BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #45
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbombs View Post
I've never seen someone advocate so strongly for a stock plastic tube before.
You have now.
And I've never seen so many people advocate for a non-stock tube before.
Besides.. I like my stock plastic tube. It has never let me down.
You live long enough you see everything huh. lol
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes

Last edited by PA135i; 06-10-2015 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #46
Marlbombs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
You have now.
And I've never seen so many people advocate for a non-stock tube before.
Besides.. I like my stock plastic tube. It has never let me down.
You live long enough you see everything huh. lol
For sure. LOL I have spent a lot of time on car forums, but this is my first BMW and I have to say it's a different experience. (not in a bad way. Just different.)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #47
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbombs View Post
For sure. LOL I have spent a lot of time on car forums, but this is my first BMW and I have to say it's a different experience. (not in a bad way. Just different.)
Yeah, you disagree with a fellow modder and you can see the "mileage" (pardon the pun) you can get out of a tube.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #48
decaturdad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3, 07 e90, 2012 135i RIP

I am replacing mine tonight after it broke with 41,000 stock miles. But I have a problem. I cannot fond the o-ring. It is not on the old part or on the car. I have been looking in the engine bay and will keep looking. Anyone found one in there? Where do they end up? Or where can i get one?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #49
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaturdad View Post
I am replacing mine tonight after it broke with 41,000 stock miles. But I have a problem. I cannot fond the o-ring. It is not on the old part or on the car. I have been looking in the engine bay and will keep looking. Anyone found one in there? Where do they end up? Or where can i get one?
Just order a new one through Mike@X-ph. $195 for the VSRF direct fit.
They ship them out within 24 hours so you should have it quick.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #50
jhipp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 CR 135i

Quote:
If you can't find it inside of the old charge pipe where it connects to the throttle body, you should be able to buy it separately from a dealer or online. I believe it's part # 13717568031

Here's the realoem diagram where you can see that it is #26: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_1357
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 09:28 PM   #51
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You could probably find one at an auto parts store. They carry O-rings.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #52
decaturdad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3, 07 e90, 2012 135i RIP

I replaced my original charge pipe last night. It broke on Sunday on a stock engine. Somehow, the original o-ring was no longer around. (I guess it is somewhere in the engine. It would be nice if the replacement charge pipe had come with a new one. I ended up going to the local auto parts store and buying an oil filter and used that o-ring. Car seems good :-)

And my son gets his 328 back. (I needed to get work....)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 07:50 AM   #53
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I replaced my original charge pipe last night. It broke on Sunday on a stock engine. Somehow, the original o-ring was no longer around. (I guess it is somewhere in the engine. It would be nice if the replacement charge pipe had come with a new one. I ended up going to the local auto parts store and buying an oil filter and used that o-ring. Car seems good :-)

And my son gets his 328 back. (I needed to get work....)
I would take the chargepipe and throttle body off and see if you can find that o-ring. Worse case it just fell out when the charge pipe broke and is laying on that undertray. Worse case it somehow gets into an intake port and bends a valve. I wouldn't risk it. It's too easy to investigate.
      06-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #54
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
There have been how many 135's produced between 2008 and 2013?
How many have had a failed chargepipe?
Agreed. It seems to be one of the more likely components to fail, and it happens under any boost level, but there's no certainties that it will fail, in fact even at a couple percent chance it's still highly unlikely.

Doesn't mean it's not "worth" it to people, just not something to be scared of.

