BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
propellerfan
New Member
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2006

iTrader: (0)

BMW 2-series engine lineup speculation

Ok here's my very unscientific prediction of what engines the 2 series coupe will get:

228i - gets the same engine as the e92 328i
230i/235i - gets the same twin turbo engine as e92 335i
M2 - S54 M3 engine (engine from e46 M3)

I basically just took the 3-series e90/e92 lineup and made the 2-series lineup mirror it (except for the M2 engine) so I'm probably wrong in some cases. :biggrin:
There's gotta be a cheaper option than what I'm guessing too.


Anyways, everyone take your guesses and when the actual lineup is released we can look back and see who was right :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
Will L.
Private First Class
Will L.'s Avatar
1
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: 2003 Z4
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2001 Ducati 750 Sport  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerfan
Ok here's my very unscientific prediction of what engines the 2 series coupe will get:

228i - gets the same engine as the e92 328i
230i/235i - gets the same twin turbo engine as e92 335i
M2 - S54 M3 engine (engine from e46 M3)

I basically just took the 3-series e90/e92 lineup and made the 2-series lineup mirror it (except for the M2 engine) so I'm probably wrong in some cases. :biggrin:
There's gotta be a cheaper option than what I'm guessing too.


Anyways, everyone take your guesses and when the actual lineup is released we can look back and see who was right :biggrin:
I'd love to see a range like that, but I have a feeling it might be shifted down a bit.

I wonder if the twin turbo engine from the 335i would actually be the M engine in this car. From what I know of that engine so far, I really love it (and the S54 is a bit of a gas hog).

If they do go with that range, I think I might opt for the twin turbo over the M.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
bmwfreak's Avatar
19
Rep
215
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2005

iTrader: (0)

Sounds good except for the 235i, I wonder if they will put a 300hp standard engine in the car bewcause what would the M2 offer? I'd think the S54 would be a good M engine for this car, in that case mayubee the top car in the standard range should house the 3.0l non-tubo engines at 265hp
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
Advevo
Major
265
Rep
1,070
Posts

Drives: M2, E30 M3 DTM
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Country where the taxes are too high!!

iTrader: (0)

M should always be non turbo.

3.5 twin turbo doesn t belong into the one /two series.

I would do it like this.

230di with 272 hp.
M2 with 320hp 6cil lightweight engine with 8250 rpm.

340hp m2 csl.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
193
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: Z3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BMW HQ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyhoov
I'd love to see a range like that, but I have a feeling it might be shifted down a bit.

I wonder if the twin turbo engine from the 335i would actually be the M engine in this car. From what I know of that engine so far, I really love it (and the S54 is a bit of a gas hog).

If they do go with that range, I think I might opt for the twin turbo over the M.
Either way you couldn't wrong with either the new twin-turbo engine or the S54 M-engine ! It'll definitely be interesting to see what develops for the twin turbo engine. Hopefully if the 2er indeed gets the turbo engine, by that time we'll see what kind of potential aftermarket upgrades this engine can take.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
193
Rep
504
Posts

Drives: Z3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BMW HQ

iTrader: (0)

This is what I posted in another thread, source for the info is someone who has been fairly accurate on BMW plans in the past:


Whilst Europe are expecting a range of engines similar to the 1er the US markets will receive a 223i and a 235i.

The Baby ///M car when it arrives will use an engine developed from the WTCC car only with six cylinders and close to over 300 BHP.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 07:41 AM   #7
Will L.
Private First Class
Will L.'s Avatar
1
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: 2003 Z4
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2001 Ducati 750 Sport  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [0.00]
As long as at least one variation has 250+ HP, I think I can live with that in a small, tight, rear wheel drive coupe.

Any ideas on weight? Can we expect the coupe design to shave a few pounds off the 5 door 1-series? I'd like to see it come in under 3000 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 08:55 PM   #8
Galligan
Private
12
Rep
52
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyhoov
As long as at least one variation has 250+ HP, I think I can live with that in a small, tight, rear wheel drive coupe.

Any ideas on weight? Can we expect the coupe design to shave a few pounds off the 5 door 1-series? I'd like to see it come in under 3000 lbs.
3000lb and under would be teriffic with the new bmw engines and i'm guessing they'll definitely have a 250+ hp one. I'm thinking BMW will try to make this a nice little handler and if they price it right it should steal some sales from those ppl that would be looking at a sporty small car like civic, golfs, etc.. who would like to own the BMW marquee.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2006, 10:49 PM   #9
spudw
Major
spudw's Avatar
Canada
60
Rep
1,306
Posts

Drives: 2009 128i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

My take would be a little different. My sense it BMW will come out with a model range mimicking the 3ers, 220i: 185 bhp, 225i: 215 bhp and 230i M sport: 265 bhp.

It wouldn't even surprise me if they went down a notch and put the new 4 turbo from the Mini Cooper S (180 bhp) into an affordable base model.

Let's not forget, they need to keep prices in check with the 3-series.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
27
Rep
218
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2006

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to bryan@mwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest
My take would be a little different. My sense it BMW will come out with a model range mimicking the 3ers, 220i: 185 bhp, 225i: 215 bhp and 230i M sport: 265 bhp.

It wouldn't even surprise me if they went down a notch and put the new 4 turbo from the Mini Cooper S (180 bhp) into an affordable base model.

Let's not forget, they need to keep prices in check with the 3-series.
Your speculation sounds pretty close to rumors I've heard from folks at BMW. My guess for the American market (and most likely Canada as well) is this:

125i- 3.0-liter "standard" N52 engine from 325i- 215 hp, base trim or optional sport package.

130i- 3.0-liter high-output N52 engine from 330i- 265 hp, probably available only in M Sport trim (18" wheels, body kit, sport seats).

I wouldn't expect to see the N54 (twin-turbo) motor in a 1 Series, at least not from BMW directly. No doubt one will find its way in there soon enough! Also, we won't see any more 4-cylinder cars from BMW in North America, even with turbocharging.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #11
hector
Captain
24
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: 2007 e92 335i, 2008 128i cpe.
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: virgo supercluster bwo Pennsylvania.

iTrader: (0)

[quote=bryan@mwerks]

I wouldn't expect to see the N54 (twin-turbo) motor in a 1 Series, at least not from BMW directly. quote]

worldcarfans.com is showing today what they say are spy photos of a 135ti. hope it's true!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #12
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
27
Rep
218
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2006

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to bryan@mwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by hector
worldcarfans.com is showing today what they say are spy photos of a 135ti. hope it's true!
Well, I'll be damned!:iono:

The telling bit is this picture:


It shows what looks to be a front-and-center intercooler, just like the 335i:



That would certainly make one hell of an M car!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
Will L.
Private First Class
Will L.'s Avatar
1
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: 2003 Z4
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2001 Ducati 750 Sport  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks
Well, I'll be damned!:iono:

The telling bit is this picture:


It shows what looks to be a front-and-center intercooler, just like the 335i:



That would certainly make one hell of an M car!
Yep, I remember some speculation about the intercooler on a mule 3 series (or was it a 5 series?) prior to the official announcement on the turbo and that speculation seemed to be correct.

Bring it on! I love that engine. Not quite as powerful as the M engine, but also not as much of a gas hog and lighter (I think - though I'd love to get any actual weight values from anyone who knows).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
bmwfreak's Avatar
19
Rep
215
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2005

iTrader: (0)

Dang. the 3.0 turbo in this little car, now we are talking
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #15
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
27
Rep
218
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2006

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to bryan@mwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyhoov
Yep, I remember some speculation about the intercooler on a mule 3 series (or was it a 5 series?) prior to the official announcement on the turbo and that speculation seemed to be correct.

Bring it on! I love that engine. Not quite as powerful as the M engine, but also not as much of a gas hog and lighter (I think - though I'd love to get any actual weight values from anyone who knows).
The N54 (turbo) engine weighs 419 lbs complete, compared to 357 lbs for the N52 engine, which in turn is 22 lbs lighter than the M52 engine it replaced. So despite its lightweight intentions, it's still heavier than the old 3 Series six by about 40lbs.

Remember that 300 hp/300 lb-ft is stock. I'm sure it will only be a simple matter of a chip to take that to 330-350 horsepower. BMW showed a Z4 Racer with a 400 hp/400 lb-ft version at Geneva earlier this year.

