BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2020, 02:10 PM   #1
DMTMD
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Sony XAV-8000 Install

Hey fellow 1ers,

Lurked on this forum for a while now. Acquired a 2008 128i manual, no nav, with msport package in March of this year. Had a modded 96’ Miata before this and must say that this 128i keeps all the fun and adds comfort and convenience. I decided to add Android auto/ Apple Carplay to this car to try it out. Ordered from Sonic electronix because they had a sale and threw in a free back up camera. I went this way because I wanted Android auto, and dislike the way the double DIN installs move the screen so low and relocate the heated seat buttons. Joying wasn't for me as I wasn't sure I was smart enough to figure it out and I wanted to try something different. Someone else here did a pioneer 3500nex, which is what inspired me. I think this is like a cross between the joying and that install, with a conventional radio unit.

Parts:
Install:
This went pretty smoothly. Took a half day to do. Others on this thread and YouTube have plenty of advice on how to do this. The harness was great. Just match the wires and soldered. One note is that you need to connect the blue remote out wires as there's amp in the car that needs the on signal. The yellow permanent power line came with a fuse like end that I plugged into one of the constant powered outlets in the fuse box (https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ash+cam+wiring ). Haven't noticed any unusual battery draw with normal use (drive the car 5 days a week). The harness took care of the rest. I used double sided tape to keep the chime speaker from rattling. Of note, the new radio does not install with screws as all as it relies on the vehicle to have a frame, which ours do not. I just used some Sugru and haven't had any problems. The screen height and tilt is adjustable, so I made sure it didn't block the AC controls or vents.

Review:
Works great, imo. It's very easily within reach and the voice controls after awesome. You do have to plug in via USB for Carplay/AA, but no biggie imo. There are wireless work around out there but haven't gotten there. All the steering wheel controls week except the phone one, which sometimes works. Recirc works. I did get an error because SOS no longer works, but I don't care about that. Just a note, the screen resolution is 800x600, which u can tell on boot up. But the rest of the time, doesn't bother me. You might be able to do more with the joying units, but this works for me and was relatively idiot proof.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-08-2020, 01:54 AM   #2
Jarninho
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i E82

Looks neat.
Just registered cause on Saturday I bought a 125i (Euro version of the 128i) and I also come off of a Miata (90). Also done to keep the fun and add comfort
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
jareddlc
Rep
Drives: NA

Nice! I got the xav 5000 afew months ago. I was bothered by the SOS light and It took me some time to figure it out. Most solutions say to check the MOST network, such as optic loops etc, which i had tried and failed. I found some documentation saying the radio headunit is the MOST signal generator, so without the headunit, you cannot "bypass" the MOST network. However I was able to code it out using the android app "bimmercode" see my post here: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1670024 i disabled the two features and sos is gone. very easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #4
DMTMD
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareddlc View Post
Nice! I got the xav 5000 afew months ago. I was bothered by the SOS light and It took me some time to figure it out. Most solutions say to check the MOST network, such as optic loops etc, which i had tried and failed. I found some documentation saying the radio headunit is the MOST signal generator, so without the headunit, you cannot "bypass" the MOST network. However I was able to code it out using the android app "bimmercode" see my post here: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1670024 i disabled the two features and sos is gone. very easy to do.
Thanks! I'll try this.
Appreciate 0