BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #287
bdot
Rep
Drives: 135is (#491)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias747 View Post
Sounds fishy for sure... Hate to be negative, but I am thinking you are going to be disappointed like a lot of us on here.... Let us know how it goes!
Well I just picked up the car. Didn't drive it anymore than from the dealer to my house because it's pouring over here but the initial issue of the revs jumping with the AC on seems to be gone. The slight delay in throttle response is still there, but it is definitely not as bad as before so thats great. Hopefully the car doesn't revert back to its old ways a few months from now.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 10:14 PM   #288
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Can anyone with a BMW service background confirm if the details below are what you would see when performing the SIB 12 15 14 update?

See Images.

The previous owner had this job done on July 14, 2015 in Ontario.

Would any of the following details confirm that I had the latest DME update?
1. Diagcode D1214 B0000000 90 212
2. Programing with ISTA/P

My tech said that the "D1214" part confirms it was updated with the SIB 12 15 14. I was looking to get a second opinion from anyone who is more familiar with the procedure.

I was also thinking these images could be a good resource for anyone who is looking to see if the work was done by another owner.

Any help is much appreciated.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 11:55 PM   #289
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
Can anyone with a BMW service background confirm if the details below are what you would see when performing the SIB 12 15 14 update?

See Images.

The previous owner had this job done on July 14, 2015 in Ontario.

Would any of the following details confirm that I had the latest DME update?
1. Diagcode D1214 B0000000 90 212
2. Programing with ISTA/P

My tech said that the "D1214" part confirms it was updated with the SIB 12 15 14. I was looking to get a second opinion from anyone who is more familiar with the procedure.

I was also thinking these images could be a good resource for anyone who is looking to see if the work was done by another owner.

Any help is much appreciated.

Maybe Downeaster1 can help. He is a member who is also a BMW tech and has been very helpful in the past.
      10-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #290
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Hey, thanks! So that repair is worded really awkwardly. A "DIAGCODE" is a warranty term that identifies a particular issue. You don't look up symptoms by a DIAGCODE; you search by either affected bulletins or symptoms. The repair will then be followed with a DIAGCODE that will tell the warranty administrator how much to pay the technician. I don't recall what specifically the bulletin is that requires an update, but what it does essentially is reprogram the DME and EKP to accept a higher fuel pressure and increase the idle RPM by 82rpm's. This, in turn, will correct weird idle issues.

It's unlikely that you will gain any sort of performance gain from this, as fuel pressure and idle are the only internal variables that are changed. I've personally confirmed this by viewing raw data between pre-updated and post-updated DME's.

Additionally, there is some talk as to whether the PPK software could have been "accidentally" downloaded to a DME. What happens when a customer requests a flash of the Performance Power Kit, is the dealership will send a request and a repair order number to BMWNA stating they have a customer who wants a PPK downloaded. This request is put through to parts department and is confirmed by teliservices. The requested car's VIN is added to the master list, and in return is sent back an FSC code. This FSC code follows a specific algorithm that is based on the check digit in the VIN and the last 3 numbers. The FSC code is then entered into the dealerships ISTA/P in order to code the vehicle properly. Upon completion, the Vehicle Order (commonly refered to as the "VO" contains an addition to the top saying that the PPK has been downloaded and authenticated. Due to the complexity of this whole process, it's impossible to add the PPK by accident.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #291
alias747
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M-Sport

Hey Downeaster, do you have any "inside information" about this throttle lag situation? The newest DME flash didn't fix my issues. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
Hey, thanks! So that repair is worded really awkwardly. A "DIAGCODE" is a warranty term that identifies a particular issue. You don't look up symptoms by a DIAGCODE; you search by either affected bulletins or symptoms. The repair will then be followed with a DIAGCODE that will tell the warranty administrator how much to pay the technician. I don't recall what specifically the bulletin is that requires an update, but what it does essentially is reprogram the DME and EKP to accept a higher fuel pressure and increase the idle RPM by 82rpm's. This, in turn, will correct weird idle issues.

It's unlikely that you will gain any sort of performance gain from this, as fuel pressure and idle are the only internal variables that are changed. I've personally confirmed this by viewing raw data between pre-updated and post-updated DME's.

Additionally, there is some talk as to whether the PPK software could have been "accidentally" downloaded to a DME. What happens when a customer requests a flash of the Performance Power Kit, is the dealership will send a request and a repair order number to BMWNA stating they have a customer who wants a PPK downloaded. This request is put through to parts department and is confirmed by teliservices. The requested car's VIN is added to the master list, and in return is sent back an FSC code. This FSC code follows a specific algorithm that is based on the check digit in the VIN and the last 3 numbers. The FSC code is then entered into the dealerships ISTA/P in order to code the vehicle properly. Upon completion, the Vehicle Order (commonly refered to as the "VO" contains an addition to the top saying that the PPK has been downloaded and authenticated. Due to the complexity of this whole process, it's impossible to add the PPK by accident.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #292
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Downeaster, do you have any "inside information" about this throttle lag situation? The newest DME flash didn't fix my issues. Thanks.
DCT or Automatic?
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #293
alias747
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M-Sport

DCT

Quote:
DCT or Automatic?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:43 PM   #294
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
DCT
Due to the inherent design of the dual clutch transmission in these particular vehicles, there is a "neutral safety gap" programmed into them by default and cannot be coded out with factory equipment. There are, however, other options. The only way I know of is by manually editing the variable operating parameters of the neutral safety point and closing the gap between neutral and engagement. I've been working on this for some time, but as my car is a manual, real-world testing is hard to achieve. There is an Alpina flash for a few transmissions and I've heard that it corrects a few lag issues, however I can't confirm this as I've never tried it.
135is #502 of 586
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #295
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
...There is an Alpina flash for a few transmissions and I've heard that it corrects a few lag issues, however I can't confirm this as I've never tried it.
The Alpina flash is only for ZF autos... Not the DCT trans.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #296
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The Alpina flash is only for ZF autos... Not the DCT trans.
That's what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation.
135is #502 of 586
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 06:40 AM   #297
pushculture
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT M-Sport

Throttle Adaptation Reset?

