BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
zia1er
Rep
Drives: G01 X40i, E24 M6

128i suspension refresh questions

Hi Guys,

I've read a lot on this forum about springs for the 1 series, but I haven't seen anything conclusive about spring upgrades for a 128i M sport, which is what I have.

I've purchased koni adjustable but am unsure if getting new springs, since the 128i m sport has sport springs will make much of a difference beyond ride height. I plan to do the subframe bushings and upgrade to larger wheels as well. This is a daily driver and I'm not currently concerned with ride height, I just want better handling than the stock dampers provide and I should get that with the konis. Any other 128i M-sport drivers out there have any experience with a suspension refresh? Any suggestions, noticeable improvements in swapping springs beyond ride height? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zia1er View Post
Hi Guys,

I've read a lot on this forum about springs for the 1 series, but I haven't seen anything conclusive about spring upgrades for a 128i M sport, which is what I have.

I've purchased koni adjustable but am unsure if getting new springs, since the 128i m sport has sport springs will make much of a difference beyond ride height. I plan to do the subframe bushings and upgrade to larger wheels as well. This is a daily driver and I'm not currently concerned with ride height, I just want better handling than the stock dampers provide and I should get that with the konis. Any other 128i M-sport drivers out there have any experience with a suspension refresh? Any suggestions, noticeable improvements in swapping springs beyond ride height? Thanks

The Konis will definitely improve body control especially over tired/old OEM shocks. The spring upgrades will provide you with further ride stiffness and lower height, really depends what you are after. I would also suggest refreshing/replacing all rubber parts like spring pads, strut mounts etc while you are in there - the overall costs are not high and you can get most of the parts in a package. ECS Tuning for example sells such a kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

I have a 128i M Sport. Currently, it has Eibach springs, Bilstein Sports, Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts, and M3/1M control arms. I'm getting ready to pull the Bilsteins out (they are not aging well) and replace with Koni Sports.

If you still have the stock dampers in there, virtually anything will be an improvement. The Eibachs lower the car a bit more than the M Sport springs, and are somewhat stiffer - good dampers are necessary. The rear subframe bushing inserts are a big improvement and less work than changing the bushings themselves - something to consider if you're running this as a DD. Finally, the upgraded control arms (mostly the fronts) plus a proper alignment really make a difference in the precision of the front end once all-new components are in there.

Aside from the self-destructing Bilsteins, I'm very pleased with the setup for DD use. I suspect the Konis will improve the ride a bit further.
      05-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

I saw a very big improvement in both ride quality and handling going from Sport dampers to Koni Yellows. And my dampers didn't have a bunch of miles on them.
      05-21-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
zia1er
Rep

Thanks, did you swap springs?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #6
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I'd just stick with stock springs. Any aftermarket spring is going to lower you at least an inch, and that's a lot on a car that's already pretty low. BMW did a lot of cheaping-out with the dampers, and those are where you should spend your money. I originally went with Eibach springs and Koni Sports, but they were too low, so I saved up and eventually coughed-up enough to get a customized set of Ohlins coilovers.
Tuxedo1398.50
Olgeezer1173.00
      05-21-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, did you swap springs?
Went with BMWP springs as I wanted a little drop and a slightly higher spring rate. However, I think the Koni's would work quite well with Sport springs.
      05-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #8
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Run, don't walk, to get the BMWP springs while they're still available.

I'm very happy with the BMW Performance T1 springs on all four corners. They only lower the car about 1/2 an inch from the M-Sport suspension. They're definitely stiffer than the stock M-Sport, but not so much as to be uncomfortable. I think they're just about perfect for a spirited daily driver. They definitely cut down on the body roll on tight turns.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #9
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

If you go with the BMWP springs make sure you get the right ones for your car. One of the big + of those springs is they are not a one size fits all. They are selected based on the weight of the car.
      05-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
zia1er
Rep

Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate it. Where would one even find BMW performance springs now?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #11
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:
Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate it. Where would one even find BMW performance springs now?
ECS/Turner still have them in stock. A local dealer might still be able to order them from a BMW warehouse. If you have a lightly-equipped 128i, you would probably want T1 in all four corners. They make 4 different spring rates I believe, but most 128i will use the T1s.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Try Tischer aka GetBMWParts. They are a dealer and will run your vin thru a spring selector and let you know what are the correct springs for your car. They were pricing as low or lower than other sellers when I was shopping. The BMWP springs are more expensive than alternatives - just under $400 for a set.

