BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
nhd4spd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 13' 135i

N55 Cooling System Failure

Hi there, I am new and this is another expansion tank thread

I read the others, I was hoping to get some pointers on a couple things. Car is a '13 with just over 40K miles, the expansion tank failed at the seam and I am ordering a new OEM tank and cap.

1. I saw on a thread somewhere else that someone said you should replace the thermostat at the same time, and possibly other components that may have failed and caused the tank to fail? My heater was still blowing very hot air after I discovered the leak so I feel like the thermostat is working ok?

2. Someone mentioned replacing the upper radiator vent hose at the same time because it's prone to failure, it's a DCT car so I assume it would be part# 17127565094
Do you think that's necessary? It's a weekend car so will probably only accumulate a few thousand miles a year if that makes a difference. 40K miles seems early to replace something like that, but I would have said the same thing about the expansion tank.

3. The bleed procedure. My car has the bleeder screw but it is above the max fill line for the coolant tank, so it seems like I would have to siphon coolant back out after the bleed? Is there any advantage to using the bleed screw, or is it the same result if I just fill it to the max line in the tank and leave the cap off the tank to add fluid as needed during the electric pump coolant bleed procedure.

Thanks, I have already learned a lot from this forum!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

On BMWs, it's never to early to replace something usually expensive!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
nhd4spd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 13' 135i

That seems to be the impression I am getting based on the forums

Any advice on that bleed screw vs electric bleed only issue?
Appreciate 0