BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Wallie_17
Rep
Drives: 2007 VW GTI

Thinking of 128 to replace GTI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently driving an 07 GTI and I couldn't love it more, but I feel its time to move on. I'm tired of FWD and I am really considering a 128 with the sport package. Price is a big factor, the new 2010 GTI wil be priced around $28 000
and the 128 starts at $33 500.

I've read lots about discounts throughout the threads and was wondering if you think I could realistically get a better lease rate/discount on the list price? My father has had a BMW for the past 25 years and he's always had the same salesman. His name is Raphael Perez and works at Canbec.

Does anyone know what the 128 is limited to? I know BMW say its 210km/h but for a 550i it says its limited to 240km/h, but thats not true. Don't ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

The base 128i (without the sport package) is is limited to 130 MPH - 210 KM/H.

With the sport package, the 128i is limited to 155 MPH - 250 KM/H.

It has to do with the tires - the base model comes with 17" all seasons that have a lower max speed rating. The sport package supplies a 17" staggered summer-only tire with a higher speed rating.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
The base 128i (without the sport package) is is limited to 130 MPH - 210 KM/H.

With the sport package, the 128i is limited to 155 MPH - 250 KM/H.

It has to do with the tires - the base model comes with 17" all seasons that have a lower max speed rating. The sport package supplies a 17" staggered summer-only tire with a higher speed rating.

He's in Canada, the sport package comes with 18" staggered summer tires up here. They ride nice, I'm not concerned about the ride comfort on 17" vs 18" although some reviewers online seem to cringe at the ride on the 17"'s but I can't see why.

You can't negotiate on the lease rate or finance rate itself, but you can usually get 3% off MSRP without having to do too much negotiating. I've heard of people doing better but I don't have that kind of finesse. If you find a car that's been sitting on a lot for a while you might be able to do better since they'll be more eager to get rid of it.

BTW, my friend has an '07 GTI and it is a very nice ride. He chipped it and I've seen the dyno; it puts out 250HP + torque to the wheels, good enough to beat the 128i (as long as you can get traction at the front wheels of course. Ever thought of that?

Not trying to talk you out of it...I'd still get the 128i over the GTI, chipped or not. But make sure you get the sports package if you like going fast and taking those corners near the limit
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
Wallie_17
Rep

No doubt that the GTI has lots of potential, but it comes at a cost. If the dealer finds out you've chipped it, you void the warranty and decrease your chances of selling the car on the market.

As for the sport package...its a must for me, the wheels make the car.

JKP1187 god I hope your right about the top speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallie_17 View Post
No doubt that the GTI has lots of potential, but it comes at a cost. If the dealer finds out you've chipped it, you void the warranty and decrease your chances of selling the car on the market.

As for the sport package...its a must for me, the wheels make the car.

JKP1187 god I hope your right about the top speed.
He's right Now go buy a 128i
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
He's in Canada, the sport package comes with 18" staggered summer tires up here. They ride nice, I'm not concerned about the ride comfort on 17" vs 18" although some reviewers online seem to cringe at the ride on the 17"'s but I can't see why.
Didn't know that. Thanks.

Quote:
BTW, my friend has an '07 GTI and it is a very nice ride. He chipped it and I've seen the dyno; it puts out 250HP + torque to the wheels, good enough to beat the 128i (as long as you can get traction at the front wheels of course. Ever thought of that?

Not trying to talk you out of it...I'd still get the 128i over the GTI, chipped or not. But make sure you get the sports package if you like going fast and taking those corners near the limit
I'm always an advocate of keeping a car for as long as possible, so I'd agree with the idea of staying with the GTI, it's only 2 years old, right?....but if you must get a new car, the 128i will be quite nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
cricri
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

I'm in the same shoes too. Currently driving an 07 gti and looking at replacing it with a 128i or maybe a 135i. My lease is up in 10 months so I'm probably going to wait until the end of year deals and try to get one of those big discounts such as what people got last november-december, and return the gti early.

You can get 2% off without negociating not sure if you can get more. Montreal-area BMW dealers seem to be communicating pricing and customer infos between themselves in order to control prices which seems borderline legal if not illegal to me. It may be worth cross-shopping with Ontario or Quebec city dealers it could save you some $.