__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #16
Will L.
Private First Class
Will L.'s Avatar
1
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: 2003 Z4
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2001 Ducati 750 Sport  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks
The N54 (turbo) engine weighs 419 lbs complete, compared to 357 lbs for the N52 engine, which in turn is 22 lbs lighter than the M52 engine it replaced. So despite its lightweight intentions, it's still heavier than the old 3 Series six by about 40lbs.

Remember that 300 hp/300 lb-ft is stock. I'm sure it will only be a simple matter of a chip to take that to 330-350 horsepower. BMW showed a Z4 Racer with a 400 hp/400 lb-ft version at Geneva earlier this year.
Interesting. Thanks for the info!:w00t: I'm a little confused though. Could you match the engine numbers with the cars?

Any idea what the weight of the new V-8 going into the M3 will be? There's something about a V-8 going in an M3 that rubs me the wrong way, but I guess if they can keep the weight down, it should be okay.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #17
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
27
Rep
218
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2006

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to bryan@mwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyhoov
Interesting. Thanks for the info!:w00t: I'm a little confused though. Could you match the engine numbers with the cars?
N54- 3.0-liter turbo six in new E92 335i Coupe

N52- 3.0-liter n/a six in E90 325i/330i sedans and wagons, E92 328i coupe, and current 130i

M52- 2.5- to 3.0-liter n/a straight six in E46 3 Series, X5, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyhoov
Any idea what the weight of the new V-8 going into the M3 will be? There's something about a V-8 going in an M3 that rubs me the wrong way, but I guess if they can keep the weight down, it should be okay.
As I understand it, the M3 V8 will be a cut-down version of the M5 V10. High-revving, lightweight, bedplate block design, etc. 400 horsepower is the expected output. The V10 weighs about 528 pounds, so the V8 should come in less than that, probably by about 50 pounds or so. Still a little more than the 6-cylinder turbo.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #18
Will L.
Private First Class
Will L.'s Avatar
1
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: 2003 Z4
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2001 Ducati 750 Sport  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [0.00]
Cool! Thanks! Now if you're not sick of answering questions yet, do you have a weight for the engine in the E46 M3 and current M coupe? I think I've heard that it's got a steel block to withstand the stress, so I'm assuming it's heavier than the N52 (unless they've been able to save weight in other ways.

I'm hoping the 1 (or 2) series will be fairly light weight, so I might be willing to give up some power to keep weight down. From the numbers you've posted, it seems like the N52 is the lightest option. I could probably live with 255/265 HP if they could keep the weight under 3000 lbs. I got real excited when I saw that low weight coupe experiment. I'm hoping they'll incorporate some weigh saving techniques in this model.

I love the carbon fiber roofs on the M6 and (rumored) M3. Those kind of innovations are more "BMW" to me than just adding more and more HP.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2006, 09:15 PM   #19
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
289
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2006

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks
The N54 (turbo) engine weighs 419 lbs complete, compared to 357 lbs for the N52 engine, which in turn is 22 lbs lighter than the M52 engine it replaced. So despite its lightweight intentions, it's still heavier than the old 3 Series six by about 40lbs.

Remember that 300 hp/300 lb-ft is stock. I'm sure it will only be a simple matter of a chip to take that to 330-350 horsepower. BMW showed a Z4 Racer with a 400 hp/400 lb-ft version at Geneva earlier this year.

Do you mean to say that the Z4 coupe racer has the N54? I thought it was powered by a modded S54....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #20
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
27
Rep
218
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2006

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to bryan@mwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX
Do you mean to say that the Z4 coupe racer has the N54? I thought it was powered by a modded S54....
You're right. I just went back and checked. I thought sure I had read that it was the new turbo engine. My mistake.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #21
BEE-EM-VAY
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2006

iTrader: (0)

i think the engine line up looks right. remember the 1/2 series is aiming right at the audi A3 which produces 200hp.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #22
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
bmwfreak's Avatar
19
Rep
215
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2005

iTrader: (0)

WHen BMW puts the new N54 TT engine into the 1 series it will basicly trounce the sector, its basicly an M level engine in a non M car, hopefully BMW brings the engine to the car sooner rather then later so it has ample time to set its mark
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST