like a contradiction, Im not sure what you consider an "average" exhaust tone to be (because every engine has a different tone) but if its a different version of average then thats my whole point, is that the BMR has a unique sound to the N54.

Also, I dont understand why people are so afraid to spend 1200$ on a COMPLETE exhaust system. Take any aftermarket axleback and any aftermarket pair of mids, and they both add up to the same ballpark on price. (except Berk full system which is like 100 or 200 bucks cheaper) so $1200 for a BMR exhaust is actually just the fair price for a full system on our platform.

Last edited by Neiman Levenson; 08-04-2017 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 8.1L Chevy 2500hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne1man35 View Post
You should really hear a BMR exhaust in person man. You would think completely differently, almost every N54 owner who has heard my car in person compliments me on my exhaust and asks how it sounds so deep with no rasp. Also Im not quite sure what your point is because you said it "still sounds super generic" then you say im just paying to "make it sound a different tone of average"

That seems like a contradiction, Im not sure what you consider an "average" exhaust tone to be (because every engine has a different tone) but if its a different version of average then thats my whole point, is that the BMR has a unique sound to the N54.

Also, I dont understand why people are so afraid to spend 1200$ on a COMPLETE exhaust system. Take any aftermarket axleback and any aftermarket pair of mids, and they both add up to the same ballpark on price. (except Berk full system which is like 100 or 200 bucks cheaper) so $1200 for a BMR exhaust is actually just the fair price for a full system on our platform.
So you spent 1200 for sound? what about ponies any to be had?
      08-05-2017, 12:31 AM   #5
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tundra View Post
So you spent 1200 for sound? what about ponies any to be had?
nah, I spend 1200 for a weight savings of like 40 lbs, less backpressure which leads to better turbo spool and less overall stress on the turbos, and an amazing sound and the sounds means a lot to me. I'm not sure about hp/torque because I only Dynoed my car with the exhaust, but on FBO pump gas only it made 380/421 on a hot day, so I'm sure it has picked up a few horsepower/torque.

Not every mod is about horsepower to dollar ratio, Exhausts are primarily for sound and weight savings (unless we're talking downpipes which is a whole different story) The argument about if 1200$ is worth it for a full exhaust on our platform is a whole separate topic, but i'm trying to make this thread to say that for a full exhaust for the 135i the BMR is completely worth 1200$ if your looking at a full system anyways. Because most cost 1,000-1,100
      08-05-2017, 01:24 AM   #6
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 8.1L Chevy 2500hd

Quote:
nah, I spend 1200 for a weight savings of like 40 lbs, less backpressure which leads to better turbo spool and less overall stress on the turbos, and an amazing sound and the sounds means a lot to me. I'm not sure about hp/torque because I only Dynoed my car with the exhaust, but on FBO pump gas only it made 380/421 on a hot day, so I'm sure it has picked up a few horsepower/torque.

Not every mod is about horsepower to dollar ratio, Exhausts are primarily for sound and weight savings (unless we're talking downpipes which is a whole different story) The argument about if 1200$ is worth it for a full exhaust on our platform is a whole separate topic, but i'm trying to make this thread to say that for a full exhaust for the 135i the BMR is completely worth 1200$ if your looking at a full system anyways. Because most cost 1,000-1,100
Well for me it is, unless it's cosmetic or suspension it better help some way or another with hp and tq and it sounds like this does but the price point is kind of crazy for pipe but to each their own, sounds like your happy and thats all that matters. Thanks for the videos!
      08-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

What I meant is that, regardless of exhaust setup, the N54 will always just sound like "an engine". It doesn't have any distinctive tone to give it any character. It doesn't have the raspiness of the S54, or the high-pitched wail of the S85 for example. It doesn't have the distinctive rumble of the Subaru boxer engines. It just sounds like plain old engine noise that you get from any other 6-cylinder car.

Sure, your exhaust note is deeper than stock but it still doesn't make the car sound good; if you know what I mean? It still just sounds like generic engine noise, albeit louder and a bit deeper.

I'm not trying to shit all over your exhaust. If you're happy with it, that's all that really matters. Personally, I just couldn't justify that kind of money for an exhaust that doesn't sound any better than stock or any more unique than any other exhaust setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #8
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
What I meant is that, regardless of exhaust setup, the N54 will always just sound like "an engine". It doesn't have any distinctive tone to give it any character. It doesn't have the raspiness of the S54, or the high-pitched wail of the S85 for example. It doesn't have the distinctive rumble of the Subaru boxer engines. It just sounds like plain old engine noise that you get from any other 6-cylinder car.

