BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
Kikster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011- 128i

Customizing Your Shift Knob

This may seem like a dumb question to you guys but has anyone tried to change the automatic shifter on a BMW for a Manual Style shifter?

I'm in the typical situation of "Work with what you got" I got an Automatic BMW not for lack of trying but where I live (US-Protectorate Island) BMW is even more of a Premium Brand than in mainland USA so they don't really sell many Manual BMW's here, it's not a brand for enthusiasts, so I got a manual 128i because it's the lightest one, no sunroof, no power seats and NA, I already have a tune and exhaust work on the way, will probably get 260hp.

I don't dislike the automatic shifter but it's not customizable to my liking, I'm wishing I could just slap on a Manual Flossy Shifter (look them up, they look awesome) and be done but the BMW A/T mechanism is a little trickier that that.

Please share your thoughts, I don't think I'm alone in wanting a cooler shift knob.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 11:20 PM   #2
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

I know there's an automatic shift knob from BMW Performance. It's got a more aggressive look than the stock, I believe getbmwparts has it in stock. If you check out the Rocket Bunny 135i thread, there's a custom shift knob installed. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 11:25 PM   #3
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecaf View Post
I know there's an automatic shift knob from BMW Performance. It's got a more aggressive look than the stock, I believe getbmwparts has it in stock. If you check out the Rocket Bunny 135i thread, there's a custom shift knob installed. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.
Part number 25162153758

I have one on my AT 135i, it's far from manual type of shifter. It's actually wider than the OE knob. It also has some Alcantara leather on it and feels great in your hand.
Again, not "custom" but good alternative to the stock knob.
Appreciate 0