I have the same throttle lag issues as everyone else. There seems to agreement that right after the throttle adaptation is reset by the service tech, throttle response is quite good -- until it re-adapts.

I understand that it's possible to reset throttle adaptations with a Bavarian Technic cable and their software. Perhaps doing this as needed is a workaround?

Before I spend the $$$, I'm wondering if anyone has tried this approach with the DCT? Which specific adaptation resets would we want to apply, and in what order? Would it be a bad for the car to keep resetting these adaptations every few hundred miles?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #298
Detroit1er
Moonlighting Motorcyclist
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Lurking long time - never needed to post, just search and follow M2 development - here goes nothing...

2012 135i stock. Purchased CPO with 35k miles. Had this issue from day one despite the update being a condition of the sale. Forward a few months, first oil change happened to coincide with my gauge cluster freaking out (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158660). Spoke with my SA about doing the oil change, addressing the cluster freak out and actually updating the DME. Provided the SIB and I was told it would be done.

Picked it up with nothing on my docs about the update. Explanation: my SA stated that the DME has to be updated when the RDC is replaced. Based on what I've read, the RDC doesn't seem to require a DME update - but that's why I'm here.

Forward another 6 months: The car is back to square one - throttle lag, surging at stops, almost stalling occassionally - so it seems I'm another one in the "yeah it's fixed" but really they just reset the throttle adaptations.

Does anyone know if it's accurate that the DME must be updated when the RDC is replaced? I'd like to be able to ask why the update was not performed and why I was told something that is not true.
      11-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #299
turbo v6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i N55, 230i

I got the SIB 12 15 14 update a while back. Still having surging rpm at stops. No more idle drops to nearly stall.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #300
Venoml2k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

is there a way that we can adjust our engine rpm directly? manually or electronically?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #301
EL937
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral Grey M2, 6MT

Tried a quick search and couldn't easily find an answer... is there a way to completely just disable the adaptive transmission on the DCT? I'm starting to wonder if that is the true problem and not necessarily the DCT... Maybe the DCT just doesn't react well to "learning" how I drive. Every time the dealer has hard reset the adaptive transmission the car drives flawlessly then gets progressively worse over time. I thought SIB 12 15 14 was the fix but am starting to wonder if it was the adaptive transmission reset they did that really made me feel the difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #302
turbo v6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i N55, 230i

Newer update than 12 15 14?

Just checking to see if there is a newer update than 12 15 14? Still having surging to 1000 rpm at stops.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 04:56 AM   #303
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

My car is in at the moment (UK 335i dct). I showed the service guy the SIB and he said I had got that from an American forum and we don't do forum work...
Haven't managed to specifically find one for UK e92's, only this thread.
Car is in for the day so will see if he finds the UK equivalent, if there is such a thing. Lag is not enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #304
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
So I just got my .'11 135i a few weeks ago. Incredibly, I found the previous owners maint. receipts in the glove box. It shows it had the SIB 12-15-14 done previously under warranty. Apparently she complained about the idle problem with the AC on and they did the update.The idle is solid with the AC on or off. No stalling or near stalling.

I don't seem to have any popps and gurgles tho. To be honest its pretty quiet inside the cabin.

The only thing it does have is a bit of throttle tip in lag at stop lights, + the rolling slow then on-the-gas lag (i.e. doesn't like doing CA stops). It is better with the sport button on.

It would be great if there was a way to turn off the adaptation learning. My old E60 had silly learning issues also (different sort but there none the less). I don't really see any advantage to the learning. Its an odd concept... We as humans learn or adapt to things. So if the car drives a certain way we adapt to it. If it needs X about of throttle at a light to get going we learn how much and give it that much. Instead, the car is trying to learn for us so it is adapting to our inputs and our natural tendency to learn and adapt is then screwed up b/c the car isn't working the same way all the time.

For example, maybe I need to slowly get on the gas to ease forward a bit to see better before I go. Next light I need to go a bit quicker to get in front of someone. Two different situations and our own actions adapt to it. If the car is trying to adapt well...

Wonder if a coder could figure out how to turn it off permanently.
      12-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #305
elzorro4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
So I just got my .'11 135i a few weeks ago. Incredibly, I found the previous owners maint. receipts in the glove box. It shows it had the SIB 12-15-14 done previously under warranty.
Can you please scan this receipt? I went to bmw 4 times for this update and they tell me there is no such thing...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #306
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elzorro4
Quote:
So I just got my .'11 135i a few weeks ago. Incredibly, I found the previous owners maint. receipts in the glove box. It shows it had the SIB 12-15-14 done previously under warranty.
Can you please scan this receipt? I went to bmw 4 times for this update and they tell me there is no such thing...

Thanks
Yes sir. I can do that for you. I'll try to scan it in tomorrow.
      12-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #307
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elzorro4
Quote:

Thanks
You have a PM.
      01-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #308
rudyv1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

It seems as those this new Tool can reset Adaptations:
https://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_M...oot/ES2975699/

There is a PDF manual that can be downloaded under the "installation" tab

Any reviews on this would be great. Resetting the dreaded Throttle Adaptation would be very welcomed.
Appreciate 0