E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Flatspots

08-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
johnnyrt
Rep
Drives: BMW 525 TDS

Flatspots

Hello
Has enybody in Belgium a 325i with the problem of the flatspoton 3100 rpmt/min?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #2
nexus66
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I've got the flatspot on a uk spec 325 (2.5litre)

I know there are others out there!

Still need to organise the dealer to have a look!
      08-11-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I've got it too - right on 3100rpm! We've discussed it on here already, but carl_d is a member on here and he's test driven a 325i that does not have the problem due to the software being updated. I haven't asked the dealer for the update yet as I am waiting for the september updates...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
nexus66
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That sounds like a good idea jhbodle! Anyone know if in the uk we're stuck with the same software update schedule as the states?

E90Fleet - you're good for this kind of info!
      08-11-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

I don't seem to encounter any flat spot in my aust spec 325i. everything is the way one woild expect it to be under normal, gentle city/suburban driving conditions.

it is very hard to drive in a "spoty" manner where I live due to heavy traffic and cops with speed cameras everywhere. Doesn't do anything to help the road toll making drivers travel as slow as 40kms.

Also, too many idiots on the road, so you really need to anticipate THEIR movements if you want to avoid a collision.

I haven't clocked up many kms, so I am still in break in mode.

I have found that DS is much better than D mode in my Steptronic 325.

I am taking it real easy (but varying the revs/speed when I can) and truly enjoying every moment in my car.

What a BIG jump from my old 1998 e46 323i.

I hope those of you with the flat spot issue at any revs have it rectified as soon as possible.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
nexus66
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I haven't heard of any Autos with the problem! Anyone want to correct me?
      08-11-2005, 04:19 PM   #7
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: g20 330d xdrive

I actually drove a 325iA some months ago and it felt strong all the way through the rev's.
That was a rather short testdrive but despite that, the engine felt great. I didn't like the steptronic, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet
That was a rather short testdrive but despite that, the engine felt great. I didn't like the steptronic, though.
The engine really is terrific!!!
Sad to read that you were not impressed with the Steptronic, however, it is hard to appreciate in a short test drive. I am loving every moment with my Steptronic and I feel that is hasn't deteriorated my driving pleasure after moving away from manual E46.

It does take time to become accostomed to it - although not much, really. Anyway, I'm sure that if you are a manual fan Hornet, the manual for you witll be something else.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 01:08 AM   #9
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

Hi Nexus66. When I originally raised this issue, you will recall that I promised to follow it up with the dealer. My car has now done over 7000 miles and is much more willing to rev - whilst the flat spot is still there, it's not so noticeable.

I must admit that I've not had chance to follow it up, but will give the service manager a call in the next couple of days to ascertain whether any updates have been released. Back in April, my car was the first E90 that had entered the workshops and there were no other reported cases of the flatspots - this must have changed by now. I'll post the outcome.

My appreciation of this car grows by the mile. The handing is in another league compared to most cars and the sound/pull of the engine from 4 - 7K is fantastic. I took the car for a true high speed cross country blast last week and was amazed at its ability to put the power down on the road on all types of surface. It copes well with sudden camber changes and mid corner bumps, which would have sent the stability control on my old E46's into a frenzy!

Only niggle other than the flatspot is the ticking from the B-pillar caused by the seat belt mechanism. I must remember to ask the dealer about that as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 01:38 AM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones

My appreciation of this car grows by the mile. The handing is in another league compared to most cars....
I totally agree and I have driven only a fraction the distance you have covered. I cannot wait to get in and drive the car. It feels so safe and secure, you feel very safe too.

Everything about it including the ride my run flats offer is very much OK for my personal requirements. I cannot wat for the kms to build up a bit more so I can really test out what the car has to offer in performance but I am still enjoying the gentle and on a few occassions, not so gentle approach but not aggresive just yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 01:51 AM   #11
dynamics
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90:325i

I don't seem to experience that either. I'm into my 3rd week with my 325i with auto-transmission and steptronic. So far I only clocked 1100 km and I haven't really exceeded the 4500 rpm but I already feel that the engine is coming alive after the 800 km. I can easily overtake or pick-up speed from standstill without having to cross over the 4500 rpm mark. It is a much better performer than my previous 318i valvetronic and to think that it hasn't break-in yet. I'm expecting more to come after the 2000 km break-in.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 04:53 AM   #12
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: g20 330d xdrive

OT, more thoughts about the 325iA. The engine certainly felt strong enough for the steptronic transmission and the steptronic would be ideal for a city driving with traffic jams.

However, the steptronic function didn't impress me when I wanted to down-shift in lower gears. Usually I had to push the lever twice to get the result I wanted. Maybe it would have required a longer drive for the steptronic to adapt to my driving style.

