BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2008, 04:14 AM   #1
LittleMonster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 320D Steptronic

Leather damage..

Howzit all,

I recently took delivery of my new 130i M Sport, and noticed that the driver's seat had some scuff marks on the one side, with white spots (leather 'coating' gone), as well as an area which looked perforated (for a lack of a better word). Most likely someone damaged it while the car was displayed on the showroom floor. Brought this under the attention of the salesman, and he said that they will fix it, no problem. I wasn't too happy as the area wasn't that small, but decided to give them a chance to fix.

Took the car in for the repair, and when I got it back the area they worked on was quite obvious, almost like they painted over the affected area with something (darker). On the side the "perforated" area is still visible, and the whole area looks like old leather now. I'm not happy, told the saleman that. Some guy from BMW will now come and inspect to decide whether they could replace the seat or not.

What are my options here? This is a brand new car, and I told them about the damage from the start (before I took delivery).

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #2
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
I think that until you can't tell that there was ever any damage you should not accept the "fix".
It's a brand new car and should be perfect.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

A new chair indeed! DEMAND IT, AND ACCEPT NOTHING ELSE! I would also ask for compinsation for the time wasted. Oh and demand a BMW replacement while you wait! A good CA would have told you from the start what they will do.

Hope you had it written on the invoice. If they try and buy you off, don't take the deal. You will always hate that chair.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
LittleMonster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 320D Steptronic

I agree..

Thanks for the input guys. Knowing myself, I'll never be happy with a fixed up seat. The guys from the dealership phoned me earlier today, and they said someone from BMW SA is coming to inspect my car on Monday or Tuesday. I have already decided that I will not accept anything but a new seat. Good point about the invoice, I will make sure it is noted somehere, thanks!

Cheers, will tell you guys next week what happened..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 02:48 AM   #5
dsmp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I took my car june 07/08 and about 3 weeks ago i noticed my driver seat(black boston leather) is cracked and peeling on the outer side of the seat. Most likely damage is from getting in and out of the vehicle, but at less than three months, it seems excessive. Is there anything I can do?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Side bolster wear from ingress/egress is pretty normal with leather BMW sport seats. Extreme care needs to be exercised when entering and exiting to minimize damage to the bolster. It's the main reason I ordered leatherette, which is apparently more durable. There are several existing threads on leather vs. 'ette.
      03-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
nszzya
Drive Different
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F15 '17 F87

Is the bolster able to be replaced separately from the entire seat back?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nszzya View Post
Is the bolster able to be replaced separately from the entire seat back?
Yes - any good upholstry shop will be able to replace the dmaged panel. However, the entire seat cover needs to be removed, and the original spec leather needs to be sourced.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

My braided belt was rubbing on the seat bolster of my 3 series and BMW replaced the leather under warranty. On my Z4 the passenger air bag light came on and they had to replace the leather seat cover as well.

Like others have said, demand the fix that makes you happy. I have found BMW is very generous in their warranty. I did have to call BMWNA once for a warranty issue the dealer said was not warranty. After the call to BMWNA the dealer called me and said bring the car in for the warranty work.