BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #23
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Great info! My 2011 (built 2010) has developed this. The car is smooth and quiet so it is notable.

I'll cite this when I take it in for oil change.

Thanks for posting the solution!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #24
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

When I took my car for service they didn't seem able to replicate, and said my car wasn't in the TSB cited. Mine is very intermittent. I did get a video - is my noise the same as what others get?

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #25
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Always have had that same squeak when you put pressure on it from the top. Some say that its the top piece hitting the bottom piece, but anything I put in between doesn't seem to stop it.

It's bad engineering of an arm rest. Plain and simple.
      03-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #26
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
My armrest is being replaced under warranty, no questions asked. I'll see if this fixes the issue for a while.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 02:23 AM   #27
goldiee36
E36 fanatic
Germany
Rep
Drives: 120i 2007 LCI

extra info

Hi,

I've just finished with this fix, it took me a while to figure out how to disassemble the armrest.
The official BMW advice is a good start but there are some missing step: removing the plastic pivots (cylinder stuff, number 6 on this picture: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_6499).
In order to remove these you have to pop up the spring cover (#5) and remove the springs (#17). Then you can fold up the armrest and remove the upper and lower part of the armrest compartment (the armrest itself which can be opened).

Sorry about the lack of pictures

I want to share the steps while I remember:
1 - remove the rear cover, 5 clips are holding it. Start at the top of the cover, you want to pull it rearwards. Need some force and abusing to remove..
2 - press/pull the lower edge of the hinge covers outward from the bottom to release the lower part of the cover - this is just above the two screws which you have to remove: remove the fasteners for the retaining springs (these are not the spiral spring but two piece of bent metal plate) and then remove the springs (the metal plates).
2 - now you have to do the extra steps: pop up the two spring cover (#5) at the sides of the pivot stuff (#6 on the pic), start with the inner ear of the cover what you can see if you open the armrest
3 - remove the spiral springs (#17) with some pliers, remember the position, it is not that bad as it looks. Open the armrest first to decrease the tension of the springs.
4 - take the pliers and pinch those plastic retaining tabs on the inner side of the pivots (#6) - push it out towards the sides of the car in the same time - easier then it looks
5 - now you can remove the upper and the lower part of the armrest by folding up and playing it out towards the rear of the car
6 - by now you should see the stops which is on the lower side of the armrest, around the rotating part. I glued some pieces of felt on the vertical stops in the armrest side of the stops. (Top and bottom, both sides) I had to clean it before.
7 - put some grease where you can see wear caused by the moving parts. (Except on the felt stuff.) I used silicone grease.
8 - reassemble everything

When you popping back the lower edge of hinge covers be careful as very easy to break the two plastic tabs, look under the hinge covers and check.

And the armrest is finally quiet!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #28
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiee36 View Post
Hi,

I've just finished with this fix, it took me a while to figure out how to disassemble the armrest.
The official BMW advice is a good start but there are some missing step: removing the plastic pivots (cylinder stuff, number 6 on this picture: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_6499).
In order to remove these you have to pop up the spring cover (#5) and remove the springs (#17). Then you can fold up the armrest and remove the upper and lower part of the armrest compartment (the armrest itself which can be opened).

Sorry about the lack of pictures

I want to share the steps while I remember:
1 - remove the rear cover, 5 clips are holding it. Start at the top of the cover, you want to pull it rearwards. Need some force and abusing to remove..
2 - press/pull the lower edge of the hinge covers outward from the bottom to release the lower part of the cover - this is just above the two screws which you have to remove: remove the fasteners for the retaining springs (these are not the spiral spring but two piece of bent metal plate) and then remove the springs (the metal plates).
2 - now you have to do the extra steps: pop up the two spring cover (#5) at the sides of the pivot stuff (#6 on the pic), start with the inner ear of the cover what you can see if you open the armrest
3 - remove the spiral springs (#17) with some pliers, remember the position, it is not that bad as it looks. Open the armrest first to decrease the tension of the springs.
4 - take the pliers and pinch those plastic retaining tabs on the inner side of the pivots (#6) - push it out towards the sides of the car in the same time - easier then it looks
5 - now you can remove the upper and the lower part of the armrest by folding up and playing it out towards the rear of the car
6 - by now you should see the stops which is on the lower side of the armrest, around the rotating part. I glued some pieces of felt on the vertical stops in the armrest side of the stops. (Top and bottom, both sides) I had to clean it before.
7 - put some grease where you can see wear caused by the moving parts. (Except on the felt stuff.) I used silicone grease.
8 - reassemble everything

When you popping back the lower edge of hinge covers be careful as very easy to break the two plastic tabs, look under the hinge covers and check.

And the armrest is finally quiet!
Thank you for this. Do you think it would be possible to add some spacers to increase the armrest height? I'm thinking about 1/4" would increase the height about 1" or more at the front. This would allow taller cups, and bring the armrest to a more comfortable height for me.

Thanks,
      03-02-2018, 07:20 AM   #29
goldiee36
E36 fanatic
Germany
Rep
Drives: 120i 2007 LCI

As I remember it would be possible!
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #30
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Fixed the armrest height, see here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...4#post22882444

Before:

After: