E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
The new JRZ RS 1 damper set is ready, I will make an appointment to installation shortly.

The sounds are so loud an bad that it is noticeable for anybody, even my mother heard it while leaving her from a visit.........

I really do hope the new set will solve all the problems......
Best of luck!

Considering that these dampers are one of the ones I'm debating about, I am hoping that JRZ will be able to sort out some of these noise issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #68
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

I have not had much time to use the car these past few days, but I got about 150KM on them today.

A little back ground, I have had Dinan springs, KW CS, and Moton SS on this car. I daily drive it, and its my track monster, which sees about 8-12 events a year typically. The roads in Toronto are horrid, especially in the downtown core where I live.

The RS1s so far have been fantastic and the best suspension I have had on the car. They do a great job at soaking up the big and small bumps on the road while not feeling harsh at all. Im running 500/800 combo, I would def not go stiffer if you drive on bad streets though, I think its the limit unless you have high tolerance. I had initially set the front and rear at 3/3 clicks from full soft and stiffened it up a little and the ride got even better, hitting the sweet zone I guess. The car turns in and stay flat beautifully through a corner, really makes it effortless almost. Its hard to describe, but it almost makes the car feel lighter then it is, especially through fast speed corners.

I do have some noise from one front shock, but I knew that was a possibility and James@Bimmerworld told me beforehand about it and they will be replaced/fixed, so not worried about it.

My first track day on them will be April 1st. Im running -2.5 camber up front, -1.9 out back. 0 toe up front and 1/16th in the rear. Dropped about 1" all the way around.

So far very happy with the set up, but need some more time on it.

Big thanks to the guys at Bimmerworld. Excellent service and support.
Attached Images

Last edited by STALKER; 03-25-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #69
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Update from my end.

JRZ has addressed the noise problem that was present in some of the initial batch of RS1 shocks. They sent replacement shocks and all is well.

Really appreciate JRZ and Bimmerworld's support.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #70
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Neil,
IRRC your car is a DD and you were concerned about ride quality and ground clearance in addition to better track performance. Are you still happy with the spring rates you chose? How much drop did you end up with?

I’m looking at these shocks for my DD and I’m trying to determine if your spring choices and settings will work for me. From your posts I’ve read, I think so. I want the spring rates to strike a good balance between street & track and I don’t want an extreme drop. I don’t want be dragging the front end over driveways and speedbumps and really don’t want to tip toe around every hazard. I’m thinking a ½” drop will be good enough for me.

I’m also wondering if you are running your track camber settings on the street and how that is affecting tire wear and straight line braking performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #71
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Update from my end.

JRZ has addressed the noise problem that was present in some of the initial batch of RS1 shocks. They sent replacement shocks and all is well.

Really appreciate JRZ and Bimmerworld's support.

Neil

This is great news !!

I wasn`t able to schedule an appointment for replacing my RS1 damperset, so I hope it will be possible in the next few weeks, keep you all posted !
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #72
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
Neil,
IRRC your car is a DD and you were concerned about ride quality and ground clearance in addition to better track performance. Are you still happy with the spring rates you chose? How much drop did you end up with?

I’m looking at these shocks for my DD and I’m trying to determine if your spring choices and settings will work for me. From your posts I’ve read, I think so. I want the spring rates to strike a good balance between street & track and I don’t want an extreme drop. I don’t want be dragging the front end over driveways and speedbumps and really don’t want to tip toe around every hazard. I’m thinking a ½” drop will be good enough for me.

I’m also wondering if you are running your track camber settings on the street and how that is affecting tire wear and straight line braking performance.
Yes, happy with the balance I've achieved. Spring rates, at least for my butt, definitely not too stiff for the street. Ended up wth a drop of approx. 5/8"

Currently running 3 degrees camber in front and 2.2 in back. O toe in front and a bit of toe-in in rear. Haven't yet put a lot of miles on with these settings, but I expect tire wear will be ok. As you probably know, it's the combination of camber and toe that eats up tires.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #73
Texas F1
1M Owner
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora 410, BMW 1M, Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Yes, happy with the balance I've achieved. Spring rates, at least for my butt, definitely not too stiff for the street. Ended up wth a drop of approx. 5/8"

Currently running 3 degrees camber in front and 2.2 in back. O toe in front and a bit of toe-in in rear. Haven't yet put a lot of miles on with these settings, but I expect tire wear will be ok. As you probably know, it's the combination of camber and toe that eats up tires.

Neil
Neil, I'm getting a set of AST 5100s installed at Vorshlag in a couple weeks and I'm trying to decide on spring rates. They use the Hypercoil front and Swift rear springs for most applications. Some of the combinations I'm looking at are 450F/672R; 550F/784R; or possibly the stiffer 600F/900R. I'm leaning toward the middle combination of these three. Yours is closer to the softer selection.

