BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #23
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Any updates on the VIE kit's arrival? Seems like you've been patiently waiting!
it has been quite a long wait. Kit should arrive tomorrow actually! content will be posted of course
      09-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #24
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It has been quite a journey since I've updated this thread last. Between VIE not being able to deliver, summer classes being very difficult, and running into multiple car problems (AC compressor went out and took FOREVER to diagnose), I was not able to do my single turbo build this summer like I had planned.

For those who follow me on youtube already, you probably know whats been happening. but essentially, VIE was not able to deliver my single turbo kit to me in a timely manner.. I wanted for 4 months since I placed the order (may 1st) and paid for the kit in full (no deposit) so this was completely unacceptable.

Additionally, I caught the manager of VIE Lying to me on updates with the kit, being extremely difficult to coordinate with, and I was still missing small pieces of the kit even after I had finally received it. such as mac solenoid, air filter, turbo oil/coolant flanges, etc. lastly the quality of the kit was terrible. The turbo blanket was super cheap and looked identical to an ebay turbo blanket, the lines were very cheap feeling, the oil feed line looked like it was from ebay as well... overall I was not satisfied to say the least and it was an awful experience.

since then, I have sold the kit and bought a used motiv kit. after all the waiting and BS games I plaid with VIE, I was ready to abandon ship of ever building a single turbo n54. Luckily I found a used Motiv kit for sale from a buddy who I could trust, and it was all ready to go. No more playing games, no more shitty quality, it was time to get the best of the best for my car.

Here is a Link to a youtube video I made on the unboxing of the used motiv 800 kit and explaining things about VIE:

10-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #25
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've made tons of progress with the car and its only a step or two away from driving. The motiv single turbo kit is installed and its fantastic, easily the best single turbo kit out there in my opinion. Im running the 800 kit with a Xona rotor 82-67 with 1.03AR, I plan to hit a dyno when the car is done being tuned by Ken to see what numbers she makes!

I also changed the style of my youtube channel a lot, deleted some old content that was useless, and am trying to improve the quality a lot. Here are a couple of the most recent videos!

N54 stock turbo removal DIY:

Motiv Kit install and first start:

Last edited by Neiman Levenson; 10-31-2018 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #26
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Congrats Bud. Saw the vid. You must be pulling your hair out waiting for the clutch!!! I would have given up the build at least three times by now.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #27
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Glad to see you finally got the conversion done! Hate to hear all the drama you had to endure with the previous kit. It's absolutely unacceptable how some of these vendors conduct business -- the N54 market seems to attract absolutely atrocious businessmen.

Bad luck about the slave cylinder. I had a bit of trouble getting my slave mounted back in the transmission as well, but after fumbling with it for a half hour managed to get it bolted down and working properly. Now I feel fortunate I didn't damage something during the reinstallation considering your story.

Anyways, I applaud your persistence and dedication. As soon as you get the transmission buttoned back up, you'll finally have that single turbo N54 tucked in a Lemans Blue 135i that you really wanted. That Motiv bottom mount seems simple and to the point -- love it. Congrats and look forward to hearing your impressions as you dial everything in.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #28
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
Glad to see you finally got the conversion done! Hate to hear all the drama you had to endure with the previous kit. It's absolutely unacceptable how some of these vendors conduct business -- the N54 market seems to attract absolutely atrocious businessmen.

Bad luck about the slave cylinder. I had a bit of trouble getting my slave mounted back in the transmission as well, but after fumbling with it for a half hour managed to get it bolted down and working properly. Now I feel fortunate I didn't damage something during the reinstallation considering your story.

Anyways, I applaud your persistence and dedication. As soon as you get the transmission buttoned back up, you'll finally have that single turbo N54 tucked in a Lemans Blue 135i that you really wanted. That Motiv bottom mount seems simple and to the point -- love it. Congrats and look forward to hearing your impressions as you dial everything in.
Thanks so much for kind words. I agree with all that, this has been quite the journey but good things come to those who wait I suppose. I am really happy with the route I took with the motiv kit and the combination of the BMR exhaust and Motiv is intoxicating.

I actually got a brand new slave cylinder from FCP and plugged it into the hardline exactly as the old one removed, went to bleed the system, and it all leaked out of the connection where the hardline plugged into it. I tried everything and examined for any orings or potential causes of leaks and could not find any, so now I ordered a new hardline and hoping that it will connect to the slave with no leaks and I can get the thing bled properly and driving soon. Its really wearing out my patience but Im hanging in there and hoping for the best, ive came too far to turn around now
      11-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #29
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Made some more progress over the last few days and got the stage 3 LPFP installed from BMP. Its a dual walbro 450 bucketless set up and should provide ample flow for my needs. Here is a DIY video I made on the install of the stage lpfp, all that is left is the twin disc clutch and its time to rip this thing!

11-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #30
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is a first drive video of the car with the motiv single turbo! I realize the audio is not the best in some parts, and I have ideas for how to improve the exhaust audio for future videos, but even with that said it really doesn't do it a justice. The sounds this car makes is amazing. Even at part or 1/2 throttle the 64mm Xona rotor is fairly responsive and when boost comes in, its hits hard.

11-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #31
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Congrats bud.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #32
Blu3RSX
Industrial Designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i. It's blu3 ^_^

Great content on your YouTube channel!

However, I am NOT a fan of your school breaking the leg of our quarterback

Keep up the good work though...looking forward to more videos
BMS Pedal Tuner
ARM 5" Intercooler
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #33
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Another YT video with some more progress. Custom Twin Disc clutch is installed, a few leaks I got have now been fixed, turbo got reclocked, Vaccum lines to 4 port Mac were mixed up causing overboosting but are now fixed, and a lot of other loose ends have been tidied up to get the car 100%. Here is a video of some pulls on wastegate at 93 octane, the slowest the car can possible be with this set up and its still much faster than my last FBO 135i N54 car was.

Since this video, Ive done a few more things such as CDV delete, stock trans mounts back in (now I have zero NVH with this and 900 RPM idle), new 02 sensors, and revision 4 of the tune flashed and car is now making 17PSI. I will post a new video of some more pulls / explain a bit of the street tuning process when I get more updates of the tune and its near completion as well as the E40 tune!

12-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #34
Neiman Levenson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I kind of stopped updating this build thread as most of my updates on Facebook and youtube captivated my interest more, but man has so much happened since last update. The car went from wastegate in the last videos all the way to 550whp on 93 octane on the dyno in the beginning of the summer. Lots of parts and time went into this including dual Radium PCV catch cans, 17" forgestar wheels with R888R, Twin Disc Clutch, lots of tuning revisions, and many more parts.

Then after making my 550whp I decided I wanted to reach 700+WHP. I went full E85 with BMP complete fueling solution and switched to a Gforce3 EBC boost controller for more reliable boost control and on the fly adjust (especially for kill map 700+ setting)

Unfortuantely I ran into index 12 injector issues and trashed my cyl head by Ovaling the injector bore. I swapped in a new 2010 N54 Longblock and was planning on continuing the persuit of my 700whp goal. After dealing with continuous boost control issues, and the continuous whole in my wallet I decided going back to stock would be the best move.

Its been a super fun journey and I have no regrets. I'm still torn on what my car next should be, and am in no rush to sell my 135i. Its now switched roles from being a badass street car to a super clean, fun, and remarkably reliable daily. These E82's will always be a favorite car of mine!

Video is almost all talking so if thats not your thing you've been warned lol. nethertheless, it feels good to be uploading again!
      12-20-2019, 01:48 AM   #35
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Wow that is quite a story. So what's next?
Appreciate 0