BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Tried AA Wheel Protectant and....

This stuff flat WORKS. I'm not going to post pics (unless requested) because we've seen plenty so far. I sprayed down the wheels after a good cleaning, and let them dry for about an hour. I then lightly went over them again and let them dry for another hour. My wheels are SIGNIFICANTLY cleaner than they've ever been after a week or so.

Also, I hate to say it, but if this product was labled P21s or SONAX, then everyone would be shouting from the rooftops that we've finally gotten the answer to our brake dust issues. Give it a shot- you will like it. I have no affilation.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

How long does it last though? A week or two?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
How long does it last though? A week or two?
I'm on a week so far and it shows no sign of deteriorating yet. However, it's been dry out, so I don't yet know how rain will affect it. If I could get 2 weeks out of an application I think that would be good. From what I can tell, I think I'd be able to get about 4 or 5 applications on all wheels out of a bottle, which would equate to a new bottle every 2 months or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
I'd like to have the sales concession...
Hey, don't you already get one from Sonax??

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

+1000 Says it lasts up to 4 weeks, but I doubt it includes rainy or bad weather. Mines been on a couple of weeks and the wheels look like I just washed them. Incredible stuff - and the first AA product I've ever liked.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

how does it compare to a typical sealant application like BFWD or rejex? can you do a test, or have you seen a test done?

maybe split half one of the front wheels down the center and apply half and half. let it go for two weeks and then wash with just soap and water and see what happens????

I am on the fence to trying it out, I have too many products as is...I would apply to every BMW wheels I do if there was hard evidence it worked better than either M21 or BFWD on wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
james33
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
how does it compare to a typical sealant application like BFWD or rejex? can you do a test, or have you seen a test done?

maybe split half one of the front wheels down the center and apply half and half. let it go for two weeks and then wash with just soap and water and see what happens????

I am on the fence to trying it out, I have too many products as is...I would apply to every BMW wheels I do if there was hard evidence it worked better than either M21 or BFWD on wheels
No idea - never heard of the other 2 you mention. If you have the others, it's no biggie to buy one can and try it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

yeah I guess, but I just threw out about 15 products I dont use or recommend anymore after using better stuff...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
+1000 Says it lasts up to 4 weeks, but I doubt it includes rainy or bad weather. Mines been on a couple of weeks and the wheels look like I just washed them. Incredible stuff - and the first AA product I've ever liked.
I am up to about 600 miles, and drove through a rain storm the other night- wheels still look close to perfect. Again, I was super careful with the application covering everything, let it dry for an hour and then lightly hit them again and let them dry again. I gotta post up some pics, it's really amazing how the wheels look. They literally look like I just washed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post

I've RejeX'd my wheels before and it's done a great job of helping clean off the brake dust easily- but it doesn't prevent it from sticking in the first place. I'm over a week and a half in with this application and other than a few small spots that I either missed or rubbed with my finger the wheels are spotless. Not to mention that you just spray this stuff on. Waxing your wheels is a pain in the nuts (but I still do it in addition to using the AA).

I can do a test like this if people are really interested. However, hopefully the posts from people who have tried it already would encourage someone to spend the $7 to try it out.

I'm not prone to hyperbole- there are plenty of products I've posted about in the past that I don't like (some start with Z ). I just call them as I see them, and this stuff works very well. I am very impressed with it.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here are my wheels after over 3 weeks and one rain storm. Make your own determination as to whether it works enough for you. For me, it does exactly what I need- gets me from wash to wash without the ridiculous looking dusty wheels.
Attached Images

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Wow, I can't believe I've been lead to an Armor All product, but you guys have pushed me over the edge. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Wow, I can't believe I've been lead to an Armor All product, but you guys have pushed me over the edge. Thanks!
Cool, I am looking forward to your review!

Couple of things I noticed: the wheels have to be completely dry. Otherwise, when you spray the aerosol product on, it causes all the hidden water drops to run down the wheel. I'm sure this leaves gaps in coverage and would cause streaking of dust. Also, ensure complete coverage and let it dry. Then I did lightly respray to make sure everything was covered and let it dry. I didn't notice any milky residue or anything. I applied as if I was applying a light coat of primer to the wheels, trying to avoid runs but getting full coverage.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #12
Stealth135i
Turbo Lover
South Africa
Rep
Drives: N55 135i 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Cool, I am looking forward to your review!

