BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #23
B135i-e82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i E82 08

This actually happened to me when I tried flashing my car for the first time with MHD.
I used everything that martymil recommended on his thread, had backed up the stock map, then tried to flash a stage 1 map and it kept saying (unable to connect to ECU) when I tried turning the car over it wouldn't start up. After a few minutes of swearing and cigarettes lol, I thought I had fried the ECU.
I ended up disconnecting everything then putting it all back together, started the process from scratch and it worked for me. Haven't had a drama since.

Hope you get it sorted mate!
      01-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #24
imske3000
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
The ones from my thread are fully tested and never had a dodgy one

The sale is for 2 otg cables at 4 dollars for the pair

They really should make that thread a sticky for newer members
If there is anyone who knows MHD its Marty. He helped me when my car did exactly this, i was a little worried to say the least.

I am 99% sure you have a dodgey KDCAN cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 03:55 AM   #25
cozmicf
Rik
Australia
Rep
Drives: DSB 135i 2011 DCT N55

So I asked Vincent (vtl) from these forums to come and try to flash my ECU back to stock with all the BMW tools he had (ICOM cable, WinKFP, etc). He reckons the ECU is actually bricked as he could connect to the OBD port and communicate with all the other modules except for the ECU, even after trying all the low level tools he had.

I've been in contact with MHD on Facebook and they assure me that the ECU can't be bricked. Waiting on some more information from them.

Assuming it is bricked, Vincent told me I have three options:
1. Remove the DME myself and get it bench flashed by a workshop in Melbourne
2. Get a BMW dealership to order in a new DME and fix it
3. Order all the parts - DME/CAS/etc and do it myself

Option 3 is probably off the table.

Option 2 will probably be pretty expensive - does anyone know how much this would be?

As for option 1, I'm not too confident in myself to start pulling things out from under the hood and get under the intake manifold to get the DME out. Does anyone know how to do this with the N55 135i and would be willing to lend a couple of hours to help me do it if I do decide to try this? Is this option likely to work?

Anyone know which shops around Melbourne have experience with this kind of stuff?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 04:39 AM   #26
imske3000
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

You sound exactly like me when I did mine. Get a 20amp or stronger battery charger and a new KDCAN cable, flash back to stock and flash again. I'm sure you will be fine.

Out of curiosity, what charger are you using?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 05:02 AM   #27
cozmicf
Rik
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imske3000 View Post
You sound exactly like me when I did mine. Get a 20amp or stronger battery charger and a new KDCAN cable, flash back to stock and flash again. I'm sure you will be fine.

Out of curiosity, what charger are you using?
I have a 20A charger, though it's a cheapie, but it was recommended to me on this forum: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262455942...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've tried 3 KDCAN cables and 4 OTG cables all of which could not connect to the DME. Vincent from these forums brought his cables and kit down which he knows to work for low level programming (ICOM, WinKFP), and after trying many times he still wasn't able to connect to the DME at all. This is why it seems like the DME has been bricked
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #28
imske3000
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I would be questioning the charger as well. I originally bought a cheap 40amp eBay charger and exactly what you have described happened to me. I had to go to Super Cheap the next day and buy a more premium battery and it all went smoothly. If it loses signal at any time during the flash, weather its a cable or low battery it will do exactly what its doing now.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #29
cozmicf
Rik
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I would be questioning the charger as well. I originally bought a cheap 40amp eBay charger and exactly what you have described happened to me. I had to go to Super Cheap the next day and buy a more premium battery and it all went smoothly. If it loses signal at any time during the flash, weather its a cable or low battery it will do exactly what its doing now.
True. It is strange though that I was able to connect fine before using my original OTG + KDCAN cables, and now I can't even connect at all (even with the battery fully charged).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #30
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Sending you pm
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #31
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

This is N55 and MHD is still in its infancy so you can't apply all the knowledge of N54 flashing to the N55 it seems.

Normally when the DME is bricked you can still get it recognised by WinKFP (the flashing software part of BMW Standard tools). After connecting it up with an ICOM cable, it couldn't talk to it at all, same thing with DCAN. Tried WinKFP expert mode and manually setting up the parameters but fundamentally couldn't connect. No jobs in Tool32 with would get a response, couldn't read UIF or ident or anything.

All communication with the other modules in the car was fine, could read error codes and diagnostics on everything except the ECU, so the OBD2 connection was working correctly.

Its behaving like the DME isn't even plugged in, did you end up checking the fuses in the white "DME box" under the microfilter tray?
      01-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #32
cozmicf
Rik
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
This is N55 and MHD is still in its infancy so you can't apply all the knowledge of N54 flashing to the N55 it seems.

