BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #45
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_ride View Post
So I called last Friday and spoke to the head tech and was told I would get a call from the SA on Monday. No call Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. I finally decided to call him myself, he didn't know he was suppose to call me although he did find a note about it while I was on the phone. Told me that it had to be seen by the regional something or other. I'm assuming this is someone from BMW NA. He said he'd call me back with when this overlord would be there. I'll post again when I have an update.

Sounds like I'm getting the run around. Anyone else had any success or response?
I don't think you're getting the run-around, although the SA not getting back to you is annoying. I've seen in other threads (maybe the recent one on paint issues) that if it's a major flaw in the model, that the BMWNA rep has to see the car and they have a 2-week visit cycle or some such.

I'm eager to find out what's gonna happen. So far my "hole" is just an exaggerated rubbing.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 06:34 AM   #46
hommedefromage
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 Cabrio

Angry Roof replaced under warrantee

I had the same problem. Showed up at 3k and really bad by 7k. Got a new roof two weeks ago (BMW Peabody). BMWNA reported no awareness of this issue. Gave me the roof as a "customer courtesy." Replacement looks good but it is not oem fit (there is a slight pucker at the lower c-pillars that I was told is standard on all replacements. Not a big deal unless you feel a 40k 8 month old car should still look perfect). As everybody is saying, I have no confidence that the problem will not reappear and there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent it. I love the cabrio but I'm thinking seriously of trading it for a 335 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #47
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Still waiting in Oz for a response from BMW Australia..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #48
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hommedefromage View Post
I had the same problem. Showed up at 3k and really bad by 7k. Got a new roof two weeks ago (BMW Peabody). BMWNA reported no awareness of this issue. Gave me the roof as a "customer courtesy." Replacement looks good but it is not oem fit (there is a slight pucker at the lower c-pillars that I was told is standard on all replacements. Not a big deal unless you feel a 40k 8 month old car should still look perfect). As everybody is saying, I have no confidence that the problem will not reappear and there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent it. I love the cabrio but I'm thinking seriously of trading it for a 335 coupe.
I have had my roof changed as well but due to a faulty rear defrost line. I do not have a pucker at my C-pillars.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #49
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
I have had my roof changed as well but due to a faulty rear defrost line. I do not have a pucker at my C-pillars.
Thats good to hear.. Hopefully its just a dealer install prob..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #50
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Thats good to hear.. Hopefully its just a dealer install prob..
I would think so because other than a mis-guided cord that was just fixed you can't tell that it is a new top. I've had it since December now and it performs exactly the same as my original top.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #51
hommedefromage
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 Cabrio

Puckered roof

I just traded the my 135 Cab auto today. I've got a deposit on a 328 cab but might go back and switch the order to a 135 cab 6spd. The car has been jinxed - roof tear, turbo boost fault, dropped the garage door on the rear bumper. Plus the color combination of monaco blue/taupe top is a detailer nightmare. I'm a tailgater and this color is definitely not tailgater friendly. Every bit of road sand that hits the front bumper leaves a chip. I could either change my driving style or buy a lighter color car. I've opted for the latter.
I'm a little concerned about jumping into another rag top. Anybody have any sense of how prevalent this c-pillar abrasion is?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #52
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Called the dealer again a week ago and was assured that I would followed up with... Left a voicemail for the SA on Thursday, another week has gone by and still nothing.

Anyone have any luck getting this addressed? What's my next step? I've spoken to someone and they spoke to the Service Manager, the Master Tech, and this SA I'm dealing with... nobody seems to care. The only calls about this have been from me, not one call back from the dealer since I brought it in for the 'inspection'.

Update (June 6): Called the Service Manager directly. He promptly called me back -- oddly it didn't seem like he had heard about this previously. He indicated that I would get a call back with an update within 15-20 minutes. Sure enough, the SA calls me and says that approval for replacement is eminent and he will hopefully call me back tomorrow to confirm and schedule an appointment.

My car has been on the road for 5 months. Is BMW going to replace my top every Summer? The SA indicated that there was nothing he could do and had no insight regarding what what BMW was doing and that if necessary they would simply replace it each time the fault appeared. Now, don't get me wrong I'm happy to see this type of (immediate) response -- which by the way is what I expect from BMW -- but the lack of ownership from this SA is sad. He would be better suited to work at a less prestigious manufacturer.

Having the long term view in mind I will continue to follow up with BMW... I don't want this problem to continue for another 3 tops until my warranty is done and they're looking at me to pick up the tab.