Couple of things I noticed: the wheels have to be completely dry. Otherwise, when you spray the aerosol product on, it causes all the hidden water drops to run down the wheel. I'm sure this leaves gaps in coverage and would cause streaking of dust. Also, ensure complete coverage and let it dry. Then I did lightly respray to make sure everything was covered and let it dry. I didn't notice any milky residue or anything. I applied as if I was applying a light coat of primer to the wheels, trying to avoid runs but getting full coverage.
Did you cover your rotors and calipers? Or did you just spray on the alloy as much as you could and just ignore over spray? im sure over spray should effect braking ?
      08-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth135i View Post
Did you cover your rotors and calipers? Or did you just spray on the alloy as much as you could and just ignore over spray? im sure over spray should effect braking ?
I didn't cover anything. Once you hit the brakes, it would wipe off any overspray anyhow. This stuff would come off if you wiped it with a rag.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Just bought a can based on the reviews. I'll chime in with results in a week or two.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

ok so how does this compare to P21S or Sonax, for those who have used them as well?
(btw, which P21S and Sonax product would we be comparing this to? not the cleaner i suppose as this AA product is to protect the wheel, not clean it...that right?)

as for the application, you just spray it on, no need to rub it in? what if you spray too much on one spot, does it stain?

my car's brand new (1000mls on it) and I tried rejex, but it didn't work at all. maybe because my brakepads were still so new...dunno, go figure.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #16
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
This is actually a great product from Armor All, and anything that does accumulate wipes up really easy with a rag. longest I went between applications was 3 weeks with weekly washes and it still wasn't caking brake dust.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
james33
Private First Class
Rep

The AA wheel protectant keeps the brake dust and dirt off the wheel. It's NOT a cleaner or wax. You need to wash and thoroughly dry the wheels before spraying it on. It's clear and you don't touch it. Let it dry an hour or so and you are set. SUPER easy to use. I don't mask off the wheel or anything and lasts weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #18
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
The AA wheel protectant keeps the brake dust and dirt off the wheel. It's NOT a cleaner or wax. You need to wash and thoroughly dry the wheels before spraying it on. It's clear and you don't touch it. Let it dry an hour or so and you are set. SUPER easy to use. I don't mask off the wheel or anything and lasts weeks.
awesome. so if I for some dumb reason accidentally spray the rotors, brake pads, tires, or even the car itself, do I need to worry (I'm guessing maybe if I accidentally spray the car ?)

so what would you guys recommend I use to get the wheels cleaned before using this? I've read a lot about this here and it seems like a lot of people use Sonax or P21S. which specific cleaner would be recommended for the factory 264 rims?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #19
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobm View Post
awesome. so if I for some dumb reason accidentally spray the rotors, brake pads, tires, or even the car itself, do I need to worry (I'm guessing maybe if I accidentally spray the car ?)

so what would you guys recommend I use to get the wheels cleaned before using this? I've read a lot about this here and it seems like a lot of people use Sonax or P21S. which specific cleaner would be recommended for the factory 264 rims?
If you spray it on the paint then I would clean it up just to be safe, but I used their wheel cleaner also and a good scrub followed by a full car wash. And like it says just clean, let the wheel dry, spray it on, then let it dry for 1hr.

I get some black residue sometimes, but they'll wipe off super easy with a rag.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #20
james33
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobm View Post

Don't overthink this. It won't hurt your rotors and brakes. You can wash the stuff off your wheels with just soap and a cloth so I don't even worry about getting it on the paint, although I haven't. It's not rocket science to hit just the wheel. I've gotten a little on the tire and when dry you can't even see it. Don't waste money on wheel cleaners - just use a good soap and water plus a microfiber or other cloth. Most wheel cleaners I've tried did no better than the Meguiars Gold Class car wash that I use on the paint. And P21S is a wax, if I remember right. Don't put anything on the wheels after washing and drying them but the AA protectant.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #21
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I couldn't agree more. I did my first applications a couple of weeks ago and my wheels still look great.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #22
radorotrex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Cabrio / 08 M3 Sedan

I have used it 3 times this summer so far and it's great. However, I end up using more than half the bottle on my 261 m rims. The problem with these rims are the split spoke areas that I need to make sure I get a good coverage on. At almost 10 bucks a bottle it gets a little expensive but still worth it given the results.
Appreciate 0