BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #111
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
0002. I dont suppose you have any more vids? Also I am sure you have stated this before somewhere but would you mind giving me your impressions of the power of the car pre and post SSTT?
No, just the long and short version of this vid. It will pull away from a stock 135i without any issue. It will also pull away from a stock e46 M3...:wink: without any trouble much to the amazement of the M3 driver.

Impression are night and day difference under WOT. The car drives normal under day to day driving. MPG is the same as when stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #112
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
If you ordered from a dealer in Cali, you will not lose your deposit. It's the law.
You are right they can't keep your deposit, but I could lose the administrative fee for ordering the car that would have been discounted from the purchase price.

I'm sure I can fight it if I want because there are limits to signing away your rights in CA and circumventing the consumer protection laws.

If it comes to that, I’ll ask nicely first. That works most of the time.
      06-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #113
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
No, just the long and short version of this vid. It will pull away from a stock 135i without any issue. It will also pull away from a stock e46 M3...:wink: without any trouble much to the amazement of the M3 driver.

Impression are night and day difference under WOT. The car drives normal under day to day driving. MPG is the same as when stock.

Thanks man. I have only driven the 135 in stock form and it was very quick. I cant wait to try out a tuned version.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #114
JuggernautTCW
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDawgs View Post
I'd like to weigh in here...BMW's promise of low end torque was exactly what led me to this car. I test drove the 135 in March & loved it, was very impressed with the low end torque (1st & 2nd gears). Now, obviously the car I drove was a pre March build. After taking delivery on June 5th, I can tell a noticeable difference in the torque in my car below 3000 rpms. Now, don't take my wrong, I still love the car. However, this bait and switch is bs. I went to my dealer today to speak with the sales manager but it was his day off. Rest assured, I will go back tomorrow. I'll let you know what they say.
any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #115
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
My 2 cents...

I have one of the earliest 135i builds on this board, and I just got v29 of the software in an attempt to get the alarm programmed. FYI: It didn't work.

I actually noticed no difference in the car at all, for a second I thought the car was even zippier from 0-3000rpm.

v30 was shipped to all dealers just a few days ago, so I will go back and get the update next week.

:iono:
      06-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #116
zbladejr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Just read all of these posts over breakfast so was intrigued to go out and see what the big deal is on my way to work. My 135i 6MT is a post 3/08 build. With the engine and oil temp low, the car is not as smooth as an NA car....there's definitely a bit of lag/jerkiness beyond 1,400 rpm and below 3-3.5K.

Once she's nice and warmed up though, I have to say that it feels fairly linear, though no doubt that the madness takes place somewhere beyond 3,000 RPM.

So final point; in the parking garage at work, I'm definitely hearing the turbo spooling (at least I hear the turbo whine) below 2,000 RPM. Does that prove that turbo's engage before 3,000? I don't know. But I do know that I had turbo lag from hell on my 86 Saab 900T, needed to get to 3,200 rpm's before any power really delivered. The 135i is absolutely nothing like that old turbo. So, if there is lag, it's not critical, and having been a lag turbo owner in past, I have not even thought of it until reading all the [paranoia] on this post.

To make sure though, I'm meeting up with plien on Monday and we'll compare his with mine (his is pre 3/08 build). Only challenge will be that plien has an auto tranny. We'll see how the revs match for speed though.

Comparo report to come.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #117
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^tracking
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #118
gan08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fatty X5 and Pot-bellied 135

Chris,
How about your 1st and 2nd gear start?
I'm one of earlier built (FEB08) and I do notice the slowness after the SW updated to v29.2 (stated on the dealer work order). Maybe that just my imagination? or warmer weather temp? whatever...

About your alarm, if v30 doesn't fix the issue. You might want to ask your SA to have the regional tech go over your area to apply a special SW update. That will make the alarm work and I've tested it according to the TIS.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #119
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Really??? The use of the word POWER twice confused me....
I see that you were confused. It clearly is due to the fact that you didn't actually read my post. Or maybe you just don't understand the concept of peak horsepower. Again, I never said that peak power was affected, but I guess if you aren't reading closely or don't understand that concept it can be confusing.