I test drove a 128i a few weeks ago and while I wasn't impressed with the power the car felt much more planted and of a much higher quality than my gti. When I got back in my gti I thought it drove more like a 15k rabbit than a 40k bimmer there's no comparing the two cars. The only problem with the 128i is that you need to add the sport package and the premium package to get the equipment level to gti standards (xenons and sunroof mostly) which brings the price all the way up to 40k, so close to the 135i. There's no way I'm going back to yellowish reflector headlights now that I've seen what a huge difference xenons make in nightime visibility.

Good luck on your purchase, keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

I have two brothers, one has a APR chipped 2.0t Audi A3 and the other a stock sport package 128i- both are manual and I'd take the 128i any day, it just overall performs quite a bit better and feels better, so I say go for it, and right now there are insane deals out there, you just have to bargain hard and you'll get it for less than invoice
      04-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I'm going to side with jkp1187. I had a MKIV GTI, and MKV GLI, and I'm now onto my 135. My girlfriend also drives a MKV GTI. I think GTI's are fantastic cars, and if I had to order them I'd go

1. 135i
2. GTI (I chipped both my GTI and my GLI)
3. 128i

Both my VWs I got APR chipped and in my 5 years between the two of them I never had a problem with the dealer, I'd just make sure that I turned the chip off before I took the car in for servicing.

Anyways I think its probably a toss up between the 128 and GTI, because they're both great cars. But if you're going from a GTI to a 128 I don't think you should expect a vastly superior car unless you add a few options like the others said, and that can add up fast. And if you're going to bring dollars and cents into it, I'd get the GTI, chip it, and add a rear sway bar. *I suppose* you run a warranty risk, but you're also not spending the extra money to buy the 128. And again, I never had a problem with either my chipped 1.8T or 2.0T.

Thats just my humble opinion and I know some people would probably beg to differ, but you're comparing some great cars and I think you'll be happy either way. Good luck and keep us posted!!
      04-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Wallie_17
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
I'm going to side with jkp1187. I had a MKIV GTI, and MKV GLI, and I'm now onto my 135. My girlfriend also drives a MKV GTI. I think GTI's are fantastic cars, and if I had to order them I'd go

1. 135i
2. GTI (I chipped both my GTI and my GLI)
3. 128i

Both my VWs I got APR chipped and in my 5 years between the two of them I never had a problem with the dealer, I'd just make sure that I turned the chip off before I took the car in for servicing.

Anyways I think its probably a toss up between the 128 and GTI, because they're both great cars. But if you're going from a GTI to a 128 I don't think you should expect a vastly superior car unless you add a few options like the others said, and that can add up fast. And if you're going to bring dollars and cents into it, I'd get the GTI, chip it, and add a rear sway bar. *I suppose* you run a warranty risk, but you're also not spending the extra money to buy the 128. And again, I never had a problem with either my chipped 1.8T or 2.0T.

Thats just my humble opinion and I know some people would probably beg to differ, but you're comparing some great cars and I think you'll be happy either way. Good luck and keep us posted!!
Which dealership do you get your cars serviced at?

I mentioned that I wanted to chip my car to the salesman and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said you'll void the warranty and incure several high repair costs associated with chipping the car. I know this is complete BS but the dealer has to cover their asses as well.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the practicality of the 128. With the GTI I could load up 3 snowboards and head up north no problem(well not for anyone sitting in the front). I'm going to see for myself next monday at Canbec and then report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
cricri
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Personally if I were chipped I'd be more worried about lying to my insurer than risking voiding the manufacturer's warranty. Didn't they ask you if you were going to modify the car before accepting to insure it. Could have much worst consequences - but that may just be me being paranoid again.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallie_17 View Post
Which dealership do you get your cars serviced at?

I mentioned that I wanted to chip my car to the salesman and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said you'll void the warranty and incure several high repair costs associated with chipping the car. I know this is complete BS but the dealer has to cover their asses as well.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the practicality of the 128. With the GTI I could load up 3 snowboards and head up north no problem(well not for anyone sitting in the front). I'm going to see for myself next monday at Canbec and then report back.
Southcentre Fine Cars here in Calgary. I guess it sort of depends on who you get, I know a couple of the guys in service there also have gotten theirs chipped. Even the sales people say (albeit in sort of a whisper) that you can even chip it for more power.

