BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
CharlieHighnett
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Question Coupe Roof Bars dont fit/Bad fit ??

Yeah i know i dont want to put roof bars on my coupe either but im not putting my muddy bike in the back and i think that roof mount will give me the least amount of scratches!

Ok.. so i bought the "Thule" roof bars suitable for the coupe and some bike proriders things for the bike.

The bolt that screws into the roof is very tight.. could be from overspray but having never fitted one before i dont want to go to hard and end up cross threading it.

BMW says "They dont fit coz theyre not BMW"

Thule says "They fit everyone else's weve sold thousands"

Who is right ? Or any experience with roof racks ?

Thanks

Charlie

120d SE, Cruise control, Hifi Speakers, Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Have you thought of the BMW rack?

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
CharlieHighnett
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, but you need the tow bar for that one.. i think its like a 1,000 for retro fit according to the unhelpfull guy at BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Yeah I thought that was only available on the 128 as it requires a tow bar?

I'd get one of the baby carrier looking things, they are easier to get off. I don't plan on having one on my car all the time.

http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=36

If I were to have a roof rack, I'd get the BMW factory crossbars along with this fork mount:

www.rockeymounts.com

well the site is down now but they have a euro style fork mount that attaches to the grooves in the BMW rack.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
CharlieHighnett
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I have to admit im beginning to think that i will change to one of those strap on the back things.. but i dont think they're quite as stable and i feel sure that the little clips things and constant rubbing will damage the paintwork.

Oh and you cant get in the boot once youve put the bikes on

The BMW roof bars look very square in the catalogue, and the ones i have have a nice oval shape to them.

If anyone has screwed the BMW ones into the roof.. Did you have any problems with it sticking ? due to overspray or swarf ?

Im becomming disheartened.. maybe i should keep my old car as my "Bike Car" ?!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHighnett View Post
I have to admit im beginning to think that i will change to one of those strap on the back things.. but i dont think they're quite as stable and i feel sure that the little clips things and constant rubbing will damage the paintwork.

Oh and you cant get in the boot once youve put the bikes on

The BMW roof bars look very square in the catalogue, and the ones i have have a nice oval shape to them.

If anyone has screwed the BMW ones into the roof.. Did you have any problems with it sticking ? due to overspray or swarf ?

Im becomming disheartened.. maybe i should keep my old car as my "Bike Car" ?!!!
A friend has an 08 impreza with factory bars that screw into factory holes under the little plastic covers and it fits perfect - much better than the thule and yakima mounts do and they don't smash your weather stripping.

the bike mounts work fine and I've never heard of them scratching paint. If you get a rear bike mount with the anti-sway blocks it's pretty rock solid and they are out of the wind (mostly).

The main reason to get a roof fork mount is so you can lock your bike and leave the rack on all summer (or all year as so many people do here). I think they also look better, but not as good as a car with a rear mount that isn't attached (haha)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
Madjack
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHighnett View Post
Yeah i know i dont want to put roof bars on my coupe either but im not putting my muddy bike in the back and i think that roof mount will give me the least amount of scratches!

Ok.. so i bought the "Thule" roof bars suitable for the coupe and some bike proriders things for the bike.

The bolt that screws into the roof is very tight.. could be from overspray but having never fitted one before i dont want to go to hard and end up cross threading it.

BMW says "They dont fit coz theyre not BMW"

Thule says "They fit everyone else's weve sold thousands"

Who is right ? Or any experience with roof racks ?

Thanks

Charlie

120d SE, Cruise control, Hifi Speakers, Montego Blue
You probably need to clean out the threads and it will fit fine. If Thule/Yakima is selling mounts for this car, they have test fit them already. I have owned several Yakima racks and they have all fit perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
CharlieHighnett
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Right well.. i just went for it and although they were stiff all the way, the bolts went in.

Im pretty sure that they must be the right bolts and that the nut inserts are coated with paint on the inside, which made them hard to start.

Fingers crossed that i havnt cross threaded them and they fail on the motorway !!!

Charlie
Appreciate 0