Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Stoptech Trophy Sport install

I learned the hard way that increased horsepower and a square setup with R-comp tires will destroy OEM sized rotors. I had hoped that fully floating PFC-V3 rotors would be up to the task with proper pads. I cracked a new set within 5 lapping days. Harold at HP Autosport helped with documentation, but PFC looked at the pictures and determined I had taken them beyond their designed operational temp. No warranty. FWIW, I swapped my OEM rotors back on for the final track day of the season and they held up better. I really don't want to deal with installing and maintaining brake ducts....but if it remains necessary, I will.

I considered the AP racing 372mm front setup with OEM rear, but my rear calipers are showing their age and I would prefer a set-up that comes balanced. Brembo 380mm front set won't clear my track wheels. Stoptech 380mm with ST60 6-pot calipers will. Stoptech it is.

As a show of good will (having just bought the PFC rotors this year) Harold gave me a great deal on a Stoptech Trophy Sport BBK, which I finally had a chance to install today.

During the bed-in procedure, it became abundantly clear that these stop the car very well. The second set of decelerations were very impressive with no fade even on rep #10. There is no doubt I could autocross with the street pads, something I could not do confidently with the OEM system using OEM pads or PFC Z-rated. I went for another drive this evening and can say enough about the pedal feel. I can't wait to head to the track with the "Club Race" pads.

Shout out to HP Autosport for awesome service!

Pics: front before and after, front and rear with the 359's, and a closeup following the bed-in....nice blue hue!
Attached Images

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.

Last edited by CarJunkie; 01-18-2021 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:53 AM   #2
Norm1M
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1m coupe

I was wondering was was your track wheel setup ? I was looking to upgrade my brake a well and Stoptech Trophy were on my list after the PFC BBK got discontinue.
I'm using a 275/35R18 wheel setup with Nitto NT-01 a each corner.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm1M View Post
I was wondering was was your track wheel setup ? I was looking to upgrade my brake a well and Stoptech Trophy were on my list after the PFC BBK got discontinue.
I'm using a 275/35R18 wheel setup with Nitto NT-01 a each corner.
Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et22. You can download and print templates from Stoptech to make sure you have enough wheel clearance. They recommend 2mm. I think I have 3-4 mm.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
Norm1M
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1m coupe

I'm currently using Enkei NT03 18x10 et 25 wheels and I'm not sure the 380 mm will fit under them, I checked with the template and it doesn't look like it will fit.
Other choice is to go with the 355mm kit
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm1M View Post
I'm currently using Enkei NT03 18x10 et 25 wheels and I'm not sure the 380 mm will fit under them, I checked with the template and it doesn't look like it will fit.
Other choice is to go with the 355mm kit
Or consider the AP Racing 372mm front only.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 1 Series M

This is the exact BBK setup I ordered as well. I'm still waiting on mine though When did you order yours?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:12 PM   #7
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoKnvl View Post
This is the exact BBK setup I ordered as well. I'm still waiting on mine though When did you order yours?
I believe it was late September or early October. I received the rears right away, but the fronts were back ordered and just came in about a week ago.

Apparently they are no longer doing the bronze anodized finish on the race hats, so I have the old style bronze race hats on the rears and the new style black race hats on the fronts. Fortunately this is not a show car so I really don't care about appearances, but waited about a week before installing because I wanted to verify that I had in fact received race hats, fully floating.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #8
EvoKnvl
Private
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 1 Series M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I believe it was late September or early October. I received the rears right away, but the fronts were back ordered and just came in about a week ago.

Apparently they are no longer doing the bronze anodized finish on the race hats, so I have the old style bronze race hats on the rears and the new style black race hats on the fronts. Fortunately this is not a show car so I really don't care about appearances, but waited about a week before installing because I wanted to verify that I had in fact received race hats, fully floating.
Oh ok. I ordered mine at about the same time. The date to receive them is 1/20, so hopefully mine are arriving soon.

Good info on the hats. Hopefully mine match since mine is more show, lol. But too bad they don't do bronze anymore, as they might have gone better with my wheels. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      01-24-2021, 08:57 PM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I learned the hard way that increased horsepower and a square setup with R-comp tires will destroy OEM sized rotors. I had hoped that fully floating PFC-V3 rotors would be up to the task with proper pads. I cracked a new set within 5 lapping days. Harold at HP Autosport helped with documentation, but PFC looked at the pictures and determined I had taken them beyond their designed operational temp. No warranty. FWIW, I swapped my OEM rotors back on for the final track day of the season and they held up better. I really don't want to deal with installing and maintaining brake ducts....but if it remains necessary, I will.

I considered the AP racing 372mm front setup with OEM rear, but my rear calipers are showing their age and I would prefer a set-up that comes balanced. Brembo 380mm front set won't clear my track wheels. Stoptech 380mm with ST60 6-pot calipers will. Stoptech it is.

