BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #23
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4nut View Post
I assume this will eliminate the lurching and overall wonkiness of the stock DCT?! If so, count me in.
It did for me! Check out my reply above regarding my experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #24
evilrho
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Convertible

I'm experiencing very rough shifting, lurching and lag when the engine is hot with the A/C on. I've tried resetting the adaptations, and cleaning the MAF, etc. all to no avail. I've got the Dinan software (stage 1, I think from the previous owner) and suspect this might be part of the issue. I like the extra 50 hp, so I'm not ready to give that up just yet.

Anyone with a similar setup and issues see an improvement with this XHP flash product?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #25
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrho View Post
I'm experiencing very rough shifting, lurching and lag when the engine is hot with the A/C on. I've tried resetting the adaptations, and cleaning the MAF, etc. all to no avail. I've got the Dinan software (stage 1, I think from the previous owner) and suspect this might be part of the issue. I like the extra 50 hp, so I'm not ready to give that up just yet.

Anyone with a similar setup and issues see an improvement with this XHP flash product?
I have not experienced severe issues like this... How many miles are on your car? Wondering if it has to do with your flywheel since you mentioned issues when AC is on. When did these issues start?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #26
evilrho
Rep

About 60k miles on the car. I don't believe it's the flywheel. This seems to be a fairly common issue according to other threads and forums I've been on. The car is otherwise pristine and not abused. It drives fine in all other conditions.

See:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1402323
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #27
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 135is

Quote:

This is exactly what I experience every day too. It's maddening. I just turned 50k, and have the Dinan stage 2. I'm ordering tonight.
      07-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #28
evilrho
Rep

Quote:
This is exactly what I experience every day too. It's maddening. I just turned 50k, and have the Dinan stage 2. I'm ordering tonight.
I can't wait to hear how it works for you. Please let me know! I'm tempted to order it too.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 10:45 PM   #29
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

I can tell you 100% it's not the Dinan software. I have the S2 tune on my car. If you search, you'll find my posts where I go through all the talked about options on my car. So far, I think I'm the only to have done all the suggested fixes other than doing this new DCT flash.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #30
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I can't wait to hear how it works for you. Please let me know! I'm tempted to order it too.
Just ordered my cable, and will get a battery charger this weekend. As soon as I get those, I'll buy the flash and maps.

Ask, any thoughts on using the schwaben micro jump start as the charger? I already have this.

Ps... will probably get a new battery too, as mine is original
      07-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #31
evilrho
Rep

Quote:
Just ordered my cable, and will get a battery charger this weekend. As soon as I get those, I'll buy the flash and maps.

Ask, any thoughts on using the schwaben micro jump start as the charger? I already have this.

Ps... will probably get a new battery too, as mine is original
Not familiar with the schwaben charger. Is having a battery charger part of the process of this coding process?

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #32
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:
Not familiar with the schwaben charger. Is having a battery charger part of the process of this coding process?

Good luck!
It’s always a good idea to have a charger connected when flashing anything, if the battery voltage goes low enough during the process it can cause issues. That being said this flash only took a few minutes so as long as your battery is in good condition you should be ok.

After putting on a few more miles with the flash installed I’ll say that in my opinion it is an improvement over the factory software. I think the biggest difference is in auto mode, where as before (with sport mode off in D) the shifts felt way too soft almost like a slipping auto trans, now the shifts are much more crisp and seem to be timed a little better.

I almost always drive in manual mode. I’d say on my car with sport mode off or on the shifts are a little more crisp and more clean. With sport mode off it shifts slightly harder, but with sport mode on it doesn’t Seem to shift quite as aggressively as it did before. Basically it seems like on my car the difference with the sport button on/off is less noticeable then before. Keep in mind my car has a custom MHD DME flash so that could also potentially affect the way the transmission responds.

Now that I have a good base line for how the transmission is acting I am going to start messing with the shifting parameters in the app, although it seems a little confusing... I think it’s going to take a little playing with to see improvements.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #33
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Now that I have a good base line for how the transmission is acting I am going to start messing with the shifting parameters in the app, although it seems a little confusing... I think it's going to take a little playing with to see improvements.
Try to start slightly adjusting the torque punch, and torque reduction together. I slowly bumped both up until I got it to a point I like. It made a very big difference for me and was an improvement over the default flash parameters.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:46 PM   #34
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost135i View Post
Try to start slightly adjusting the torque punch, and torque reduction together. I slowly bumped both up until I got it to a point I like. It made a very big difference for me and was an improvement over the default flash parameters.
If I have a little post shift lag you think try reducing the torque reduction?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 09:24 PM   #35
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost135i View Post
If I have a little post shift lag you think try reducing the torque reduction?
increase torque reduction and torque punch slightly
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 11:57 PM   #36
MatanKau
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2012

