BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

View Poll Results: FMIC: Evolve or ETS???
Evolve 21 42.86%
ETS 28 57.14%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

08-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #23
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Long Post Warning!

I am about to pull the trigger on the Evolve FMIC

I guess I will be one of the few with one of these that won't go with any engine tune. So, we will see how it will go.

Why I waited so much? Well, I don't have a tune, don't track my car since there are no "real" tracks nearby and Chilean weather is not particularly warm to worry about, it is pretty mild even during summer time. Plus, putting more weight on the nose of this car and introducing even the smallest amount of lag were always my concerns, they still are.

Did I have any overheating/limp kind of issues? No, never, not that I noticed anyway.

What changed then? Nothing really changed but I came to a conclusion that stock ic can not really be "enough" for the 1M. Enginewise 1M is like a tuned 135/335, it runs higher IATs. It is a fact that N54T has considerably higher boost levels as well as an overboost function on tap. So, my conclusion is BMW's decision of keeping the regular N54 FMIC for 1M while equipping it with PPK oil cooler and secondary radiator, was not based on a technical necessity; sure, a very light ic with minimal lag is superb on some accounts and I want to keep it that way but my bet is they kept the regular ic simply because of the notorious budget restrictions, the same way that we have the identical charge pipe which seems like it can crack if you cough loudly. So, if I changed the charge pipe without waiting it to crack or pop, why not the IC?

After two years of reading and listening the FMIC related topics here and other similar forums I've decided that for my purposes Evolve might be one of the best, if not the best aftermarket unit. Why so?

- It is an absolute bolt-on which needs no trimming, cutting and uses all the stock connection parts. It is just a slightly bigger and much better built stock replica, the way that I want my FMIC!
- It is by far the lightest aftermarket FMIC that I know for the N54 platform; only a reported 3.5 kg. more than the stock (stock is plume) and there is absolutely no way that I can sense this kind of minimal increase in weight; only a pro test driver's lap times could differ in miliseconds but that has nothing to do with me.
- Never heard anything but best user reviews about the primary function of it, cooling without a drop in pressure.
- Evolve has provided more than a year ago their 1M test car's dyno charts which shows a) stock b) with rear exhaust and FMIC only c) like "b" but with their tune and there was significant gains without a tune over the stock.
- Because it is not a large FMIC and again listening to user reviews it seems like there is no unwanted lag added in the picture (fingers crossed here, I will see it myself).
- The company which built this ic for Evolve is a special company with long history in this business which also produced the ic for Koenigsegg super car as well as some motorsport applications.
- It was not a unit just carried over for the 1M from previous non-M N54 applications, it was actually developed on a 1M which is always a very good thing imho,
- The built and material quality looks and is reported to be second to none (similar to Forge I assume),
- I was offered a good price which put it well in the lines of (top end) competition, not more expensive than a Forge for instance.

So, this is the story of how a stubborn and conservative "slow and careful modder" like myself is sold on an aftermarket FMIC without having or even planning an engine tune. By the way, that is also good that in case I or next owner wants a tune the car is all set for it, at least for a Stage 1 (I keep the stock dps and intake). But as it stands now my 1M is just closer to a stock car with little corrections and perfections whereever they are needed/felt in order to make it as reliable and pleasant as possible without making it something else.

Hope this helps to the purposes of this thread as well as to anyone who is evaluating pros and cons of aftermarket FMICs like I did, and still do. Once done, I will share my impressions and post a before/after dyno.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 08-22-2013 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #24
turbowolfe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: whiteout

Garage List
1987 911  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Great to hear. I am also in the midst of getting the Evolve IC and Tune. Can't wait, I have seen Evolve's hardware, and they are quality pieces. Congrats! Looking forward to your review.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #25
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M, E90 320d

Oz,
Not sure if any of these pics help. You might have already seen them...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oystero View Post
Oz,
Not sure if any of these pics help. You might have already seen them...
Of course they help man! Great pictures, thanks a lot. Look at the resemblance in shape and size with the stock unit and then look at the ridiculous difference in visible quality:lol

First thing on Monday, I am completing this order, better regret doing it than not doing it
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Ignore, my early comment, I thought that the Evolve was stepped for some reasone. Looks great, but keep in mind that it is tube & fin and there are pro's and con's to this. I can't see how the design differs to OE really?... cores are practically the same with 8 rows of tube & fin.
That's what I was thinking. Just looks like stock but better quality.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Any suggestions on how many km/miles before performing a "after" dyno of the new intercooler?