IF YOU ARE AFFECTED BY THIS AND ARE INTERESTED PLEASE SEND ME YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AS I WILL USE IT IN MY FOLLOW UP WITH BMW. PLEASE BE SURE TO USE PM. With each encounter I will follow up via PM only with the group that responds. It doesn't matter where you are as BMW should be able to look you up via VIN.

First/Last Name
VIN

Last edited by hot_ride; 07-07-2009 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #53
604_e90325i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i jet black

anymore update on this, i bring my can in for service and my top has all this kind of wierd line looks exactly like this pic

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1243529584
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 02:18 AM   #54
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

The lines happen if you keep your top down for extended periods of time. If it gets wet and then you let it sit in the sun it usually relaxes.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #55
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Just a note for those who eventually get their tops replaced.

I just found out recently that my top is actually mis-aligned a bit. It is not noticeable when just looking at it. The reason I noticed is that on the right side the gasket was sticking out a bit when the tonneau cover was in place. I lifted the tonneau cover up with my key fob and saw that the gasket was out of place.

What I found through making it go up and down was that the right side was rubbing against the gasket and had actually worn it a bit and over time it knocked against it so much it dislodged it. I checked the left side and the top does not rub the gasket whatsoever.

I have it scheduled to be picked up and a BMW loaner dropped off for me a week next Monday. Luckily my dealership has this valet service as I'm tired of bringing it in for top issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #56
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
Just a note for those who eventually get their tops replaced.

I just found out recently that my top is actually mis-aligned a bit. It is not noticeable when just looking at it. The reason I noticed is that on the right side the gasket was sticking out a bit when the tonneau cover was in place. I lifted the tonneau cover up with my key fob and saw that the gasket was out of place.

What I found through making it go up and down was that the right side was rubbing against the gasket and had actually worn it a bit and over time it knocked against it so much it dislodged it. I checked the left side and the top does not rub the gasket whatsoever.

I have it scheduled to be picked up and a BMW loaner dropped off for me a week next Monday. Luckily my dealership has this valet service as I'm tired of bringing it in for top issues.
You bring up an interesting point. I am wondering if the rub that is occurring for some of us (eventually turning into a hole) is being initially caused by some micro misalignment from the factory that isn't visible unless the top is carefully examined...

I'd love to see a Vert that doesn't have the rubbing issue, anyone in Toronto?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #57
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I don't have a rubbing issue to date but as I noted above, my top is only 6 1/2 months old as opposed to 1 year for the rest of the car. I have felt underneath and do not feel anything rubbing against the fabric.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #58
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep

Yay! Confirmed! I'm getting my new top.

Based on the number of PMs I received (none), this issue isn't occurring very frequently. Guess I'll have to wait until it happens with the new top...

Good luck to all.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #59
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Good news. I am surprised by how long it too for them to confirm it for you though.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #60
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Will give my dealer a follow up call as I havent heard back from them in 3 weeks..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #61
eyackconnor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Convertible

Just confirmed today that BMW has ordered a new top for me. It may take a few weeks for it to come in to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #62
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Will give my dealer a follow up call as I havent heard back from them in 3 weeks..
I didn't get ANY response until I called the service manager directly. Don't let anyone intercept your call under the premise of "Before I get the service manager, let me try to help you".

I wasn't overly concerned, but 1 month unanswered on an issue as serious as this on a car that has an MSRP of 56K was not pleasant! Would have only expected that from GM or Chrysler or something...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #63
Katahdin
Rep
Drives:

I’m another victim of this defect. Not as bad as some of the others here, but the fibers are starting to fray where the top rubs. The car is 14 months old with 10,000 miles.
      07-24-2009, 05:29 AM   #64
polljimmy
Rep
Drives: BMW

RE : Convertible Roof tear

Now a day all the roof tear are convertible and all fabric roof want maintenance. so i have one suggestion , I suggest one fabric protection company which is provide complete solution for Fabric Treatment and Fabric Protection.

For more information about Fiber Treatment and Fiber Protection.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #65
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by polljimmy View Post
Now a day all the roof tear are convertible and all fabric roof want maintenance. so i have one suggestion , I suggest one fabric protection company which is provide complete solution for Fabric Treatment and Fabric Protection.
Thanks for your suggestion, but until I decide to carpet my convertible top, I'll stick with RaggTopp.

http://www.autogeek.net/racotopcakit.html

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #66
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

My dealer was completly agaisnst replacing my roof. I found the tear after they put my roof back on after taking off to fix all of the mechanicals that broke (because I put 5 years worth of wear on it in 8 months) I blamed the tear on them and got it fixed for free.

At the time I honestly thought it was their fault.

Appreciate 0