BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

carloverthepond
08135IFL

You guys didn't take any photos to make a DIY ?

tisk tisk!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #24
08135IFL
Private
Rep
Drives: N54 135i Coupe

😆
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 07:09 PM   #25
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

I didn't want to start an entire thread for this so i thought id check here first. So im in the middle of this very unpleasant job, mostly because its -10°C in an unheated garage, but i have maybe stumbled upon a problem. Im on figure 20 (https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm) and my centre bolt came out perfectly fine, the right one the entire stud unscrewed but wont fully comeout? And the left one is caked in shit and real tough to spin? Any advice?
Attached Images

2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #26
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
The one that unscrewed but didn't come out, that's the design of the bolt, I had the same things, it's not an issue.....the one that is caked in you have to get creative....i am not sure if it will work but maybe try break parts cleaner, it might help break it loose , but first put jam some papertowel around the bolt to minimize the cleaner splashing around.
Appreciate 1
519.E82223.00
      02-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #27
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayHack View Post
The one that unscrewed but didn't come out, that's the design of the bolt, I had the same things, it's not an issue.....the one that is caked in you have to get creative....i am not sure if it will work but maybe try break parts cleaner, it might help break it loose , but first put jam some papertowel around the bolt to minimize the cleaner splashing around.
Thanks wasn't sure at first because i saw a video of someone pull theirs straight out. As for the other one, i may just try the old impact on it :

Edit: didn't get to try impact it just snapped in half with a ratchet
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #28
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
Thanks wasn't sure at first because i saw a video of someone pull theirs straight out. As for the other one, i may just try the old impact on it :

so it snapped but it's loose right? in other words, you're good right, just need a new replacement bolt ?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #29
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

so it snapped but it's loose right? in other words, you're good right, just need a new replacement bolt ?
I assume im good cause the top half snapped off? Idk haven't got to finished cause i dropped my ujoint and can't find it so went to buy a new one and all the stores have no power so im just fucked at the moment. I guess try again tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #30
SayHack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I assume im good cause the top half snapped off? Idk haven't got to finished cause i dropped my ujoint and can't find it so went to buy a new one and all the stores have no power so im just fucked at the moment. I guess try again tomorrow

It's all right man. Happens to the best of us lol......just a heads up, once everything is loose, removing the valve cover is little annoying and requires patience due to limited spacing, just make sure you don't lose it like me haha. It not hard, just tedious ....similarely when installing it back

Last edited by SayHack; 02-28-2019 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
519.E82223.00
      03-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #31
jcoop269
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e82 n52

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

It's all right man. Happens to the best of us lol......just a heads up, once everything is loose, removing the valve cover is little annoying and requires patience due to limited spacing, just make sure you don't lose it like me haha. It not hard, just tedious ....similarely when installing it back
I'm assuming the job is complete at this point it for anyone reading, the real pain comes when you're putting the cover back on and the new gasket falls out of the grooves and ends up catching on crap and twisting up under after you start tightening everything down....and only THEN do you realize you have to take the cover off again. Good luck to all!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #32
Kyrie535
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535xi sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-ray89 View Post
Anyone has link or instruction manual to replace the valve cover gasket? I want to do it myself but idk how tedious the work is. Thanks in advance!
I know this forum was 2 years ago but on YouTube "BMW Fanatic" has the best diys and I've learned alit from his vids
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 11:33 PM   #33
///Makis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

So I'm half done with this vcg job.

As everyone says it's a PITA, I expected it to be tedious, but I was not prepared for how tedious it would be. There is literally no room behind the valve cover and it makes getting last three bolts a nightmare, even with an assortment of u joint and wobble extensions etc. I honestly believe it would be easier to pull the engine and Tranny out of the car and change the gasket than it is to do it while in there. I watched the fcp euro video on changing this and there's a hell of a lot more room in the x3 than in the e82/88 (shocking I know) but nonetheless be prepared for a lot of knuckle scraping, swearing, and in general questioning why the f*ck bmw In all their wisdom chose to do certain things like have all the wires and cables run directly over the engine instead of behind, have a valve cover that is impossible to get out and put back in, in any reasonable amount of time.

With that being said, some things that should help people in the future. Remove the metal bracket on the VC that the vanity cover blots it, I think it's two t30 torx in the back passanger side of the engine, also remove the weather stripping below the mirror, this helps things a bit. Otherwise best of luck, it's not a fun job
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 11:28 AM   #34
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
As everyone says it's a PITA, I expected it to be tedious, but I was not prepared for how tedious it would be. There is literally no room behind the valve cover and it makes getting last three bolts a nightmare, even with an assortment of u joint and wobble extensions etc. I honestly believe it would be easier to pull the engine and Tranny out of the car and change the gasket than it is to do it while in there.
I got mine in without too much trouble, but I had my wife pulling on the cowl to give me a little more room. I also have close to $500 invested just in 1/4" ratchet tools and extensions so that made it a little easier too. I honestly don't think it would be much trouble to pull the cowl off. You need to remove the wipers and then I think it will pretty much pull down and off. With that gone, you should have easy access to the rear three screws. If I ever do my VCG again, that's what I'm going to try. If I'm right, it will only take around 30 minutes and greatly reduce the frustration and swearing involved.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #35
SKI-R
Working towards usefulness
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i, E91xi, Tundra

From an e90post thread....

5 - I truly don't understand how people get the valve cover back onto the head without creating extra clearance in some way. I personally found (my brother gave me the advice) that loosening the transmission mounts and jacking up the transmission a few inches pivots the entire motor forward and down around the engine mounts giving that extra inch or so you need. It's just two nuts and a jack, I really think it's worth doing so you can be extra sure the VCG didnt roll or get pinched. I couldn't even get the valve cover back in on mine at first, then i jacked the transmission and got the cover in first try. Also it gives the valve cover bolts more room to be tightened.

Worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #36
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Remove the passenger wiper arm and the plastic scuttle piece that the wiper is trapping in place. You'll now have all the room you need to get the VC in and out.

Been there 3 times. 1st time took a couple of hours of fiddling, cursing, and internet searching. Next 2 times were a snap.

You will need some sort of puller to get the arm off. Cheap tool at any autoparts place.

This will also give you easier access to the 3 bolts at the back of the VC.