BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
AzGregg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 1 series M coupe

thoughts on what is going on here, unusual tire wear.

So this is the fourth set of tires we have had on this car, factory, factory replacements, and two sets of +1 PSS. ALL OF THEM have shown the same issue up till now.

The current setup is 255/35 275/35 PSS, maintained at 35psi. Alignment maintained to factory specs.

I first had an argument with Discount tire when taking it in for a puncture repair on our second set. The employee did not want to let the car leave without new tires, called it a heat band, and said the tires were junk.

They had the tires inspected while repairing the puncture, I was told Michelin rep could not find any sign of heat internally.

every tire has shown the bands to some extent, but now our right front it has become a trough.

the right rear has an average band, left rear has none (newer tire) left front has average, and right front has the worst.

Its almost time for new tires, almost 100k on the car, I dont know if I want to go with another set of Michelins. The car is daily street driven, never tracked.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

That is caused by driving on an under inflated tire. Have never seen it caused by anything else.
Appreciate 1
Soterios575.00
      09-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #3
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

where are you buying your tires from? Discount tire?

did you check the date they were manufactured? maybe somebody just sold you old ass tires.
      09-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

It looks like the tire was run flat but if you're positive that's not the case, you mentioned you are running 275 and 255. Stock is 265 and 245. Have you considered perhaps the sidewalls are rubbing when the suspension compresses? Take crayon or stick some tape on the inside of the wheel well and see if the tire is hitting the fender. It's odd it would happen for all of them unless the car was dropped also but I'm curious too. So you are saying it did it when new with the stock size tires and wheels? Are you running spacers? Definitely going with a slightly taller, wider tire could cause it to hit the fender when compressed. Sadly, I was thinking of going with this combination myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
It looks like the tire was run flat but if you're positive that's not the case, you mentioned you are running 275 and 255. Stock is 265 and 245. Have you considered perhaps the sidewalls are rubbing when the suspension compresses? Take crayon or stick some tape on the inside of the wheel well and see if the tire is hitting the fender. It's odd it would happen for all of them unless the car was dropped also but I'm curious too. So you are saying it did it when new with the stock size tires and wheels? Are you running spacers? Definitely going with a slightly taller, wider tire could cause it to hit the fender when compressed. Sadly, I was thinking of going with this combination myself.
Agree with nachob. Looks like the tire is rubbing on the inside of the fender.

I've run 275s (and much larger) without rubbing, so I'm wondering whether you're running wheels with improper offsets, whether you've lowered the car or whether you're carrying around too many dead bodies in the trunk...

Neil
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
AzGregg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Agree with nachob. Looks like the tire is rubbing on the inside of the fender.

I've run 275s (and much larger) without rubbing, so I'm wondering whether you're running wheels with improper offsets, whether you've lowered the car or whether you're carrying around too many dead bodies in the trunk...

Neil
factory wheels, no spacers, not lowered, THESE TIRES HAVE NEVER BEEN RUN FLAT.

NO RUBBING

factory sized tires had the exact same issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Pull the wheel and closely examine inside of the fender lip for signs of rubbing.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 02:16 PM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Pull the wheel and closely examine inside of the fender lip for signs of rubbing.

Neil
I agree. That is the most common thing. There could be liner that shifted or out on incorrectly etc. Just peek on the inside and look for rubbing. Let us know I want to run this size myself
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGregg View Post
So this is the fourth set of tires we have had on this car, factory, factory replacements, and two sets of +1 PSS. ALL OF THEM have shown the same issue up till now.

The current setup is 255/35 275/35 PSS, maintained at 35psi. Alignment maintained to factory specs.

Its almost time for new tires, almost 100k on the car, I dont know if I want to go with another set of Michelins. The car is daily street driven, never tracked.
Have you ever changed your suspension? I would assume that the 19's that you are running plus the wide tires PLUS a tired suspension you are rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
AzGregg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
Have you ever changed your suspension? I would assume that the 19's that you are running plus the wide tires PLUS a tired suspension you are rubbing.
suspension is tight, we were just in there doing the turbos and checked things out. Also this has been happening since the car had a couple thousand miles on it on the factory equipped 19inch wheels with factory tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGregg View Post
Quote:
suspension is tight, we were just in there doing the turbos and checked things out. Also this has been happening since the car had a couple thousand miles on it on the factory equipped 19inch wheels with factory tires.
So you checked out inside fenders to look for rubbing?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Can we please see a pic of the stance of the car. Maybe a side shot and a 3/4 shot. I just can't believe its a "stock" setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can we please see a pic of the stance of the car. Maybe a side shot and a 3/4 shot. I just can't believe its a "stock" setup.
OP any updates?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
AzGregg
Enlisted Member
Rep

have not had any time to deal with it, most likely into October before I can even take a hard look at it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #15
AzGregg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
the car is STOCK suspension, I bought it new, has never been modified. I will take photos when I have a chance.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #16
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
That is caused by driving on an under inflated tire. Have never seen it caused by anything else.
Second this. Low tire pressure.