BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #23
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmj View Post
Hey gregthegr8 and others:

I pulled the trigger on a car, and it's going to be shipped to me next week. It's a 2013 CPO 135i M-Sport, black/black DCT, with most all options. 15k miles It's coming down to Glendale, CA from Weatherford BMW in Berkeley, CA. I'm excited!

The only downside to the car is that it was an exec demo, but it's clean and tight. Nor Cal forum member pepper135I was kind enough to go assess it for me, which was invaluable.

I'd like to start getting some ideas of things to do to for my car right away, just the lightest and simplest of mods and/or things to buy that might be wise. Such as:

1) Golf tee mod.
2) Sport antennae.
3) Some non-run flat tires that might improve noise, ride and performance but that are the same size as stock.
4) A nice car cover.

Anything else I might want to do right off the bat?

Thanks,
Justin
Congrats! What you end up doing/negotiating about the whole service contract thing?

I would highly recommend the performance exhaust as it is a game changer and even better if you have a convertible. Goes great with the performance power kit, too that adds 20 horsies and 17 ft-lb of torque, but doing everything may get a bit expensive.

As far as non runflats go, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are amazing, though there are a few other comparable ones that are a little cheaper if you want/need to save a few hundred bucks. I'd also actually recommend going with the 225/255 setup as opposed to stock 215/245. I labored over this and was way too paranoid and stayed with the stock sizes and kinda regret it. The slight upsize makes them a hair wider and a hair taller, look better, provide better grip, and a little more protection for your rims.

Then, just enjoy the hell out of it and congrats.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #24
justinmj
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi wagon, '13 135i vert

Greg, awesome - good tips. Might do PPK before I get the exhaust, actually. I had that exhaust on my '14 328 wagon and promptly had it removed and sold it. I don't want a loud car.

Good idea on the tires. I want to make sure I get rubber that doesn't change the speedometer/odometer, but also is more comfortable/quiet than stock, not just grippier.

As far as the service plan, I turned it down. The guy in finance was WRONG about the fact that the 4 years/50k miles maintenance doesn't transfer over when the car is sold in the CPO program. He was shifty. Of course I get no maintenance after 50K miles, but I really don't think it'll exceed $2500.

J
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #25
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmj View Post
Greg, awesome - good tips. Might do PPK before I get the exhaust, actually. I had that exhaust on my '14 328 wagon and promptly had it removed and sold it. I don't want a loud car.

Good idea on the tires. I want to make sure I get rubber that doesn't change the speedometer/odometer, but also is more comfortable/quiet than stock, not just grippier.

As far as the service plan, I turned it down. The guy in finance was WRONG about the fact that the 4 years/50k miles maintenance doesn't transfer over when the car is sold in the CPO program. He was shifty. Of course I get no maintenance after 50K miles, but I really don't think it'll exceed $2500.

J
Ya, if you don't want a loud exhaust DO NOT get the performance exhaust. Your neighbors will hate you. The PPK is nice, though many on the forum will say it's way overpriced compared to various JB4 and Cobb options, but if you want a warrantied, OEM solution, it's a good way to go. I think you drove the 135is at Pacific awhile back, so you might be able to tell once your car arrives if you feel the difference.

As for the tires, if you're worried, stick with 215/245, but I don't know if the 225/255 really have any effect on the speedo since it's not like you're changing from 18's to 19's. The pilot super sports are MUCH quieter, smoother, grippier, and last twice as long as the runflats. And are cheaper. The runflats feel like they barrel and plow down the road like a piledriver/sledgehammer, whereas the pilot super sports feel like they conform and adjust to the contours of the road to always provide a constant contact patch. The continental extreme contact DW tires are another good option that are similar and about $200-300 less per set. I asked an expert the other day though about them and he said the pilot super sports are quieter.

