BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #67
beau@performanceshockinc
Rep
Drives: Ralt RT41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
OK, now I'm confused.

My understanding was that Ohlins "Road and Track" was very different than the motorsports based products. Per Ohlins own website and what I'd gathered, I'd thought that R&T were:

1. Single adjustable ("Damping rate on the R&T units is fully adjustable and ties compression and rebound together as a matched setting")
http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/...hlins-concept/

2. Use this "Dual Flow Valve" system ("The new Öhlins R&T range uses DFV technology on every single fitment"). http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/en/the-technology/
The DFV pics in the link look a lot like a regular shim stack, etc, but with the added orange bit designed to increase the digression at high shock speeds?

3. Less expensive and designed for street use. They are street legal, tuned for more comfort on the way to the track, and do not need rebuilds as often.

4. Lower performance: given that they are single adjustable, probably have higher seal friction to enable the longer time between rebuilds, etc, I assume they can't match a motorsports based kit. They come with springs they are matched to, so you can't select and tune your own spring rates.

All of which adds up to something that like shock for the E90 BMW 3 series in this PDF:

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/...3-series_2.pdf

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/en/product-range/

So I thought I'd understood... Then I saw these, also listed as "Road and Track" for the GT3 RS:

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/...he_gt3rs_1.pdf

That's obviously the motorsports based shock. It says double adjustable, etc. But it's sold as "Road and Track"...

So what's the deal? Is "Road and Track" just a marketing name, or are there actual difference on those TTXs that make them need rebuilds less often, etc?

Just as important, what is Ohlins working on for the 1M, one of those TTX based solutions (which I have to assume will be more expensive at least) or something like the other R&T shocks (single adjustable, etc)?

The TTX based solutions that are currently available, is there anything that can be done to make them more "streetable" (primarily meaning longer time between rebuild)? Those systems run around 5k, I'm guessing, if you go for the less adjustable versions?
Yes, it is pretty confusing as the Porsche damper is a TTX unit, essentially a race product. Same goes for the Lotus. Both of those dampers are race products which have been approved by Ohlins Sweden for use on vehicles which will see street use. Only product that has been approved by Ohlins Sweden can truly be classified as a "Road & Track" product. As I understand, the kit that Ohlins USA is working on for the 1M is not TTX based.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #68
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
A friendly bump by including what the Ohlins suspension looks like the new Aventador as seen during the 12 Hrs of Sebring
Attached Images

1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #69
///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
updates?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #70
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

i will have something for you monday.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #71
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n
i will have something for you monday.
New news?
      04-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #72
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Ohlins R&T has further delays and will likely be summer before they are released.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #73
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Ohlins R&T has further delays and will likely be summer before they are released.
yeah, they haven't called which is unusual. they're normally very good at getting back to me, so i called them this morning. they are 90% done with the setup that they will install for my car. at that point, i will start looking for track/autox days, that way i can drive around on them, have a good hard day on them, and report back to them. once that is complete (maybe a few more weeks), than I believe they'll be all ready!

prior to all of this, i will provide you guys pictures during the install, on the shake rig, etc...

very soon guys! thanks for hanging in there...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #74
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
it will still be spring guys...at least from what Jeff told me this morning. they did have a hiccup...nothing major at all. it was just a delay in getting some parts from Sweden.

I will head up there either the week of 23rd or the week of the 30th (of this month), have them installed and tweaked...do an autox/trackday...get a feel for them, report back and do shake rig testing. at that point...i can ask when they can start taking orders, etc. it shouldn't be very much longer...hang in there!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:25 AM   #75
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

will it include standard top mount, or will it use cylindrical springs and camber plates in the front?

I would like to have the option to keep the OEM front top mount plates with the "big" diameter springs
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #76
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Stupid question but is this something that Ohlins (Öhlins) in Sweden can sell locally also? Would be interesting as well I do live in Sweden... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #77
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

lucky dog! from what Ohlins USA is telling me...they are working directly with Ohlins Sweden and reporting the log (shake rig) data for them so that Ohlins Sweden will supply the proper parts for all of Ohlins shops. I think you should be good to go soon as well, but I will need to verify how this all works with Jeff when I talk to him again.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #78
beau@performanceshockinc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
it will still be spring guys...at least from what Jeff told me this morning. they did have a hiccup...nothing major at all. it was just a delay in getting some parts from Sweden.
Just want to make sure that everybody is getting the correct information, again, this 1M kit is NOT a R&T product. There is a R&T kit coming for the E92 and E46 M3, these are the kits that are due towards the end of the summer. These will be single adjustable DFV units. Looking forward to seeing the completed units for your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #79
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau@performanceshockinc View Post
Just want to make sure that everybody is getting the correct information, again, this 1M kit is NOT a R&T product. There is a R&T kit coming for the E92 and E46 M3, these are the kits that are due towards the end of the summer. These will be single adjustable DFV units. Looking forward to seeing the completed units for your car.
correct. it's not as extreme as the TTX product, but this is an agressive track setup for those that want a higher level of performance, without the TTX price tag (which can cause sticker shock for many people first inquiring about them). this will be a remarkable product, and if you're a track enthusiast this is something that you'll want to consider. would you agree beau? Jeff said that you've been talking to them about this project as well, so anything that you have to offer would be helpful. thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #80
beau@performanceshockinc
Rep

It seems that when TTX is mentioned everyone assumes that the price tag is super over the top. The TTX suspension that we built for AE Performance included a 4-way TTX46 front strut and 4-way rear ILX (TTX inline). We decided to build a lower cost version for E92 M3 track enthusiasts, that would offer excellent performance at a reduced cost. We were still able to do this including a TTX rear shock in our kit. As far as the kit that Ohlins is working on for your car, I would say that Ohlins builds a top quality product and I'm sure it will be a great kit. Of course I would consider Ohlins products if I was seeking suspension options for my track car. As far as my conversations with Ohlins USA about this kit, I have only been told of what dampers are being used, I do not have any pricing or kit release dates as of yet. When I have more information, we will be sure to add the product to our website as we are an Ohlins Master WD (motorsport and road & track).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #81
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Would you be able to supply for a RHD? There is pretty much no support for Ohlins here in Australia. I know the weight distribution however is different for LHD and RHD.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #82
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Would you be able to supply for a RHD? There is pretty much no support for Ohlins here in Australia. I know the weight distribution however is different for LHD and RHD.
Yes, the coil overs allow adjustments for corner weight balancing.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #83
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Any news on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #84
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

get them installed next week. and you'll be able to order after the shake rig testing (once they've completed the final R&D). very very soon. Pete is aware of this as well. Call Ohlins USA (in Hendersonville, NC) and speak with Jeff Baucom on the progression of R&D, pricing and ordering status.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #85
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Many thanks! Looking forward to your review.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #86
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

For those of you who are waiting...I should have some updates for you later today (along with some pictures). This is just the initial fitment, but hopefully everything works out and I can give you some initial thoughts from the ride home.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #87
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #88
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Uhhh, yes, I think I need some of those Grime Boss wipes after seeing this....

Look forward to your impressions and moar pics.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0