Yeah, practicality is another major consideration. I ski a lot and I've never had any issues with 2 passengers plus fitting my skis (172 cm) and my girlfriend's board into my 135, just put a seat down. Could maybe even fit another pair of skis in there for three in a pinch. The only pain in that case though is having to maybe carry a spare in the winter since run flat winters are pricey. It probably isn't as good for cargo as the GTI, but its not half bad itself.
      04-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
Southcentre Fine Cars here in Calgary. I guess it sort of depends on who you get, I know a couple of the guys in service there also have gotten theirs chipped. Even the sales people say (albeit in sort of a whisper) that you can even chip it for more power.

Yeah, practicality is another major consideration. I ski a lot and I've never had any issues with 2 passengers plus fitting my skis (172 cm) and my girlfriend's board into my 135, just put a seat down. Could maybe even fit another pair of skis in there for three in a pinch. The only pain in that case though is having to maybe carry a spare in the winter since run flat winters are pricey. It probably isn't as good for cargo as the GTI, but its not half bad itself.
My guitar case fits in the trunk of my 2000 Civic with tons of room to spare. I can barely get it into the 1er lengthwise. Fold down the back sits and I can slide the long end through but it's not very secure. Remember the 1er is a four seater and I think you lose one seat just to get the ski's through do you not? You might still be able to get all that stuff in, bring it to the dealership and ask if they will help you load it in to see. I think you could fit all that stuff plus two passengers but it'd be tight. Definitely not as much room as any Volkswagen hatch.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
BMWMTL514
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40

When did you test drive the 128i? Did you test drive it in winter? If we didn't have our famous (or should I say freakin') winters I would consider the 135i as my next car. But I've PM'd a few members with 1ers in MTL and Toronto and most told me the back feels too light and it doesn't have much traction in the snow.

Then again, there are tons of RWD bimmers in MTL so it can't be that bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
Wallie_17
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwant12 View Post
When did you test drive the 128i? Did you test drive it in winter? If we didn't have our famous (or should I say freakin') winters I would consider the 135i as my next car. But I've PM'd a few members with 1ers in MTL and Toronto and most told me the back feels too light and it doesn't have much traction in the snow.

I've never been worried about winter drving with any car, that has winter tires. They make all the difference and I wouldnt go one season without them. Worse case scenario is you stay in if there is a major storm or call your best friend to help pull it out.

My dad has a 550i and it is amazing in the winter. Its so controllable that you always feel at ease.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #16
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Take a bus or a cab? I remember Montreal had a pretty good metro (subway) system last time I was there. Maybe even car pool with that dude from the office who drives the Toyota Corolla Every office has like 10 at least
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #17
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Not sure how MTL winters stack up against Calgary winters, but I drove my 135 all through winter (on winter tires) without any huge issues. I got one flat, but that was more to do with a massive pothole. But anyways, no issues, and that includes several drives in poor conditions and ski trips.
      04-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #18
allies_jh
Dr. J
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
I'm in Calgary and I drove my car through all those winter storms too! Albeit, I did have some winter tires on. I made it out fine.

Hell, I drove to work today with my summer tires on in the crappy snow! Its all good man! Just buy the car!!
      04-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
BMWMTL514
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by allies_jh View Post
Hell, I drove to work today with my summer tires on in the crappy snow! Its all good man!
You still have snow in Calgary?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Don't want to rub it in but I haven't seen snow here in quite a while and the week-end forcast is 25oC! And I thought we had it bad in MTL...

Thanks for the input on the winters though, appeciate it, but my lease isn't up for another year...

Last edited by BMWMTL514; 04-23-2009 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #20
allies_jh
Dr. J
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
It was a freak April snow storm! It pretty much all melted today though..so its not too bad. Traction control is the shiiiet!
      04-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #21
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

Having the pleasure of having both...

Get the 135 with premium pack and/or M-pack. That's as close as you'll get to the seat of the pants flying (see my STI comparo rant).

If you get the 128, you MUST get the sport pack. At the very least, the suspension is better and the adjustable side bolster seats are brilliant.

BTW no issues with the 135 in snow at all (wife mainly driven). Had on Dunlop 3D on 17s. This whole "RWD sucks in snow" thing is getting realllll tiring.