BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-07-2020, 10:36 PM   #1
icestorm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Recommendation for 116i 2010 ?

Hi, i have a 2010 116i with about 43K miles on it. I have put about 10K already on it and the main repair i have had to do was replacing all ignition coils. I have had the oil changed regularly.

Are there any other things which i should expect to be repaired ? I plan to put maybe another 50K on it. I am more concerned about items outside the regular maintenance like oil/tires/brakes..

This is my first BMW and would like to avoid any unexpected failures. I am working in Japan as an expat and use it car for my daily driver plus adventures so want to make sure that i am on top of any repairs/maintenance.

Would appreciate any feedback ! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 12:59 AM   #2
icestorm
Registered
Rep

One thing i wanted to add is that this past winter, i drove in Hokkaido in a snow storm with at least several inches of snow. I was not sure what to expect from a rear wheel drive and was quite pleased with the performance. I had winter tires and chains as backup and did not have to use the chains.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 06:09 AM   #3
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestorm View Post
One thing i wanted to add is that this past winter, i drove in Hokkaido in a snow storm with at least several inches of snow. I was not sure what to expect from a rear wheel drive and was quite pleased with the performance. I had winter tires and chains as backup and did not have to use the chains.
Sometimes low horsepower and low torque has its benefits. Too much of either and the throttle becomes too touchy, spinning the wheels and getting nowhere
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #4
icestorm
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Sometimes low horsepower and low torque has its benefits. Too much of either and the throttle becomes too touchy, spinning the wheels and getting nowhere
Yeah agreed.

My main concern is something unexpectedly failing. At 50,000 KM mark, i had engine light come on and the engine was knocking. I finally had to get the car towed to a shop and turns out that my spark plugs and ignition coils (all 4) had to be replaced. Luckily, i was just going to work and not in the middle of nowhere. :--)

That is why i would like to do address any items which may fail to avoid such surprises. If you have any suggestions please share.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icestorm View Post
Hi, i have a 2010 116i with about 43K miles on it. I have put about 10K already on it and the main repair i have had to do was replacing all ignition coils. I have had the oil changed regularly.

Are there any other things which i should expect to be repaired ? I plan to put maybe another 50K on it. I am more concerned about items outside the regular maintenance like oil/tires/brakes..

This is my first BMW and would like to avoid any unexpected failures. I am working in Japan as an expat and use it car for my daily driver plus adventures so want to make sure that i am on top of any repairs/maintenance.

Would appreciate any feedback ! Thanks.
You also might want to visit babybmw.net. It has more posts specific to the 116i.

https://www.babybmw.net/viewforum.ph...68ee233bce802d
      03-11-2020, 06:37 AM   #6
icestorm
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
You also might want to visit babybmw.net. It has more posts specific to the 116i.

https://www.babybmw.net/viewforum.ph...68ee233bce802d
Thx for the suggestion. I posted on that forum also.

This car seems to be more popular in Europe especially England. I don't think if it is even sold in US.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #7
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

The N13 is basically a RWD application of the R56 Cooper S engine, made by PSA so a lot of the issues carry over. They don't superknock as often though.
- Rear flange/thermostat housing leaks
- Turbo oil feed line leaks at connection to turbo
- Turbo coolant lines leak at connections to turbo
- Coolant leaks from the cylinder head bung (oring worn/perished)
- Water pump leaks
- Water pump pulley wears
- Oil leak at the oil pump solenoid valve
- Transmission cooler lines at connection to transmission leaks
Appreciate 0