BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
mclemens
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Coil pack replacement

Has anyone got BMW to pay for replacing all of the coil packs in your 1M?

I'm getting a number of mis-fire engine management codes but no "Service soon" warning or loss of power. Happens most often when the car is cold and appears to happen more often when it is damp outside.

I get the individual cylinder codes and the multiple cylinder code. I just clear the codes (using the P3 vent gauge), shut the car off and then restart. Never any codes on the second start.

If you've had the coil packs replaced did they also change the spark plugs?

Thanks
      06-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

IF one was the devious sort... you could remove the engine (spark plug cover) and mist some water all over that area - with the engine running. That might be enough to make an SES or ECL come one and give you the needed code to have all the coil packs replaced.

Btw... IF you get your dealer to replace all the coil packs you might want to twist their arms some for new plugs while they are at it and new injectors. Replacing all three items will make your car idle and drive like a new car.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
mclemens
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Coil pack replacement complete

I had all of the coil packs and spark plugs replaced when my oil cooler was being installed. The coil pack for cyclinder 2 had a small amount of oil on the end of it. Cyclinder 2 was the one that most often had the mis-fire code. Other cyclinders also got the code but cyclinder 2 was the only one with any oil on it.

We'll see if all of the codes go away.

It will also be interesting to see the oil temp change with the new oil cooler. I've been seeing 270f to 280f after 30 minutes or so on the track.
      07-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclemens View Post

It will also be interesting to see the oil temp change with the new oil cooler. I've been seeing 270f to 280f after 30 minutes or so on the track.
OT, but what oil cooler did you go with? Perhaps you could post some install pics on a separate post?
      08-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

I am having a somewhat similar issue but do not think its my coils or my plus or my injectors. I think the issue is carbon buildup. carbon buildup can cause the car to do slight misfires under idol. under wot my car is fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
OT, but what oil cooler did you go with? Perhaps you could post some install pics on a separate post?
+1

Do tell and did you have it done at your BMW dealership?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclemens View Post
Has anyone got BMW to pay for replacing all of the coil packs in your 1M?

I'm getting a number of mis-fire engine management codes but no "Service soon" warning or loss of power. Happens most often when the car is cold and appears to happen more often when it is damp outside.

I get the individual cylinder codes and the multiple cylinder code. I just clear the codes (using the P3 vent gauge), shut the car off and then restart. Never any codes on the second start.

If you've had the coil packs replaced did they also change the spark plugs?

Thanks
Most of the time BMW will only replace the cylinder with the misfire. That means one coil pack and spark plug at a time. Perhaps the shop foreman or the service manager can do something for you. It never hurts to ask. Most of our customer just got tired of going back to the dealer multiple times and have us replace all the spark plugs and coil packs(customer pay of course).
Appreciate 0