Sure, your exhaust note is deeper than stock but it still doesn't make the car sound good; if you know what I mean? It still just sounds like generic engine noise, albeit louder and a bit deeper.

I'm not trying to shit all over your exhaust. If you're happy with it, that's all that really matters. Personally, I just couldn't justify that kind of money for an exhaust that doesn't sound any better than stock or any more unique than any other exhaust setup.
Actually an Inline 6 sounds different then a V6. V6 will never get the high pitch tone that I-6 can get. All V6 sound the same, all I-6 sound the same, all V8s sound the same.. ect.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:31 AM   #9
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havocsteve View Post
Actually an Inline 6 sounds different then a V6. V6 will never get the high pitch tone that I-6 can get. All V6 sound the same, all I-6 sound the same, all V8s sound the same.. ect.
You're completely missing the point of my post.

My point is that the N54, regardless of what you do to the exhaust, will always just sound boring. Different exhausts might vary the tone and volume but at the end of the day it will always be a boring, dull-sounding engine note that completely lacks character.

That's why, in my opinion, it simply isn't worth spending significant money on.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
You're completely missing the point of my post.

My point is that the N54, regardless of what you do to the exhaust, will always just sound boring. Different exhausts might vary the tone and volume but at the end of the day it will always be a boring, dull-sounding engine note that completely lacks character.

That's why, in my opinion, it simply isn't worth spending significant money on.
Not entirely true but I can see your reasoning. By the same token, it's only a car, why waste money a BMW when you can buy a Corolla?

I don't bash because he paid good money for an exhaust. In life, do what makes you happy, you only live once remember? Can't be buried with your cash anyways, either the family gets it or the Government.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #11
Sumptuous Hummus
Banned
Rep
Drives: 328i

the best n54 sound is a catless downpipe and muffler replaced with dual resonators.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #12
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Thanks for sharing the drive by vids. I think it sounds great.

Not sure why we have people trolling here because they don't believe an exhaust on a N54 is a "worthwhile" investment/mod in an exhaust specific forum... come on guys.
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2017, 09:26 PM   #13
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malicem3 View Post
Thanks for sharing the drive by vids. I think it sounds great.

Not sure why we have people trolling here because they don't believe an exhaust on a N54 is a "worthwhile" investment/mod in an exhaust specific forum... come on guys.
thanks man. All I know is that I freaking love my BMR exhaust and so does everyone who hears it in person. Also, Its my absolute favorite thing Ive ever done to my car and at this point I have nearly 5K into my car in parts
      08-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #14
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54

I enjoy the way your car sounds but do not enjoy the idea of $1200 leaving my bank account for that.

How do you feel about say just getting vrsf dps + berk race axel back?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
Jorgensen54
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/AG 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney135i View Post
I enjoy the way your car sounds but do not enjoy the idea of $1200 leaving my bank account for that.

How do you feel about say just getting vrsf dps + berk race axel back?
I have AR Design catless DPs and a Berk Technology Race axle-back... I like loud, but this is actually pretty damn annoying. It's not an aggressive sound unless you're WOT or decelerating(my MHD burble settings are kind of absurd though )

I don't plan on getting rid of any of these in the interim, but I think this setup or the one you said will be good with a custom resonated mid. I plan on doing a custom setup.
      08-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #16
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgensen54 View Post
I have AR Design catless DPs and a Berk Technology Race axle-back... I like loud, but this is actually pretty damn annoying. It's not an aggressive sound unless you're WOT or decelerating(my MHD burble settings are kind of absurd though )

I don't plan on getting rid of any of these in the interim, but I think this setup or the one you said will be good with a custom resonated mid. I plan on doing a custom setup.
You know of a good shop around here that will do a full custom exhaust? I'm in Kirkland

Cheers fellow PNW 1er
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #17
Jorgensen54
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/AG 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney135i View Post
You know of a good shop around here that will do a full custom exhaust? I'm in Kirkland

Cheers fellow PNW 1er
Oh nice! Cheers!

I can't say that I do, although looking into it has made Dan Fast 1st on my list due to what I've read on bimmerforums as far as competency, quality, and pricing. They have locations in Lynnwood and Bellevue.
      08-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I would not put it at number 1 but it sounds really good

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #19
hellokitty
Brigadier General