For occassional track days, maybe some auto-x, and mostly recreational driving, any suggestions based on these options? I'll probably have the car lowered just slightly.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #74
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas F1 View Post
Neil, I'm getting a set of AST 5100s installed at Vorshlag in a couple weeks and I'm trying to decide on spring rates. They use the Hypercoil front and Swift rear springs for most applications. Some of the combinations I'm looking at are 450F/672R; 550F/784R; or possibly the stiffer 600F/900R. I'm leaning toward the middle combination of these three. Yours is closer to the softer selection.

For occassional track days, maybe some auto-x, and mostly recreational driving, any suggestions based on these options? I'll probably have the car lowered just slightly.
AST5100 will most likely ride a bit stiffer on their own when compared to the RS1s. If you are not doing a dozen or so track days, I would actually go with the softer of the three set up, especially if its your daily driver. The ASTs will be good enough to compensate for the softer spring rates.
      04-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #75
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas F1 View Post

I would go with the softest of the rates you have there and even lower on the front, 400F is plenty for a car that don't see much track duty.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 05:05 AM   #76
Texas F1
1M Owner
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora 410, BMW 1M, Z4

Thank you for the feedback--this is helpful. And I guess spring rates could always be increased or changed later if needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #77
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Finaly I`ve been able to schedule an apointment on 05-05 for replacement JRZ RS 1 damperset.

There are some changes made compared to the 1st set, the new set has a different piston inside what should solve the noise.
The olde piston had shims which produced the rattling sounds. Got the info straight from Mr Ras from JRZ.

I`m looking forward to see how it is working and driving.........
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #78
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Finaly I`ve been able to schedule an apointment on 05-05 for replacement JRZ RS 1 damperset.

There are some changes made compared to the 1st set, the new set has a different piston inside what should solve the noise.
The olde piston had shims which produced the rattling sounds. Got the info straight from Mr Ras from JRZ.

I`m looking forward to see how it is working and driving.........
My new set should arrive next week. So far the despite the noise, its a great set up.
      04-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #79
tunedone
Auto Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M AW

I had my JRZ RS1 set up installed a few weeks ago with Eibach Prokit springs and with GC 1M street adjustable camber plates. I followed the Advevo suspension strategy. Currently running 2.5 front, 0 toe, 2.0 rear .15 toe. I go to the track on 5/9 to test it out. I currently have 11 clicks squared. I have a set of dedicated tire/wheel set up for the track which is Apex 10/18 E25 squared and Nitto Nt01 275/35/18. There is no rubbing at all and looking forward for some good results at the track.

Last edited by tunedone; 05-04-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #80
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

My replacements should be here next week. Glad to see that JRZ was active about solving the issue.

I think my drivers front shock is in the worst shape, I can't adjust the rebound anymore on it.

Last edited by STALKER; 05-03-2012 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #81
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Update;

Last saturday I had the 1st JRZ RS1 damperset replaced, too much noise and sounds, this was not the way it was intended.

There couldn`t be a greater difference.

1 All noises ands sounds are gone

2 It is smooth as butter (2nd klick), maybe even too soft (20 more klicks to go :-))

The 1st damperset on the 1st klick was far more uncomfortable compared to the 2nd klick new set, for daily driving not (understatement) the best setting ( but already on the 1st klick softer was impossible)

I will have to make some experiments and see what setting will suit me and the the car for dd the best. For now I`m happy those terrible sounds are gone.

Thanks to JRZ for great service and follow up !!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #82
JamesClay
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

Garage List
1996 320iT  [0.00]
2003 M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Keep in mind the softest setup isn't always the best feeling. There is a window for a given chassis and spring set that is correct. Just like a car can be rough because the dampers are way turned up (overdamped), it can be underdamped also.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #83
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
Keep in mind the softest setup isn't always the best feeling. There is a window for a given chassis and spring set that is correct. Just like a car can be rough because the dampers are way turned up (overdamped), it can be underdamped also.

+1

A few more klicks wouldn`t harm the comfort at all I think. It will improve the feel of the car, but as I said, it will take some training and experiments to figure that out.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #84
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I am glad everything is solved. These shocks are awesome. I am very happy with them done several track days and did some laps on the Nurburgring. It s one of the best compromises between road and track.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #85
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Update;

Last saturday I had the 1st JRZ RS1 damperset replaced, too much noise and sounds, this was not the way it was intended.

2 It is smooth as butter (2nd klick), maybe even too soft (20 more klicks to go :-))

The 1st damperset on the 1st klick was far more uncomfortable compared to the 2nd klick new set, for daily driving not (understatement) the best setting ( but already on the 1st klick softer was impossible)

I will have to make some experiments and see what setting will suit me and the the car for dd the best. For now I`m happy those terrible sounds are gone.

Based on James's suggestion, I run 4 clicks up front from full soft and 3 for the rear for my daily commute. I have tried 6/6 also for daily use and that was fine too.
      05-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #86
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

Quote:
Update;

What spring are you using? Eibach? do you have some picture of the front strut with spring?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #87
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Big thanks to Bimmerworld and JRZ. Got 4 new replacement shocks yesterday. Will be installed next Tuesday.
I have 4 track days in June, including 2 days at Watkins Glen, so I'll have good feedback.
      07-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #88
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
By now you all should have gotten in a few track days with your JRZs, so please post your reviews.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0