Ok guys, so I just put Stage 3 on my 135i DCT, and damn it's amazing can definitely feel the difference, I can pretty much say that the DCT Lag that we are all aware of is gone for me. Highly recommend based on my experience and my car
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #37
evilrho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatanKau View Post
Ok guys, so I just put Stage 3 on my 135i DCT, and damn it's amazing can definitely feel the difference, I can pretty much say that the DCT Lag that we are all aware of is gone for me. Highly recommend based on my experience and my car
Were you experiencing the lag/lurching with the engine hot and the A/C on?

Would you mind sharing what your total purchase list was? (Cables, apps, stage choice, etc.)? I love everything about this car, but the DCT issues are driving me nuts.

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 11:18 AM   #38
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatanKau View Post

Would you mind sharing what your total purchase list was? (Cables, apps, stage choice, etc.)? I love everything about this car, but the DCT issues are driving me nuts.

Thanks for sharing.
I'm in it for about $650 including the cable, battery charger, and XHP software licenses and map packs. I plan to flash this weekend in the hope it solves those issues
      07-31-2020, 08:10 PM   #39
MatanKau
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for sharing.
Pretty much what A4nut said. its about 200 euro for the flash license and another 200 for the map pack. Buying the map pack gives you all the stages, I decided to go all out and went straight to stage 3. Ill try the AC thing for you when I have time and get back to you. I also have MHD Stage 2+ installed if you have MHD swap to the MHD map for Manual/xHP.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #40
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep

So I finally was able to flash my car today, it took about 15 min total. I went straight to stage 2. It was easy, but a bit unnerving towards and at the end with the transmission malfunction warning on the display.

Turned it off, then back on...still on.

Turned it off, then back on. Warning was gone, but SES light stayed on.

Turned it off, then back on. Still there.

Decided to drive it to the store, drove great. Very snappy shifts.

When I came out the light was off, so it appears to have been successful.

I'm not sure yet if the hot car with air con lurching is gone or not. Hopefully as I drive it this week I'll get a better idea. I live in Atlanta, so it's hot.

I will say the R to D delay is still there. Sometimes it takes forever to engage.
      08-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #41
MatanKau
Australia
Rep

Quote:
So I finally was able to flash my car today, it took about 15 min total. I went straight to stage 2. It was easy, but a bit unnerving towards and at the end with the transmission malfunction warning on the display.

Turned it off, then back on...still on.

Turned it off, then back on. Warning was gone, but SES light stayed on.

Decided to drive it to the store, drove great. Very snappy shifts.

When I came out the light was off, so it appears to have been successful.

I'm not sure yet if the hot car with air con lurching is gone or not. Hopefully as I drive it this week I'll get a better idea. I live in Atlanta, so it's hot.

I will say the R to D delay is still there. Sometimes it takes forever to engage.

Same errors for me I just went to MHD App and cleared the codes and they were gone, have you tried that?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #42
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Updated to the latest version, they added the option to turn off creep like the m-cars. I’m thinking turning off the creep will completely eliminate the lurching problems some people complain about. It defiantly feels less awkward when starting off from a stop.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #43
evilrho
Rep

I don't have MHD, and haven't done much research on it. Only thing non-stock about the car is the Dinan stage 2 software. I'm not convinced this is not a source of the A/C on lurching/hesitation issue, but folks have suggested it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #44
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't have MHD, and haven't done much research on it. Only thing non-stock about the car is the Dinan stage 2 software. I'm not convinced this is not a source of the A/C on lurching/hesitation issue, but folks have suggested it isn't.
The “lurching” problem is a result of the idle being inconsistent with the a/c on, when the compressor cycles on/off the idle surges a little. On a DCT car (specifically the 135) the transmission keeps the clutches slightly engaged at a stop to sort of mimic a typical torque converter transmission, and when the idle surges it causes the car to lurch if your foot isn’t firmly on the brake. (I’m guessing this is what your talking about). Bmw came out with a software update/adaptation reset procedure to “fix” the problem but it just lessened it.

Dinan and MHD are both engine tuning software, XHP tunes the transmission. With the XHP software and “creep” turned off the clutches stay completely disengaged when the car is at a stop as long as the gas pedal isn’t pressed sort of like a manual transmission, this is how the M-cars are from the factory. This way if the engine surges or anything while your stopped at a light it’s not going to make the car lurch or hesitate or anything.

Last edited by Gizmo135i; 08-03-2020 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0