And it's fine to say that this is all speculation. That's fair. However, being someone who is considering getting a 135 why would I drop 40k when there's clearly some legitimate speculation that there's a problem? If it was some crazy dude with a picture of a unicorn as his avatar claiming that "BMW stolz me p0w3R" I probably wouldn't let it affect me at all. Yet, there are a lot of people that are whole lot smarter about and more familiar with BMW's than I saying the same thing. It's fine to keep reminding us, but don't expect the issue to go away just because you're not convinced, you don't care, you don't see proof, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #120
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:

If you think the E46 driver is amazed, you should have seen the look I got from a guy and his wife in a brand new (I mean still clean off the lot new) M3 Vert the other night.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #121
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn View Post
I see that you were confused. It clearly is due to the fact that you didn't actually read my post. Or maybe you just don't understand the concept of peak horsepower. Again, I never said that peak power was affected, but I guess if you aren't reading closely or don't understand that concept it can be confusing.

And it's fine to say that this is all speculation. That's fair. However, being someone who is considering getting a 135 why would I drop 40k when there's clearly some legitimate speculation that there's a problem? If it was some crazy dude with a picture of a unicorn as his avatar claiming that "BMW stolz me p0w3R" I probably wouldn't let it affect me at all. Yet, there are a lot of people that are whole lot smarter about and more familiar with BMW's than I saying the same thing. It's fine to keep reminding us, but don't expect the issue to go away just because you're not convinced, you don't care, you don't see proof, etc.
No, I completely understand you mean 1400-3000 rpm HP/TQ. Lag would not effect this HP/TQ amounts. It would effect the time that it started to pull vs. the time that it started to pull before. The 135i doesn't need boost to go. Gas and spark make the pistons go. Unless the v29.2 changes the hp/tq curve and makes it less flat or more peaky in parts all the lag is doing is delaying the start of the boost by seconds. Because we have NO PROOF that v29.2 is changing anything on the HP/TQ curve it's all speculation and butt dynos as to what it's doing. I'm sure it's doing something...just what is the question.

I think that there is "some" lag to 335i with v29.2 Too many people are complaining about it for it to be a few random butt dyno issues. There is no proof that it's bad or good...just different. Now...there is no real proof that the issue even exists with the 135i.

My issue isn't that there is/isn't a real/perceived problem. My issues people are going around all half cocked making statements without any proof which only continues to further along the idea that there is some massive problem. We actually have non owners asking questions about a problem nobody can prove and people making claims that BMW is false advertising their product...ALL WITHOUT PROOF of what really exists and the +/-'s of it.

Reporting an issue is fine. Speculation to get to the bottom of something is fun. Asking for your deposit back threads, posting how you "might" not get one now, and grabbing random threads from other board with engines blowing up due to admitted owner error is not helping.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #122
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
If you think the E46 driver is amazed, you should have seen the look I got from a guy and his wife in a brand new (I mean still clean off the lot new) M3 Vert the other night.
If the M3 is in normal mode and up in a gear it's not that fast in low rpms.

If it's the reverse it's a beast.

It's funny when you catch a fast car off guard...owners look PISSED.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #123
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
If the M3 is in normal mode and up in a gear it's not that fast in low rpms.

If it's the reverse it's a beast.

It's funny when you catch a fast car off guard...owners look PISSED.

I didn't catch him off guard. He was in first gear, and it barked the tires going into 3rd. The Vert is heavy (4k lbs), and it shows.

Edit: I don't mean to say I was walking off from him, just hanging.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #124
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I didn't catch him off guard. He was in first gear, and it barked the tires going into 3rd. The Vert is heavy (4k lbs), and it shows.

Edit: I don't mean to say I was walking off from him, just hanging.
He had to be wondering.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #125
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gan08 View Post
Chris,
I'm one of earlier built (FEB08) and I do notice the slowness after the SW updated to v29.2 (stated on the dealer work order). Maybe that just my imagination? or warmer weather temp? whatever...

