BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
philaf_666
Philaf_666
Rep
Drives:

Hotchkis front sway review

Got the Hotchkis sway bar installed yesterday and got the chance to drive the car pretty hard to see the difference.

The front is definitely more stable during cornering, more predictable and communicative. The car does understeer a bit more on corner exit but feel more confident in the beginning and mid section of a corner.

The problem is that once you start playing with the front end, you start feeling the problems with the rear. Because of the increased stiffness of the front, I can now feel the back of the car bouncing a bit more from side to side.

Not sure I would recommend this mod for somebody who's not willing to do some more mods to fine tune. For those, I would recommend the front tension rods and wishbone from the M3. That alone was a pretty good mod and didn't seem to affect the overall balance of the car and even reduce understeer a bit.

Luckily for me, I've already ordered the M3 rear subframe bushings, UUC rear sway and 700lbs spring rate for the rear dampers (already on KW v2) to make the rear of the car similar to the front.

Hopefully, the car should be more balanced and neutral after this.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Bdh821
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

hmm interesting. I've been debationg on what to do first. M3 suspention parts or sways. All I can say is goodluck with UUC...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...41#post4923241
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
philaf_666
Philaf_666
Rep
Drives:

Yeah I've seen this. But I think it was due to them moving their facility. Probably done by now. Not that this is excusable from their part...

Mine was showing in-stock so hopefully it will be a week or so.

Else I'll add to that thread
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
akak1997
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 @ 135mph

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I've notice very similar thing after I've installed the front sway. When I drove it hard a day after the install, I notice one of the rear seems to lift off during cornering. It's not an "oh sh*t" moment tho. The car still feels to be in control (Traction Control Full ON, i.e. didn't touch the button whatsoever), maybe it's the TC saved my butt, I'm not sure. I's hoping to see that with coilover the rear should be fine, but from what you've seen, I guess not.

Did you upgrade your KW V2 front springs? IIRC the KW front spring rate is something ridiculously low. Putting 700lb/in in the rear might be too much different compare to the front? even with the ultra stiff front sway..

Can't wait to hear what you think with the rear sway + springs + m3 parts
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
philaf_666
Philaf_666
Rep
Drives:

My experience was with traction control full OFF. You do have to control the rear end a little bit more, but that part I like

The car understeers a bit more, but once you play with the gas and steering, the rear seems like it wants to oversteer more than before. I think it's only a matter of balance between front and rear that is off right now.

For the rear spring rate, I went with Harold's suggestion and he seem to know what he's talking about. Once installed, I'll see how it feels. I'll upgrade the front springs if I have to, hopefully not.

Can't wait to get the parts! I just hope not to live the UUC nightmare others have experienced...
Appreciate 0