I assume the ECU has to adapt to new intercooler first but don't have idea how many miles would be safe to perform a meaningful dyno to see the results from intercooler change.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #29
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We have yet to see an unsatisfied customer with ETS

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #30
diegorst
Private First Class
Peru
Rep
Drives: ‘11 BSM 1M | ‘14 Caterham 485S

So I finally went with the ETS, I really wanted my FMIC to be anodized to hold up better to the ridiculously high humidity there is in Lima, rust is a big issue here.
So far it feels really nice, but I still have to try it on a track someday soon.
The problem I have now is that I've been bitten by the DP bug...and I am thinking of taking one last tuning step and go for the downpipes.
I already ordered the Stage 2 map from Evolve, I'm going to try it first without the downpipes but I have started to look for downpipes to be installed soon.
Any thoughts on which DPs to go for? I've done some research and have finally been debating between the ceramic coated AR Design and the Macht Schnell. The Akra looks nice but it isn't offered with the ceramic coating and its waaay more expensive tha the rest, is it worth it?
Hope to get some feedback on this!
Thanks
      10-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #31
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Diegorst, since we chose the same FMIC I'll tell you about my DPs on my 135 (I had my ETS FMIC anodized black for cosmetics and for durability). Much earlier than that I had already upgraded to AR silver ceramic coated catless DPs! My mods are in my sig, pretty much in the order that I did them. I did have a Procede for a while before getting my custom dyno flash tune. With the flash tune I have to use adjustable sims to keep from getting service engine soon lights due to the catless DPs.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #32
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Couldn't imagine getting anything other than Evolve here.
      10-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #33
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

There's place about 45 miles from me, VRSF. They make a nice 7" bar & plate designed intercooler. Mine has some small holes in it and I need to buy another one. My original was basically the same set up from Madness Motorworks, but they don't make them anymore. My tuner and a few guys use the VRSF and no issues.

http://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-7-front...2-e90-e92.html

Last edited by UsualSuspect; 10-12-2013 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #34
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

I have a day off tomorrow which I will spend for the installations that waited since forever: Evolve FMIC, BMS OCC, P3Cars gauge. I plan to do before/after dynos as well. Will post here my impressions and dyno results later. Actual mods are in my sig.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #35
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Like I said in my previous post here: They are all installed today; for now all I can say is Evolve FMIC is just very slightly bigger and heavier than stock, looks like one is made in Sub Sahara (BMW) the other in Jupiter and there was no trimming whatsoever needed. We did not drop down the bumper as well, the ramps in the workshop was good enough for doing the job. Tech guy took a photo of the two together, I will post here when I receive from him.

"Before install" dyno results today were similar to my previous data; last time I had 301 whp and 340 wtq, today had 303.6 hp at 5170 rpm and 341.7 tq at 2679 rpm, the data chart is in front of me but I need to scan and post another time.

Conditions were absolutely identical (as good as it gets), 21 Celsius, 550 m. altitude, 4th gear pulls up to 6700-6800 rpm, hood open, DSC off, M button pressed, 97 octane gas (must be in between US 91 and 93); exact same dyno (Mustang) and same operator as before.

3 observations: First; this is a Mustang dyno where a 2012 M3 dynoed at 323 whp just before me last time I did my run which I later learned that is regular for M3s on this type of dyno; so I am now 19 whp close to that peak power! I still don't have any engine mod or a aftermarket down pipe or an intake or a bov, and this last run was before FMIC install too.

Second observation: Chart shows that power is climbing till 5170 rpm and holding flat pretty well till mid 6000s where operator holds back, there is no falling of power during anywhere in 5000s or early 6000s. Tq reaches the peak at mid 2000s, climbing very steeply from low down and holding pretty flat till almost 4500, even at 5000 there is more than 310 lb.ft torque available at the wheels. It starts falling with a steeper curve after 5000 though.

Third observation: All 3 runs ended up with more hp and tq than the one before, best run was third and last run, we joked that maybe if we'd continue testing after a sixth or seventh run I can see M3 power, or not!

I know well that dyno is not where a FMIC makes a change but when I make my second dyno in a few weeks time I hope to see no losses at least and maybe a bit if a gain. Evolve tests were giving the impression that with their exhaust and fmic together you are supposed to make some solid power even before a tune.

