BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
trunneltabasco
Rep
Drives: 328i

55 Point Inspection special worth it?

Hello,

My local dealership is offering a 55 point inspection with a complimentary 1 year road side assistance. Assuming I won't let them fix any faults they find, do you think $59.95 + tax is worth it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
anglocanadian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Edition

I had one done for my wife's Mini when we bought it , they found the front brakes were worn and tripped the brake warning light . (it wasn't on before it went in) everything thing else was fine they said.
Within a mouth we had to change the fuel pump and battery
We also got a flat run flat but I cant Criticize them for that ....
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

YES

Yes its worth it. So far I've hadn't had any problems. I do most general maintenance myself, an indy garage does some work. It's always nice to have that 2nd opinion on what may need fixing. Dealer said my serpentine belt was running off its pulley. Yes it is, slightly. I bought the kit to replace but its not urgent. Also that 1 year free road side assistance is also so nice to have.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
acoustix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i/1M Conversion, MK7 GTI

From past experiences it really depends on which dealership you go too. I have had issues with budds bmw when it came to their inspections.

There have been times where they have done damage to my car under service that wasn't on their inspection sheet and then they would claim that it's easy to miss, yet I was able to spot it right away.

So really, if they are doing this 55 point inspection how closely are they really looking at things?

At the end of the day I believe if you go to a reputable dealer, whose techs take pride in their work then it's worth it. Other than that take it to an Indy shop who specializes in bmw.
      03-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
mrexcuse
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tiguan, M2 Comp, 330 Touring

Trying this out at Pfaff BMW in a few weeks will update the page here for future. Mainly doing it for roadside assistance and a second opinion check as mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrexcuse View Post
Trying this out at Pfaff BMW in a few weeks will update the page here for future. Mainly doing it for roadside assistance and a second opinion check as mentioned above.
I bet their road side assistance will only tow you to a BMW dealership and not an independent shop. If need a tow whatever the reason is likely going to cost you a lot more to fix at the stealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 01:47 AM   #7
trunneltabasco
Rep

For the people who had it completed, did they give you a list with everything checked or they just told you any problems they found?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
anglocanadian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Edition

I never got a check list.
As for the roadside assistance I have all my cars covered by the CAA regardless.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 10:07 PM   #9
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Ottos BMW Ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmid View Post
For the people who had it completed, did they give you a list with everything checked or they just told you any problems they found?
Yes, a very detailed list with colour coded (red, yellow, green) items some of which had measurements written down (ie: tread depth, brake lining thickness, battery load test, antifreeze temp, heat temp, AC temp.). This 1 pager plus the standard "work order" form detailing the problems or weaknesses found. PLUS other sheets detailing the cost to repair what they found. Like I said above, the mechanic found the serpentine belt starting to walk off the pulley. I'm keeping an eye on it-I have the parts to fix, it's not a difficult DIY.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
trunneltabasco
Rep

Great. I'll ask the "service advisor" if I will get a checklist and get it done if they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Yes, a very detailed list with colour coded (red, yellow, green) items some of which had measurements written down (ie: tread depth, brake lining thickness, battery load test, antifreeze temp, heat temp, AC temp.). This 1 pager plus the standard "work order" form detailing the problems or weaknesses found. PLUS other sheets detailing the cost to repair what they found. Like I said above, the mechanic found the serpentine belt starting to walk off the pulley. I'm keeping an eye on it-I have the parts to fix, it's not a difficult DIY.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #11
r2b2
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i xrfive

Was it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrexcuse View Post
I am considering to try this out Pfaff BMW as well. Would you kindly share your experience about it?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
mrexcuse
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tiguan, M2 Comp, 330 Touring

They did the inspection, tell you nothing is wrong and then a few weeks later you get information in the mail about your roadside assistance. I had to ask for a copy of the "inspection" they do. I will probably repeat next spring just to keep the roadside assistance active. Also it is sometimes nice to get a second pair of eyes on the car in case I miss something.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #13
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
The 55 point inspection is useless and so is the road side assistance.

There is another inspection they do, not sure what its called but it cost me $300. WORTH EVERY PENNY (Done mine at ENDRAS BMW) - it encompasses warranty stuff too like paint.

This is the full inspection on everything on the car. They give a complete printout with all the stuff wrong and quotes for everything. I used this list to repair the car my self and what ever they had that was reasonable I had them do it.

The list was accurate (no bullshit), found stuff I would have never found like leaking shifter shaft seal. I totally recommending doing this if you bought a used car or just want a full shake down of your car.
Appreciate 1
DenverBMW239.00