As said, the steptronic is great if you have to drive in big cities and rarely drive outside the city. I'd definitely get the steptronic for the diesel engines in my current location but for the petrol engines the manual would be the best choise.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 08:18 AM   #13
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle
I've got it too - right on 3100rpm! We've discussed it on here already, but carl_d is a member on here and he's test driven a 325i that does not have the problem due to the software being updated. I haven't asked the dealer for the update yet as I am waiting for the september updates...
This is correct. I have driven the same 325 6-speed twice. Originally a few months back (2000 miles on clock) and there was a distinct hesitation as you describe. The salesman, who regularly drives the demo car, highlighted the hesitation before my test drive and said his Master Tech knew how to fix it, once new software became available (at a guess DMS). My second test drive was less than a month ago (9000 miles on clock) and the problem had gone – just seamless power. I have not yet been able to find out what, if anything, has been changed on this demo car but I will. I am due to speak with dealer today and since I’ve ordered a 325 I am keen to get an answer. It may also be wise to wait until after the other new software in September before pushing for an upgarde. Wife's E60 520 has same problem at 1500 rpm and new DMS software is being loaded today to fix it! Will let you all know of any news as it happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #14
mikejsully
Damage..damage...amage..a mage
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
I had the same 3100 ~ flat spot in my U.S. Spec 330i and now that I have put some miles on the car (~5000miles) I have to concentrate in order to notice it. It seems to be disapearing with mileage.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #15
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_d
The salesman, who regularly drives the demo car, highlighted the hesitation before my test drive and said his Master Tech knew how to fix it, once new software became available (at a guess DMS). My second test drive was less than a month ago (9000 miles on clock) and the problem had gone – just seamless power.
I tried to ring my service guy, but he's on holiday until 22/8. If you can find out the cause & fix, it would be really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #16
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is correct. I have driven the same 325 6-speed twice. Originally a few months back (2000 miles on clock) and there was a distinct hesitation as you describe. The salesman, who regularly drives the demo car, highlighted the hesitation before my test drive and said his Master Tech knew how to fix it, once new software became available (at a guess DMS). My second test drive was less than a month ago (9000 miles on clock) and the problem had gone – just seamless power. I have not yet been able to find out what, if anything, has been changed on this demo car but I will. I am due to speak with dealer today and since I’ve ordered a 325 I am keen to get an answer. It may also be wise to wait until after the other new software in September before pushing for an upgarde. Wife's E60 520 has same problem at 1500 rpm and new DMS software is being loaded today to fix it! Will let you all know of any news as it happens.
Spoke with dealer today. The 325 I tested did have new DMS software loaded. FIXED
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #17
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Spoke with dealer today. The 325 I tested did have new DMS software loaded. FIXED
Thanks Carl. I'll book my car in.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2005, 06:59 PM   #18
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

I feel like an idiot. Whats a flat-spot?

I have a 325i 6 speed (us spec with 3 liter engine) and I do notice a non smooth acceleration. I feel a constant pressure on the gas does not promote constant acceleration. Car seems to have sudden disapearance of power at some rpm and sudden increase at another rpm. Is that what you guys are talking about??

From what u saying, I am assuming a software upgrade will fix it?

Thanks
Skimo
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 03:58 AM   #19
nexus66
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah Skimo that's pretty much what we're talking about. Although this isthe first time I've heard of it on a us spec 325 3 litre!

We're all hoping a software upgrade will fix it! It's probably needing a new fuel map in the ecu!
      08-13-2005, 04:25 AM   #20
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimo
I feel like an idiot. Whats a flat-spot?

I have a 325i 6 speed (us spec with 3 liter engine) and I do notice a non smooth acceleration. I feel a constant pressure on the gas does not promote constant acceleration. Car seems to have sudden disapearance of power at some rpm and sudden increase at another rpm. Is that what you guys are talking about??

From what u saying, I am assuming a software upgrade will fix it?

Thanks
Skimo
The fix mentioned above is for early non-US spec 325's with the 2.5 liter engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 04:38 AM   #21
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones
Thanks Carl. I'll book my car in.
Yeah, thanks carl, you've been a great help!

Crazybones, when you do get your car updated, could you post back here and let us know if the fix worked like it did on carl_d's demo car?
Also, I take it you'll only get one free software update then you'll have to pay for them - would it be better to wait for a few weeks and get all the September updates as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2005, 01:21 PM   #22
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle
Crazybones, when you do get your car updated, could you post back here and let us know if the fix worked like it did on carl_d's demo car?
Also, I take it you'll only get one free software update then you'll have to pay for them - would it be better to wait for a few weeks and get all the September updates as well?
I'll check out with my service guy when he returns whether we'll be entitled to further updates. As he only returns later this month, it will probably be early Sept by the time the car is in the workshop (usually a 2 week wait for the first appointment). I'll let you know how I get on.
Appreciate 0