That said I have indeed changed mine out, hah.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #55
stangman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I wanted to add an alternative twist to this conversation. Certainly it seems all parties have merit in their positions, but what has not been considered is the variability in the manufacturing process for the component itself. I come at this from a raw materials/resins and part production perspective. The stock charge pipes are mass produced likely with a blow molding process that inherently has variability to the final outcome. Variability in melt temperature, parison hang time, blow pressure, wall gauge, etc. all play a role in the integrity of the part. Ideally molded and as OEM validated the stock pipe might do just fine for the life of the vehicle even under non stock loads ( read boost). Now consider that you lost the lottery and have a CP that was molded on the low end of the "spec", and factor in that polymers degrade with temperature over time, you role the dice. Failure mode will be accelerated with boost pressure regardless of tune because the plastic does not "know" how the pressure was generated, only that it must contain it. You can be certain that stock OEM components are selected with cost in mind, so going aftermarket adds a measure of security. This isn't about who is right or wrong as are most debates, only that if you are comfortable with the risk and potential failure, stay stock. Is piece of mind worth $200 to you?
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2015, 04:32 AM   #56
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman View Post
I wanted to add an alternative twist to this conversation. Certainly it seems all parties have merit in their positions, but what has not been considered is the variability in the manufacturing process for the component itself. I come at this from a raw materials/resins and part production perspective. The stock charge pipes are mass produced likely with a blow molding process that inherently has variability to the final outcome. Variability in melt temperature, parison hang time, blow pressure, wall gauge, etc. all play a role in the integrity of the part. Ideally molded and as OEM validated the stock pipe might do just fine for the life of the vehicle even under non stock loads ( read boost). Now consider that you lost the lottery and have a CP that was molded on the low end of the "spec", and factor in that polymers degrade with temperature over time, you role the dice. Failure mode will be accelerated with boost pressure regardless of tune because the plastic does not "know" how the pressure was generated, only that it must contain it. You can be certain that stock OEM components are selected with cost in mind, so going aftermarket adds a measure of security. This isn't about who is right or wrong as are most debates, only that if you are comfortable with the risk and potential failure, stay stock. Is piece of mind worth $200 to you?
To me, yes. I don't want my car jumping into limp mode while on the track or driving down the hyway because i didn't change it out. It's just insurance, and when you consider the cost of a tow truck, and the inconvinience factor, $200 is acceptable insurance money. I agree that the failure rates of the stock charge pipe seem random, and this would point to manufacuring variances. Would you risk the stock charge pipe breaking 300 miles from home and having to pay that rediculous tow bill? ( the tow bill may be negated by insurance or AAA, but not everyone has that option)
      06-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #57
shawnj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Mine just failed yesterday. I was able to put it back on with another clamp until I get the other one in.

vr-speed site doesn't seem to be working...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #58
shawnj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Installed my VRSF Chargepipe last night. Easy install, snug fit. great service from x-ph.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 09:27 PM   #59
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Catastrophic charge pipe failure last weekend at the track! I had purchased one from @mike@xph and hadn't installed it yet. My n55 with 38k was running stage 2 Cobb OTS map ~16.5 lbs boost and have tracked the car multiple times. I was blown away that the car threw no codes. Any way 2 hours of travel time later and a bloody knuckle and she made more laps
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #60
geeyore
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
They have tuned many 535's 135's 335's and have not seen any stock charge pipes fail.
My OE charge pipe failed yesterday on the track, so I'd say that's not correct. Third track day since tune.
2011 135i 6MT, Cobb FMIC, Stoptech ST-60, Pagid RS-29, Castrol SRF, Goodridge G-Stop, Apex EC-7, Dinan Front Sway, Ohlins R&T, Swift 400/500, Vorshlag Camber, M3 lowers & bits, Diffsonline 3.08 3-clutch, Sparco Ergo/Evo, Schroth Hybrid, RRT welded 4-point hoop
DD: BMW 328xiT Prior: 2000 323iT 5MT, 2000 Z3 2.3 5MT, 2001 325iT 5MT, 2009 128i 6MT

Last edited by geeyore; 08-17-2015 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 03:40 PM   #61
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I got one, just for insurance reasons. At $195 including shipping why not.
So we can put this one to bed guys. I'm 10 days into this new tune and still getting it to adapt, but I have no worries of cracking the "c-pipe".
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:24 PM   #62
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyore View Post
My OE charge pipe failed yesterday on the track, so I'd say that's not correct. Third track day since tune.
Upgrading to a quality aftermarket charge pipe is important on the N55 E-series. They fail a lot.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #63
GabeQ
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
I have 93K miles on my car. It has been under stock boost until 2 years ago when I got BMW PPK1, which is more boost.

Mine has not failed in 93K miles. For my application, I will take the advice from both the tuner and in the indy shop I use. Must not be a weak point on my car.

I guess we disagree.

I know this is old but my charge pipe exploded and when I took it to BMW, they said it's common
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #64
Jason135i
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i Convertible

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I don’t think these break from boost pressure. They just become brittle and crack from vibrating. It would probably take way over 100 psi of air pressure to crack the pipe, which is nowhere near even what a boosted turbo would produce.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #65
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason135i View Post
I don’t think these break from boost pressure. They just become brittle and crack from vibrating. It would probably take way over 100 psi of air pressure to crack the pipe, which is nowhere near even what a boosted turbo would produce.
They sure do go from boost pressure. Most often they blow soon after a boost increase tune is installed. Mine on its first maiden drive after installing Cobb with 15 lbs it gave up. When I installed the VRSF replacement you can easily see the very noticeable expansion of the heavy duty silicone hose section when looking underhood when the throttle is applied. Even on an old excessive underhood heat aged pipe with stock turbo pressure is enough to do its damage.

Air pressure like water pressure will easily find the weak points of a piece of equipment, in the case of stock charge pipes it's usually at the mounting section where it attaches to the manifold.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams

Last edited by N54Yankee; 03-17-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #66
WindUp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I wish I had seen this post and replaced it before it failed on the way to work today. My drive home is 65 miles. Too far to drive with a cracked charge pipe?
Appreciate 0