About your alarm, if v30 doesn't fix the issue. You might want to ask your SA to have the regional tech go over your area to apply a special SW update. That will make the alarm work and I've tested it according to the TIS.
From what I've read it's not your imagination. The wastgate settings are supposedly different (slower to close/less aggressive) with the newer software. This I can only guess is an attempt by BMW to prevent premature failure of related components. In the short run, people are understandably upset over the loss of throttle response. In the long run this might prevent your car from taking a puke on you, especially after it's out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #126
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gan08 View Post
Chris,

1-> 2nd gear is smooth with no hesitation at all. v30 is hitting the shelves as we speak, so maybe this will fix your issue...and my alarm problem :wink:
      06-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #127
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
From what I've read it's not your imagination. The wastgate settings are supposedly different (slower to close/less aggressive) with the newer software. This I can only guess is an attempt by BMW to prevent premature failure of related components. In the short run, people are understandably upset over the loss of throttle response. In the long run this might prevent your car from taking a puke on you, especially after it's out of warranty.
I am neurotic about everything, and nothing in my car feels different. I actually thought the car pulled harder after I got the v29 update. :iono:

I would like to see a few 1/4 runs, or a few 0-60 runs with the new software.
      06-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #128
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just a note to everyone. Please play nice. No name calling!
      06-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #129
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I am neurotic about everything, and nothing in my car feels different. I actually thought the car pulled harder after I got the v29 update. :iono:

More to the point, a rolling start or 5-60 would be the telling stat, where you're not dumping the clutch at full boost 4000rpm. Or any acceleration tests where the start point puts you somewhere below 2000rpm i.e. 30-70 in 4th or something.

I'm not sure if anyone's speculating whether there's less horse power or torque, as 0002s has been intimating at. The only realy world test would be an in-gear acceleration test between a pre 29.2 and 29.2 as mentioned.

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't give a crap about having a Procede or SSTT for the extra power/torque if their real world overtaking ability is diminished by lag to the extent that the final result i.e. 30-70mph in x secs is exactly the same for a stock pre 29.2 as a v3 29.2.

Who cares if you start pulling away like a train from 90-150 or something stupid like that, unless you're on a track?

Surely there's someone out there, either on this site or e90 who can get access to a Performance/Drift Box or something (or a mate with a stopwatch!) and pre 29.2/29.2 135/335s?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #130
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post

And you're positively certain your car wasn't shipped with 29.2 software? It just seems strange that so many people would complain of the same change in performance behaivior. (But if the car already had the "new" software, the owner wouldn't know any different anyway?:iono
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 04:34 AM   #131
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
The setup isn't the issue. Your reference to that thread isn't a common occurrence with the N54.

The OP's thread is related to v29.2 (he's talking about "lag") not a catastrophic turbo failure. (title of thread kinda gives this away). Relating v29.2 to a over boost turbo failure or debris in intake really doesn't make sense.
I see, I think there was just a misunderstanding.:smile:

The OP's original question:
"Anyone else having second thoughts due to the new software"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
No, seeing stories like this increase in numbers, makes me have second thoughts.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...15#post2836615

$26k in repair cost.
I was simply anwersing "no" to his question.

And then stating why I am having second thoughts.

I do agree with you that turbo and engine failures are not happening often. I just have a little concern it can happen with mods I had in mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 06:40 AM   #132
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
I see, I think there was just a misunderstanding.:smile:

The OP's original question:
"Anyone else having second thoughts due to the new software"

I was simply anwersing "no" to his question.

And then stating why I am having second thoughts.

I do agree with you that turbo and engine failures are not happening often. I just have a little concern it can happen with mods I had in mind.
:w00t: btw...e90 has a few post now where v29.2xx or v30 (what ever the update...update is called) is being installed and some are saying there is no issue with lag now. I think this will become a "non issue" in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0