BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #1
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

New VRSF charge pipe and a question...

So I just installed my new VRSF charge pipe.
The install went fairly well. I had heard the VRSF silicone sleeve was a real pain in the dick, so I used some silicone sex lube (no kidding) on the inside of the silicone sleeve and that thing slid around on the other parts like a greased monkey.

So my question is this:

I took it for a test drive, and now it seems to be running rich. I say that because in low gear (1st or 2nd) at low RPM, if i just quickly tap the pedal, I get a full-on backfire. The normal rumbling burbles and pops from the old PPK are there in full force, but this is a new phenomenon - a predictable, on-demand backfire with just a super-fast tap of the throttle.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Oh, and it sometimes wants to stall out at idle and now idles at 650 rpm, where it used to be more like 750.

Will it have to re-learn its throttle mapping and air flow and this may go away?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Take it apart and clean that grease shit off everything.
You'll regret not doing this later.

oh, and boost leak.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Take it apart and clean that grease shit off everything.
You'll regret not doing this later.

oh, and boost leak.
The lube I used won't interfere or get in the system - it was a very thin layer, and was on the edge of the inside of the sleeve, therefore outside the pipes it was connected to.
Besides, there was a fair amount of blowby oil in the pipes, which I cleaned as best I could, but was still 100 times more than the small amount of silicone lube I used (it doesn't take much).

Can you elaborate on what makes this seem like a boost leak? That doesn't seem like it would cause backfiring to me (maybe it does, but I just need an explanation why).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #4
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
The lube I used won't interfere or get in the system - it was a very thin layer, and was on the edge of the inside of the sleeve, therefore outside the pipes it was connected to.
Besides, there was a fair amount of blowby oil in the pipes, which I cleaned as best I could, but was still 100 times more than the small amount of silicone lube I used (it doesn't take much).

Can you elaborate on what makes this seem like a boost leak? That doesn't seem like it would cause backfiring to me (maybe it does, but I just need an explanation why).
He’s saying to clean off the lube because it could potentially cause the coupler to slip off under boost. You want more friction in there, not less. An old trick is to use hair spray on silicone couplers to create a more secure connection.

Also the charge pipe shouldn’t make the car run any differently, that is why there might be a boost leak.
Appreciate 1
Cavpilot2k1022.00
      08-07-2018, 06:05 AM   #5
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Okay, that makes sense in the coupling.

I'm going to try resetting the throttle adaptation this morning and see if that gets rid of the rich AFR.

I'd like to get some video of the backfire. It's all on the exhaust end, not in the engine as far as I can tell. I'd guess it's shooting fire when it does it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
SamelCamel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

I had similar issues. I think it may be caused from unplugging the sensors that are a part of the installation. It will smooth out after a day or two. Mine did.

-Sam
Appreciate 1
Cavpilot2k1022.00
      08-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamelCamel View Post
I had similar issues. I think it may be caused from unplugging the sensors that are a part of the installation. It will smooth out after a day or two. Mine did.

-Sam
Yeah, I reset the throttle adaptation and it already seems to be smoothing out on my commute today.
My guess is it may have done some maladaptation in the few miles I drove it after the pipe blew - surely that messed with the sensors and the F/A Ratio.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Yeah, I reset the throttle adaptation and it already seems to be smoothing out on my commute today.
My guess is it may have done some maladaptation in the few miles I drove it after the pipe blew - surely that messed with the sensors and the F/A Ratio.
Even resetting the adaptation of the throttle can cause some issues. It will take some time to smooth out after it for sure.
Appreciate 1
Cavpilot2k1022.00
      08-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #9
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Even resetting the adaptation of the throttle can cause some issues. It will take some time to smooth out after it for sure.
Yeah, it's mostly smoothed out now. I do get a hair of lag at times. I will check it for leaks and tighten everything up again this weekend.

I have noticed an unexpected increase in exhaust overrun sounds.
Appreciate 0