BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-18-2019, 04:36 AM   #1
DA51ELK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d / E82 120d

Exclamation (BMW E82) ‘Parking/Hand Brake’ Stopped Working after New ‘Pads + Discs’

Good Morning Guys,

On Saturday I had my ‘Pads and Discs’ changed on the car and all of a sudden the ‘Parking/Hand Brake’ has stopped working.

It has not stopped working altogether however it has become less stiff/rigid after the new ‘Pads and Discs’ were fitted.

I know this because my driveway is on a steep hill and I have noticed when parking it rolls quite a lot after applying the ‘Parking/Hand Brake’, which never happened prior to having the new ‘Pads + Discs’ changed.

I went back in today to get it checked and was told that the hand brake on my car is self-adjusting and that I should keep using it for the next 2 weeks to see if they stiffen back up.

Is this true ?
What should I do ?

Please Help, Thanks!

Last edited by DA51ELK; 12-18-2019 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: Parking brake, hand brake, brake discs, brake pads
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Pretty much true. When the job was done it should have been adjusted to be somewhat close, but probably was not. It should be self adjusting afterwards yes.

Lots of "should". Time will tell if the mechanism is working properly.

If you are a DIY-er it's not too bad of a job. You need to get the wheels off and have a screwdriver to poke in there. And of course the ability to decide when it's set correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Unless the 135i is different than the 128i, you only need to remove one lug bolt.

There was a thread on this forum on this. If I can find the link I'll post it, but, I'm sure there are diy's out somewhere.

found it: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655621

Last edited by gjm120; 12-18-2019 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 2
asbrr542.00
      12-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Pull up the base of the hand brake boot. Use a flat head screwdriver to pry back and secure the spring at the back of the brake lever

Remove a lug bolt and using a flashlight rotate the wheel until you see the star shaped worm gear. Using a flat head screwdriver lever the gear until the brake shoes prevent you from spinning the wheel. Can't remember which way you have to lever the gear, so just fiddle with it. Once you do that it's somewhere between 6-8 clicks on my car to have the shoes loose enough that they don't contact the drum, but right enough that the hand brake is highly effective.

3. Replace and torque lug bolt, return hand brake spring to normal position. Test drive and test parking brake.
1and11855.00
asbrr542.00
      12-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Pull up the base of the hand brake boot. Use a flat head screwdriver to pry back and secure the spring at the back of the brake lever

Remove a lug bolt and using a flashlight rotate the wheel until you see the star shaped worm gear. Using a flat head screwdriver lever the gear until the brake shoes prevent you from spinning the wheel. Can't remember which way you have to lever the gear, so just fiddle with it. Once you do that it's somewhere between 6-8 clicks on my car to have the shoes loose enough that they don't contact the drum, but right enough that the hand brake is highly effective.

3. Replace and torque lug bolt, return hand brake spring to normal position. Test drive and test parking brake.
the thread I linked just above has good pictures
      12-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
DA51ELK
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d / E82 120d

Quote:

Thank you very much for all the replies guys, I shall give it a go and see how I get on.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4N13L View Post
Quote:

Thank you very much for all the replies guys, I shall give it a go and see how I get on.
More details on TIS:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-brake/GQ2VYKq
Appreciate 0