Normally when the DME is bricked you can still get it recognised by WinKFP (the flashing software part of BMW Standard tools). After connecting it up with an ICOM cable, it couldn't talk to it at all, same thing with DCAN. Tried WinKFP expert mode and manually setting up the parameters but fundamentally couldn't connect. No jobs in Tool32 with would get a response, couldn't read UIF or ident or anything.

All communication with the other modules in the car was fine, could read error codes and diagnostics on everything except the ECU, so the OBD2 connection was working correctly.

Its behaving like the DME isn't even plugged in, did you end up checking the fuses in the white "DME box" under the microfilter tray?
Yes I checked the fuses in the white box, there were only about 3 of them in there. Also checked most (but not all) the fuses in the glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #33
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmicf View Post
Yes I checked the fuses in the white box, there were only about 3 of them in there. Also checked most (but not all) the fuses in the glovebox.
Just looked up the fuses in ISTA, these fuses the glovebox should be the main power to the DME: 11, 16, 37, 38
      01-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #34
cozmicf
Rik
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Just looked up the fuses in ISTA, these fuses the glovebox should be the main power to the DME: 11, 16, 37, 38
Ok I'll check those fuses tonight.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #35
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

Quote:
Option 2 will probably be pretty expensive - does anyone know how much this would be?
I had to get a new ECU 2 years ago (Earth wire on the injectors came loose, ECU then fried along with the alternator circuitry and seat module, wtf?)

Anyway, ECU from getbmwparts . com was $1200 USD shipped to a US address, then about $300 AUD more for shipping and customs. I can't remember the exact price was from the Perth dealer but from memory it was about 50% more.

I hope that's not the route you have to go. All the best.
      01-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #36
cozmicf
Rik
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiuM View Post
I had to get a new ECU 2 years ago (Earth wire on the injectors came loose, ECU then fried along with the alternator circuitry and seat module, wtf?)

Anyway, ECU from getbmwparts . com was $1200 USD shipped to a US address, then about $300 AUD more for shipping and customs. I can't remember the exact price was from the Perth dealer but from memory it was about 50% more.

I hope that's not the route you have to go. All the best.
How did you go about doing all the other stuff you have to do to get it work, like get the CAS module, program the codes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #37
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

Unsure what the dealer did. At that point I had given up and just took it to them to deal with. When ordering the ECU from the states I had to give them my VIN number so they could code it to the car.

I bought all the parts from the states and just got them to install them and set them up. Doing the ECU, alternator, seat module and while they were at it I got them to change the water pump and thermostat as the car was at 100kkms. All that was 8 hours of labour which seemed reasonable.
      01-12-2017, 01:12 AM   #38
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Well we tried recovering but no go

He never backed up his ecu so don't know if that's got anything to do with it

Every dead ecu I recovered always had a backup

There is a guy in Melbourne that bench flashes these anyone know his name and number for future reference ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 02:40 AM   #39
cozmicf
Rik
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
Well we tried recovering but no go

He never backed up his ecu so don't know if that's got anything to do with it

Every dead ecu I recovered always had a backup

There is a guy in Melbourne that bench flashes these anyone know his name and number for future reference ?
I remember seeing on some video of the MHD flashing process (I think it was for the n54) a backup button in the main menu. But with my N55 app I don't have a backup option in the main menu. If I go down to 'Stock map operations', there is a button for 'Generate Updated Backup' which has the following description: "For user map editing - generates an up-to-date BIN for your software version". I am unsure what this means exactly, especially since it says 'updated', and for 'map editing'. Hence I missed this option when I first tried flashing, and probably should have done it if in fact it does do an actual backup.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 02:49 AM   #40
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Backing up the ecu would not help at all in this situation. In this case you cannot communicate with the DME at all. How would you load backup if you can't even talk to it?
      01-12-2017, 02:52 AM   #41
cozmicf
Rik
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Backing up the ecu would not help at all in this situation. In this case you cannot communicate with the DME at all. How would you load backup if you can't even talk to it?
That's true. It's also the most odd part of this problem, that I can't even talk to the DME.

I checked the fuses you suggested checking and they're all fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #42
imske3000
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Did you find a fix for the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #43
cozmicf
Rik
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Did you find a fix for the car?
Dropped it off at SouthernBM to see what they can do about it. If that fails I'll have to wait till Auto Racing Technik is back, since I've been told they are pretty good with this kind of stuff. Apparently Auto Racing Technik is away until the end of January, anyone know an exact date?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #44
imske3000
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Dropped it off at SouthernBM to see what they can do about it. If that fails I'll have to wait till Auto Racing Technik is back, since I've been told they are pretty good with this kind of stuff. Apparently Auto Racing Technik is away until the end of January, anyone know an exact date?
Hopefully they will find a solution. Do you know what version the N55 tune was on? It was in Beta in November last year when I last checked. I work in software myself and I am thinking it may not have gone through enough user testing.
Appreciate 0