If you car is MT and lightly optioned, T1 on all 4 will work My car is AT with most options and T2 all around were the right springs.
      05-26-2020, 11:15 PM   #13
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
I'm getting ready to pull the Bilsteins out (they are not aging well) and replace with Koni Sports.
What issues are you seeing with the Bilsteins? Also what mileage on them and what kind of use?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:39 AM   #14
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
What issues are you seeing with the Bilsteins? Also what mileage on them and what kind of use?
Here's an interesting thread about Bilsteins.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #15
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Here's an interesting thread about Bilsteins.
Like anything, experiences have varied. I had my bilsteins warrantied successfully with no problem. Issue for me mainly was a supply problem since they were moving factories.

I got about 60,000 KM out of my fronts, roads are terrible in my area so I'm sure that's why the fronts went early. Rears are still going strong at about 90,000 km.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #16
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Like anything, experiences have varied. I had my bilsteins warrantied successfully with no problem. Issue for me mainly was a supply problem since they were moving factories.

I got about 60,000 KM out of my fronts, roads are terrible in my area so I'm sure that's why the fronts went early. Rears are still going strong at about 90,000 km.
Like you said, experiences can vary. At first, I was happy with them, but after a while I thought mine (B8s with ECS install kit) were bumpy and uncomfortable at lower speeds. They absorbed road imperfections great when going faster, though. If I had to do it again I would probably go with something different because of how they felt at lower speeds. Had no issues with quality but didn't have them on the car very long before I sold it.
Appreciate 1
Olgeezer1173.00
      05-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #17
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Like you said, experiences can vary. At first, I was happy with them, but after a while I thought mine (B8s with ECS install kit) were bumpy and uncomfortable at lower speeds. They absorbed road imperfections great when going faster, though. If I had to do it again I would probably go with something different because of how they felt at lower speeds. Had no issues with quality but didn't have them on the car very long before I sold it.
yep fair enough - they definitely have a distinct "feel" compared to Konis or other. I have a feeling they were developed with european/german roads in mind. They don't do so well on the sharp/high frequency small bumps = harsh ride. I find they are great for the high amplitude big bumps/dips where strong and fast body control is required - that's where I find them to excel....
Appreciate 1
Olgeezer1173.00
      05-30-2020, 05:59 PM   #18
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I'd just stick with stock springs. Any aftermarket spring is going to lower you at least an inch, and that's a lot on a car that's already pretty low. BMW did a lot of cheaping-out with the dampers, and those are where you should spend your money. I originally went with Eibach springs and Koni Sports, but they were too low, so I saved up and eventually coughed-up enough to get a customized set of Ohlins coilovers.
That's what I did. Bilstein B6's w/ the stock Sport Pkg. springs. Wasn't looking for a drop in height just wanted a damper upgrade. They work great, a little sharp maybe as others have mentioned, at slow speeds on rutty roads but a big improvement once you get rolling.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 12:36 PM   #19
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Talking

I really like my Dinan springs, I highly recommend them! I recently moved to the mountains and my setup feels really good especially compared to stock, it feels like a different car almost! I went with Koni orange shocks when I found out they were the same as the yellows just set on the softest setting I believe...

Dinan springs
Dinan camber plates
Koni Shocks
Lowering spring perches
BMW strut mounts
Megan upper strut bar
Toyo Proxes T1 Sport
BMW Competition Wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:45 PM   #20
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATBMW View Post
I really like my Dinan springs, I highly recommend them!
Have only heard good things about the Dinan springs for the 1 series. Sadly, I think they are NLA. They haven't been on Dinan's website for a while now, but I do remember reading about a member who bought a set secondhand last year.

Dinan still shows a couple of different spring sets (P/N D100-0497, D100-0926) available for the E9x 3 series. Wonder if either of those are the same as the ones they sold for the 1 series? Probably not since the 3 series weighs more.

The BMW Perf. springs are similar and AFAIK are still available. I think the Dinan springs are slightly lower and stiffer.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #21
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post

Quote:
I had a set of PSS9 coilovers that lasted a little less than 10,000 miles/15 months before the right strut blew. Luckily the whole set was rebuilt under warranty (and then sold). I switched to Ohlins and haven't looked back.
      06-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #22
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Run, don't walk, to get the BMWP springs while they're still available.

I'm very happy with the BMW Performance T1 springs on all four corners. They only lower the car about 1/2 an inch from the M-Sport suspension. They're definitely stiffer than the stock M-Sport, but not so much as to be uncomfortable. I think they're just about perfect for a spirited daily driver. They definitely cut down on the body roll on tight turns.
What shocks are you running with the BMWP springs?

Edit: just saw your signature, please ignore lol

Last edited by Papa Popov; 06-08-2020 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Im dumb
Appreciate 0