So far so good.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 10-15-2013 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #36
oystero
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M, E90 320d

Nice report ozi
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #37
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Thanks oystero. Here is the dyno graph and numbers that I said I would post. There might be misinterpretation from me since all these new numbers are quoted with WCF; previous numbers that were only slightly lower were not "with WCF", if taken WCF, they would be considerably lower: 285.7 hp and 330.0 tq; so maybe there is a very clear rise in numbers since last year with exhaust better broken in and air filter and charge pipe were installed; a combined effect or something of this sort. I already asked the workshop, what may be the cause, a different filter value/correction or anything, waiting their response.

Dyno (ignore the date, the year as 2012 is a computer date/hour set up error, it was performed yesterday ,14/10/2013):

Mustang -1.pdf

Mustang -2.pdf
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #38
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

UPDATE to previous post on 1M with Evolve FMIC

So, finally today I had my control dyno session after the install of Evolve FMIC a bit over a month (and few hundred kms.) ago.

Quick reminder; back in October I've installed the Evolve FMIC together with BMS oil catch can. Today's dyno should reflect the changes (if any) because of this FMIC exclusively. My car still is with stock engine tune, ER charge pipe with stock dvs, aFe drop-in dry air filter with stock intake, stock dps with N55 mids and Evolve Race rear muffler.

Same conditions as it was back in October: Exact same ambient temperature (21 Celsius), similar humidity; as always, same dyno/same operator, 4th gear pulls (3 pulls), DSC off and M button pressed to engage sport mode, hood open and operator backs off around 6800 rpm. Indeed, I waited for the "identical" weather conditions show up since 10 days or so

Results are a bit surprising! First of all, thankfully no loss in power despite lack of a supporting tune ...but there is loss in peak torque! HP is up from 303whp (please remember this is a Mustang dyno which E92 M3s were reading around 323 whp)..to 308 whp. Achieved again at the very last run, like it did before. Torque is down from 341 lb-ft before to just 325 lb-ft now, after the new FMIC.

During driving I did not notice any lack of torque or any issues, I did notice a very happily revving engine but did not jump in conclusions before performing this dyno run.

Pay attention to rpms:

Before the FMIC:

303.6 whp at 5170 rpm
341.7 wtq at 2679 rpm

Now with Evolve FMIC:

308.3 whp at 6417 rpm
325.4 wtq at 2793 rpm

Peak power at 6417 rpm instead of 5170! You guys go and name it.

And when I will have a good scan of the curve you will see how crazy flat the power after that previous peak hp rpm level (around 5200), it remains at peak till the red line, absolutely zero drop! Shape of the rest of the curve are very similar (before 5200).

The tq curve changed more significantly, giving less tq everywhere till 5300 and after that point there is more tq than before in parallel to hp.

It is a very clear change and I take it as a very welcome trade-off. The car is begging to hit the red line now, especially at lower 3 gears and less snappy at around 2000-3000 where stock car was developing all of a sudden a huge rush of torque. It is smoother low down and more aggressive at top.

I have zero doubt that we would pass 310 whp if I would let them go for a fourth run. Anyway, I am merely 15 whp shy of E9X M3s without a tune and dps and this 1M revs between 6000 to 7000 rpm reminiscent of my old E90 330i with its 258 hp N52 engine used to do.

I guess I have a right to be happy ...and did I just tune my N54T without a tune?!

Last edited by ozinaldo; 11-26-2013 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #39
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Hey guys!

Did you notice the most relevant part of my previous (long) post?

The max power is attained at 6417 rpm after the install of Evolve FMIC, up from previous 5170!

Anybody has some comments or perceived the same/similar with a partially (like mine) or fully (with engine tune etc.) modded N54?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #40
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Nice results. Can't wait to see the print out to compare the curve. Been thinking about a FMIC, just not sure who to go with yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #41
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Nice results. Can't wait to see the print out to compare the curve. Been thinking about a FMIC, just not sure who to go with yet.
Right. New charts are saved in my work pc, not here and they were too big size to be attached in this site but I will find a way to resize and post them tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #42
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

New Charts & Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Doc1.doc

Doc2.doc
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #43
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

(On behalf of ozinaldo)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #44
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Thanks -cj-

The one he just posted is in comparison to previous (before FMIC) dyno in October.

2 posts above has as attachement the stand alone dyno chart of last week, plus the numbers print out.

It is crystal clear how things changed with a FMIC, less power and torque ("less" on a dyno of course) with similar curves before 5200 rpm; and more of both after that point. The power never falls till the end..or almost.

In real life, car is asking for shifting at easily around 6500 or more.

On the road, I don't feel at all less power, pulling force at low-mid rpms, I feel it is smoother low down and feels more like a strong NA engine.

Most important of all I feel no lag added, same as before, pretty lag free with the simple mods I have.
Appreciate 0