BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
epecon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

135xi?

Do any of you foresee the 1 series coming out with an xi version in the 2nd year of the release? The 2008 335 coupe will now have xi as an option. This isn't make or break for me but I'm curious or do you foresee BMW leaving the 1 series as only a rear wheel drive car forever?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Don't see this happening. My source at BMW has said numerous times that the 1 will be RWD only and is going to be marketed as a sports car, not a tourer like the 3 has become. They also anticipate the pricing to be a tick over $40K for a fully loaded 135i.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Vornado
A swell fellow
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hot air balloon

I dont see why they wouldnt.. They know people from around the country are going to be concerned with AWD. The sales loss of people not wanting a RWD where they live is unacceptable. There was no indication of an xi model when the 335i was still due to arrive, I would expect to see an AWD 1-series for sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornado View Post
I dont see why they wouldnt.. They know people from around the country are going to be concerned with AWD. The sales loss of people not wanting a RWD where they live is unacceptable. There was no indication of an xi model when the 335i was still due to arrive, I would expect to see an AWD 1-series for sure.
With all due respect, BMW did just fine without a single AWD car for what... 10+ years? The model is not here yet and is not replacing anything so I don't see how you can say there would be a loss of any kind. If anything, there would be a loss from spending so much money to make the car AWD.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornado View Post
I totally agree. The 1er will compete with the 3er for the best selling series worldwide. They know they'd be foolish to not put Xdrive in the 1er and pick up even more sales from Audi, Suburu, and Mistubishi.

Btw, what's with all these people with the "my sources at BMW" posts?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Btw, what's with all these people with the "my sources at BMW" posts?
These are people who are on a first-name basis w. their salesman.

Correct usage such as, "my source at BMW told me to order the upholstery protectant and the clear-bra because there's a special on them."
Also correct, "my source at BMW said never to call his cell-phone # after 9pm."

It seems over the history of 1addicts:Scott26 and EniLab, and AdvEvo have BMW info that is credible...
Ultimate has some kind of inside thing BMW N/A, Irv gets the spy pics and our
esteemed moderators Freak and Harold never spill the beans in front of the lab mice.

This according my sources at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

LOL!

CAs generally know squat. Actually, people at any dealership know squat, until the info is released. Once it's released, they know what we know, but likely forget thing and then fill in the blanks themselves.

Luckily, for over a decade we've had an insider. Jon Shafer at bimmerfest has, since the days of bimmer.org (mid 90's), spilled the beans as info has been available. Luckily, even though he's been out of car sales for a few years, he still has immediate information as it's released.

There's only been one other document that I've seen, not released by him, that's rung 100% true. That was the leaked motor release schedule from 3+ years ago, that predated the N52-N54 motors, yet showed them as being in upcoming models replete with dates.

Those of you being fed lines by a CA that you know, that you've already heard directly contradicting information, take it with a large tablet of salt, please. They are just looking for your deposit.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
Tijuana
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
These are people who are on a first-name basis w. their salesman.
AHAHAHAHAHA!!!

IMO, a 135xi makes no sense. This is a sports coupe. BMW doesn't use AWD as a "sports" option.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #9
DimaGt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

If awd is a concern there is always Subaru.. But is far is BMW concern I doubt that they will make 135xi... What is a point? And for Who? It seems to me that people that are interested in 135i do not care for boring and safe, always understeering car...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
mtw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

If xDrive is going to make an appearance on the 1 Series, I'd imagine it'd be in 128xi form.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
AHAHAHAHAHA!!!

IMO, a 135xi makes no sense. This is a sports coupe. BMW doesn't use AWD as a "sports" option.
The 335xi is being listed as faster than the 335i by BMW. I assume it's because it can launch better, even though it's quite heavier. Since the 135i is lighter still, with the same hefty power, that 'faster' effect might be greater still.

Yeah, I know that's just a 0-60 number, and cornering will likely be effected by the extra mass, but you can power out of the corners earlier with AWD.

Not saying it's better, but it's yet another option for people who live where they can't afford a separate winter car, and need more grip than a smallish overpowered car can give.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #12
epecon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for all of the responses. Like I said it wont break my decision. I have an IS 300 right now and I know it isn't great in the snow but I've always survived. I only thought about it because I see the 335 coupe is now going to have xi. If they are marketing the 135 as an "M" type car, then I would think then that xi will not become available. I'd just like to know, but it probably wouldn't be made available until 2009.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

RWD can be more entertaining but if you have a good AWD car it can be faster and safer. AWD cars can be set up to bias RWD nomally. Most current AWD systems come from FWD cars that are fitted with AWD so there is a measure of understeer while driving them.

Given the option between 135i or xi I'd opt for the xi, but then I'm also in the snowbelt and even with snowtires my 3000lb car drives worse than my wife's FWD minivan on all-seasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Given the option between 135i or xi I'd opt for the xi, but then I'm also in the snowbelt and even with snowtires my 3000lb car drives worse than my wife's FWD minivan on all-seasons.
In terms of RWD and winter, personnaly, the frist car I owned was RWD (A Merkur Scorpio) and it kicked ass in the winter. I could go practially anywhere in that car that I wanted to, with little trouble, whereas most all of the cars since it have ben FWD and they all snow plow, skid, and are generally a pain-in-ass to drive in the winter, well the Galant isn't too bad, but still I long for the days of having RWD when the snow comes.

The XR is RWD, and in winter it does ok...it would be better if not for the turbo lag and lack of winter tires, but then it rarely gets driven in the snow.

I can't wait till get my hands on a 128i, throw some good winter tires on it, and get out on the snow. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #15
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobin~ View Post
In terms of RWD and winter, personnaly, the frist car I owned was RWD (A Merkur Scorpio) and it kicked ass in the winter. I could go practially anywhere in that car that I wanted to, with little trouble, whereas most all of the cars since it have ben FWD and they all snow plow, skid, and are generally a pain-in-ass to drive in the winter, well the Galant isn't too bad, but still I long for the days of having RWD when the snow comes.

The XR is RWD, and in winter it does ok...it would be better if not for the turbo lag and lack of winter tires, but then it rarely gets driven in the snow.

I can't wait till get my hands on a 128i, throw some good winter tires on it, and get out on the snow. :thumbup:
OT: just noticed the "Drives XR4Ti "
Brings back some good memories... I had one & loved it.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #16
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

The good thing about AWD where I live is that you don't have to slap on chains to go sking/boarding when the chain laws are in effect. It's just too damn much of a pain to put on chains in the early AM, in the cold and snow. Some of the police here like to tack on a "too fast for conditions" ticket with a chain violation ticket. Their logic? If you are driving without chains when the chain law is in effect, then even moderate speeds are too fast for conditions. An Xi would solve that problem.

I was talking to a sales guy and he was claiming that they sell mostly 335xi's, and very few 335i's. I don't know if it is true or not. (He also said the 2008 335xi's would go up 800 in price, and that didn't happen... he could have just been trying to sell some overstocked 2007 335xi's that no one was buying) But if he was right I guess here is where the market would be for a 135xi or 128xi.

Last edited by Nixon; 08-10-2009 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #17
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobin~ View Post

Mine does fairly well in the snow and slush but get it on a hill in the right conditions and it goes no where. There just isn't enough weight over the back wheels in a light car.

I think they would sell a reasonable number of 135xi's if they offered them.
Appreciate 0