Glad to hear that a-hole was wrong and you get the maintenance plan. Can't wait to see the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #26
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Whatever you do, most convertible owners will probably recommend you swap out the giant antenna on there for the "sport antenna" which is a $30 upgrade that's short and stubby, works the same, but looks a lot better, may save an eye or two, and suits the lines of the car better. You can see it on Kouper's car here to give you an idea. Best $30 you'll ever spend.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915407
I had no idea that this was a mod! Any link to purchasing the antenna?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:25 PM   #27
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert View Post
I had no idea that this was a mod! Any link to purchasing the antenna?
You can get it from your dealer or any of the forum vendors. It's part #65202296761 which is all you'll need and you can see more pics on Kouper's car here. May just save an eye!

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...88&postcount=3
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #28
justinmj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ya, if you don't want a loud exhaust DO NOT get the performance exhaust. Your neighbors will hate you. The PPK is nice, though many on the forum will say it's way overpriced compared to various JB4 and Cobb options, but if you want a warrantied, OEM solution, it's a good way to go. I think you drove the 135is at Pacific awhile back, so you might be able to tell once your car arrives if you feel the difference.

As for the tires, if you're worried, stick with 215/245, but I don't know if the 225/255 really have any effect on the speedo since it's not like you're changing from 18's to 19's. The pilot super sports are MUCH quieter, smoother, grippier, and last twice as long as the runflats. And are cheaper. The runflats feel like they barrel and plow down the road like a piledriver/sledgehammer, whereas the pilot super sports feel like they conform and adjust to the contours of the road to always provide a constant contact patch. The continental extreme contact DW tires are another good option that are similar and about $200-300 less per set. I asked an expert the other day though about them and he said the pilot super sports are quieter.

Glad to hear that a-hole was wrong and you get the maintenance plan. Can't wait to see the car.
Great! I'm going to get the PPK (will search around the local dealerships for best price) , upgrade the tires to Michelin PSS (one-up sizes), and find that antennae. That'll be a great start! Thanks again, Greg. Will reach out when the car is in hand.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #29
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

Maybe consider black bmw grills for your color combo, then spend a day waxing her and she will be maximum badass.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #30
justinmj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Maybe consider black bmw grills for your color combo, then spend a day waxing her and she will be maximum badass.
I was always shying away from those black kidney grills, but now I'm warming up to them, after looking at a bunch of comparison pics. Waxing: ooooh yes.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #31
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Also, granted I have no experience with the convertible, but many recommend the wind deflector, which might not be too bad to pick one up used. Even if you didn't want to buy Mark's car (and my tires), he's got a wind deflector for sale:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...php?p=16333121
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #32
justinmj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Also, granted I have no experience with the convertible, but many recommend the wind deflector, which might not be too bad to pick one up used. Even if you didn't want to buy Mark's car (and my tires), he's got a wind deflector for sale:

Good call! PM sent!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:10 AM   #33
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:

$225 for one in like new condition with case is a good price! Usual going rate is $250-275.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #34
justinmj
Private
Rep

Can anyone also happen to recommend a very good, fitted cover for this car as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #35
Stavo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E88 135i M Sport DCT

Garage List
Hi Justin,

I am the new Owner of a CPO 2012 135I M sport with DCT, Picked up in January of this year. Just saw your post, interested in seeing some pics and what mods you have done to your car. Mine had under 12K miles when I bought it, 16K now. I have really been enjoying it and just in time for some nice weather down in Houston. I replaced an E46 Performance package car(ZHP) and I though I would miss it more than I have. I absolutely love the 1er. My car seemed to have a couple minor mods, Black grills and a lip spoiler. Interested in Tires that are less harsh and maybe the PP1 upgrade for the 20 extra hPs.
      04-17-2015, 11:51 PM   #36
justinmj
Private
Rep

Congrats on that car! Sounds perfect. PP1 highly recommended, as is some Bridgestone PSS tires. Simple mods that make a world of difference. Next for me is rear subframe bushings.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #37
xbrentx
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Or just make it an is like I did
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #38
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

I know this is post a year old, but i have only just discovered this post. Does anyone know where i can find the stubby antenna?

And what is the "Golf Tee Mod"?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #39
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

The stubby antenna is part number 65202296761. You can get it at http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/ind...xt=65202296761

The golf tee mod is a name for obstructing one of the vacuum lines on the muffler which makes the exhaust louder at low rpms. Search for more info.
Appreciate 0