BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Trutchy
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Question Car Delivered without a LCD Screen on the dashboard...

Hey all..

I got my car a month ago and i am only now finding time to post this after much fun..

I ordered my car without NAV but made BMW stipulate whether the car would still come with the screen and I-Drive. They said it would and have an email to prove it... Sounds good, i can still use the screen for my music and I-phone and not have to pay for the NAV application etc...Perfect...

Not Perfect.. the car came without a screen... So now i have the shitty basic stereo unit with the HK speakers..

BMW dealer told me that this is the same message german gave them and its their fault.. The dealer said that they would order and fit the screen but CANNOT since its impossible to fit if the car is not ordered with it. They offered to fit the BMW aftermarket screen free but they still cant tell me what it does and if it will work with I-Phone (Music & Calls). They even said they would get me a new car but cant since there allocation is already sold out..

Does anyone out there have sufficient knowledge to know if my dealer is feeding me a load of horse shit or if it is simply impossible to fit the screen that i originally ordered.

Cheers..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry to hear of your problems, but your dealer doesn't appear to be very well informed. The iDrive and the nav are all of the same thing and I'm shocked that they thought you could order a screen separately that didn't have the nav function in it. You also do not have to "pay for a nav application". Did they tell you this? There is no subscription for nav. You just buy it and that's that.

I've never heard of a BMW aftermarket screen, but after searching the web I found this:

Looks pretty basic to me and I've no idea how you control it. I would also think that there is no way of controlling your iPod through it.

I'm also absolutely sure that you cannot aftermarket fit the iDrive!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Trutchy
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

the only thing i can find online that looks similar to what they have offered is this..

http://www.mfestforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6041
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

+1 to ChrisBuer, the screen/IDrive IS the nav, no way to get one without the other when using just factory parts.

You can have try and have the dealer retrofit the screen on, see here for what it usually takes to get it done :

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...drive+retrofit
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...drive+retrofit
http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/...&product_id=78

Those links are examples for the retrofit onto a E9X but it would be fairly similar for our cars.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems, but your dealer doesn't appear to be very well informed. The iDrive and the nav are all of the same thing and I'm shocked that they thought you could order a screen separately that didn't have the nav function in it. You also do not have to "pay for a nav application". Did they tell you this? There is no subscription for nav. You just buy it and that's that.

I've never heard of a BMW aftermarket screen, but after searching the web I found this:

Looks pretty basic to me and I've no idea how you control it. I would also think that there is no way of controlling your iPod through it.

I'm also absolutely sure that you cannot aftermarket fit the iDrive!
Where did you find that image? That's pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
Where did you find that image? That's pretty cool.
I see what you did there....

That would be great until August in Atlanta where I need every vent perfectly positioned at my face since the AC in the 1er's is so woefully inadequate (AND LOUD)

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trutchy View Post
the only thing i can find online that looks similar to what they have offered is this..

http://www.mfestforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6041
That's not too bad. It could be paired up with an Apple Mac Mini like this thread. :-) http://www.macvroom.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
foxyman
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI Manual

They may be referring to this:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...oup=Navigation
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I would think they are talking about the Portable Pro (voice controlled) or Portable Plus (touch controlled) system. I think they are using the Garmin 37?? these days - a top of the line Garmin. It gets wired to the car with a special cradle so it integrates with the car radio. That gives you bluetooth phone and navigation through the car speakers. Music is reduced in volume during navigation instructions or phone calls automatically. Old Garmins used to have MP3 playback capability but they won't control an ipod. You could move your music to a SD card but you'd have to find an old Portable Pro model based upon the Garmin 885t. Maybe they could find this but it still would not manage your ipod.

The appearance would also be very different from the BMW navigation. If you search old posts you can find pictures. I think the most recent is in the technical topics section for electronic changes. I wrote one a while back and put it in the DIY section. mine could be found searching on "nuvi". I didn't use the BMW system so the cost was lower but the integration is more basic. There are two mounts that will work in your car, I believe. The one I used is a metal bracket that gets screwed under the hood over the gauges and positions the nuvi to the right of the gauges. The other mount I am less familar with but would look more like the idrive. It is a plastic piece that goes where the storage compartment is on the european cars - more in the center of the dash. I think both would work but if you like the looks of the idrive the tray mount might be more to your liking.

If you really want to control your ipod, it can be done on the radio but you have to deal with one line of information if I remember right. I do not know of a "good" way to do this. I think a portable pro would be a nice addition, especially if the dealer gave it to you free. But I do not see it fixing your ipod unless you both get an older model and are OK with moving the music to a SD card. The nuvi will control a 16GB card but I think it still has a 1000 song limit. I haven't bumped into that yet (I am around 800).

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=Portable+Pro

Jim

Last edited by JimD; 08-23-2011 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: add link
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

How could your dealer not know this? Ludicrous.
      08-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
I see what you did there....

That would be great until August in Atlanta where I need every vent perfectly positioned at my face since the AC in the 1er's is so woefully inadequate (AND LOUD)
Put it in where the useless vent to the left of the steering wheel is.

I might do that, If I can find this thing.
      08-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Sounds like the dealer got confused. Sorry to hear about your issues.

I know the new X3 and F10 5 series actually comewith an LCD screen that you can get without ordering the navigation option which will do exactly what you described.

Ill wager your dealer thought this was the standard for all 2011 cars, however it was never an option on the E82/87/88 1 Series family.
Appreciate 0