As a show of good will (having just bought the PFC rotors this year) Harold gave me a great deal on a Stoptech Trophy Sport BBK, which I finally had a chance to install today.

During the bed-in procedure, it became abundantly clear that these stop the car very well. The second set of decelerations were very impressive with no fade even on rep #10. There is no doubt I could autocross with the street pads, something I could not do confidently with the OEM system using OEM pads or PFC Z-rated. I went for another drive this evening and can say enough about the pedal feel. I can't wait to head to the track with the "Club Race" pads.

Shout out to HP Autosport for awesome service!

Pics: front before and after, front and rear with the 359's, and a closeup following the bed-in....nice blue hue!
BBKs are looking good!

The 309 prefix sport pads will do good for all around use, including autocross.

For track duty you will want something more aggressive like the Stoptech's SRT 32 or 33.

Ferodo DS1.11 is also an excellent choice if you want a pad with a super flat torque curve and extended wear characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:58 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Or consider the AP Racing 372mm front only.
Front only BBK can survive most track days. We have two local customers both with E92 M3s, one on AP and the other on Stoptech, no issues so far when the rear pads are swapped out to match the front.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:45 PM   #11
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et22. You can download and print templates from Stoptech to make sure you have enough wheel clearance. They recommend 2mm. I think I have 3-4 mm.
Will the 359s clear these without your 10mm spacer up front?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:06 PM   #12
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UN1CORM View Post
Quote:
Will the 359s clear these without your 10mm spacer up front?
I haven't tried installing the 359's without the front spacer, but the kit is marketed for the 1M with no fitment disclaimers, so it should fit stock wheels.
Appreciate 1
PRTSB1M294.00
      07-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #13
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I decided to try a cocktail of StopTech trophy sports up front and Turner TrackSport slotted rotors with StopTech 309 (sport) pads in stock calipers for the rear. Will report back once everything arrives and gets installed in August (hopefully).
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:04 PM   #14
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UN1CORM View Post
I decided to try a cocktail of StopTech trophy sports up front and Turner TrackSport slotted rotors with StopTech 309 (sport) pads in stock calipers for the rear. Will report back once everything arrives and gets installed in August (hopefully).
You will probably be fine. I have already used up a set of front pads in 3 track days and the rear pads look nearly new. I am guessing a 3:1 ratio of front pad to rear pad use with the full stoptech setup. Consider using the brass guides in the stock rear calipers. They need a little more TLC, but the prevent angular deflection under hard braking. Pretty cheap mod to make them more robust.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 10:52 AM   #15
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You will probably be fine. I have already used up a set of front pads in 3 track days and the rear pads look nearly new. I am guessing a 3:1 ratio of front pad to rear pad use with the full stoptech setup. Consider using the brass guides in the stock rear calipers. They need a little more TLC, but the prevent angular deflection under hard braking. Pretty cheap mod to make them more robust.
I actually picked up the bronze kit from ECS.
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2616.50
      07-18-2021, 08:45 PM   #16
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Just be super vigilant with maintenance.

Although I think the following anecdote relates to the stock -front- calipers, one of the M3post guys had his solid guide pins freeze to the caliper leading to jamming. So just make sure to lube it -often- and definitely before a track day, if you end up doing the conversion.

I run an Essex AP BBK up front with stock rears and leave aggressive street compound on the rear (DS2500) for street/track, and swap to race compound up front. This has been a reasonable compromise for me. I do this because I'm lazy and am tired of futzing with having to pull the OEM caliper for pad changes. (Each time I don't strip the caliper mounting bolt or manage not to drop the caliper and stretch the brake line, I feel like I got lucky.)
Appreciate 1
PRTSB1M294.00
      07-18-2021, 08:57 PM   #17
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post

Although I think the following anecdote relates to the stock -front- calipers, one of the M3post guys had his solid guide pins freeze to the caliper leading to jamming. So just make sure to lube it -often- and definitely before a track day, if you end up doing the conversion.

I run an Essex AP BBK up front with stock rears and leave aggressive street compound on the rear (DS2500) for street/track, and swap to race compound up front. This has been a reasonable compromise for me. I do this because I'm lazy and am tired of futzing with having to pull the OEM caliper for pad changes. (Each time I don't strip the caliper mounting bolt or manage not to drop the caliper and stretch the brake line, I feel like I got lucky.)
Good point. The brass guides do not have dust shields and should be pulled, cleaned and lubed frequently. It's quick and easy to do that one pin at a time without removing the caliper, but it's also easy to forget.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 09:00 PM   #18
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post

I think I read this same topic on M3 post and definitely plan to lube them often I just got the TMS tracksport rear rotors and hope to swap everything over once the front kit arrives in a few months.
Appreciate 0