BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
maybeone
Registered
Rep
Drives: 05 Subaru Legacy GT

vert suspension setups ?

I am considering buying a 135 vert and would like to know if any of you have done suspension mods on a vert ? I know the vert will be softer than the coupe due to less body stiffness but is there anything that can be done to the suspension to improve turn-in, remove understeer and increase grip. I am not looking to track the car but just looking for a street setup that is more biased towards performance than ride. You can assume that I would chuck the run-flats immediately and get some max performance summer rubber. TIA for any help.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

I have been thinking about the BMW Performance suspension. Problem is that if you want it covered under warranty you have to get the dealer to install it (at 8.5 of labor).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

The stock suspension is not that bad for a vert actually. Its better than the suspension on an RS4 vert.

Upon saying that, however, Im thinking the perforance suspension for me.
      04-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
maybeone
Registered
Rep

I didn't know you could get the BMW performance suspension for the vert. I looked on the BMWusa site and it didn't appear to be available.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

hmmmmm...I did not even think that it would not be available for the vert. I believe the same suspensions are the same. I am almost sure the shocks are the same. I suspect the rear springs on the vert might be a little stiffer to deal with the added weight of when the top is down. They should have Performance springs for the vert.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
maybeone
Registered
Rep

I went to the dealer today and inquired about the performance suspension. The performance brochure shows the suspension being available for the coupe but not the vert. The salesperson was clueless. I'm sure it has something to do with spring rates like you said. Has anyone tried coilovers on the vert ? I was hoping to find a simple solution with springs, struts and sways that would not require much twiddling but i am willing to go the coilover route if others have had good experiences.
Appreciate 0