BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #23
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeshta View Post
Why wouldn't you just get a couple pin tools for $30? Using a single one is a bit of a pain with spacers, but if you have two it's easy.They work perfectly, and don't change the look of the car in a negative way(obviously that part is opinion based, but to me these lugs look pretty silly).

I'm guessing maybe you are coming from Japanese cars and stuck in your ways?
Just stop.

Yes, I run studs...because I really care about the look I achieve with them.

The fact that I can change tires in probably a 1/4 of the time it takes for you to use those stupid pin tools, it is worth it. And I actually change tires every weekend at autox or track.

Any other questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Is there an improper way to install these? I come across threads/reviews where people say theirs broke off at the track or high performance driving, but I don't know if that is due to poor stud quality or improper installation.
You can install them improperly. If you torque the stud too much into the hub you can put strain on the stud that way, or if you torque a nut too much on the stud itself, you can shear it.

People don't realize that the studs are wear and tear items. They should be replaced every 2 years or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #24
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Just stop.

The fact that I can change tires in probably a 1/4 of the time it takes for you to use those stupid pin tools, it is worth it. And I actually change tires every weekend at autox or track.

Any other questions?

You can install them improperly. If you torque the stud too much into the hub you can put strain on the stud that way, or if you torque a nut too much on the stud itself, you can shear it.

People don't realize that the studs are wear and tear items. They should be replaced every 2 years or so.
1+
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #25
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Why wouldn't you just get a couple pin tools for $30? Using a single one is a bit of a pain with spacers, but if you have two it's easy.They work perfectly, and don't change the look of the car in a negative way(obviously that part is opinion based, but to me these lugs look pretty silly).

I'm guessing maybe you are coming from Japanese cars and stuck in your ways?
Wow . . . . where is this coming from??? Studs are very useful for people that run spacers and those that change wheels often at the track. I think they look better than lugs too.

Quote:

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #26
schmidtp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2019 Ram 1500  [0.00]
Quote:
I didn't know that, thanks for the info. I personally like how studs look but was not aware of this. In the next month or so I want to make a decision because I want either locking bolts for my new rims, or I wanted to do the stud conversion. Decisions, decisions.
      03-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #27
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtp View Post
I didn't know that, thanks for the info. I personally like how studs look but was not aware of this. In the next month or so I want to make a decision because I want either locking bolts for my new rims, or I wanted to do the stud conversion. Decisions, decisions.
Go both ways and do a locking lug nut with the stud conversion, two birds one stone.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 10:28 PM   #28
feeshta
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 6MT, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
1- Do you work on your own cars?
2- Have you ever had studs or lugs fail?
3- Do you track your car?
1. Yes, I work on my own cars. My 540i has been a major pain in my ass the last couple years, so I have probably had the wheels off of it at least 30 times in that span. I agree that it is a pain when you don't have the wheel pins, especially so with spacers which I do run on the front of my 540, but since I got the pins, it's easy as pie.
2. No, I have never had any wheel mounting hardware of any kind fail, nor have I ever seen it happen, or spoken to anyone who has had it happen to them.
3. No, I don't. Don't see how that is relevant either. It's not like you are in a nascar pit crew or something where seconds count.

Quote:
Just stop.

Any other questions?
It takes about 5 seconds to put the pins in and take them out, other than that, the process is exactly the same. They also do not scratch up your wheels on the stud threading, as they are plastic coated. If you like how they look, more power to you I guess? Like I said, they look silly to me, at least in the overly long form, and apparently some others here agree. Seems like a lot of expense and trouble to save 60 seconds tops on track days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Wow . . . . where is this coming from??? Studs are very useful for people that run spacers and those that change wheels often at the track. I think they look better than lugs too.

Thank you
Again, I simply disagree. I don't see any improvement in usability over the wheel pins, only a very small difference in speed, and I do see a negative in both appearance and wear and tear one your wheels.

To be clear, the part about coming from Japanese cars was not a knock in any way. People just get used to a certain way of doing things and changing feels unnatural to them.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 04:26 AM   #29
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
1. Yes, I work on my own cars. My 540i has been a major pain in my ass the last couple years, so I have probably had the wheels off of it at least 30 times in that span. I agree that it is a pain when you don't have the wheel pins, especially so with spacers which I do run on the front of my 540, but since I got the pins, it's easy as pie.
2. No, I have never had any wheel mounting hardware of any kind fail, nor have I ever seen it happen, or spoken to anyone who has had it happen to them.
3. No, I don't. Don't see how that is relevant either. It's not like you are in a nascar pit crew or something where seconds count.
1- I got sick of dinging my calipers working in shitty spaces
2- I have, both kinds. Once was at high speed.
3- Scrutineers have mentioned it before. Don't have regs handy to share.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #30
feeshta
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 6MT, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
1- I got sick of dinging my calipers working in shitty spaces
2- I have, both kinds. Once was at high speed.
3- Scrutineers have mentioned it before. Don't have regs handy to share.
You sure you are not over-torqueing them somehow? I've never heard of something like that. I'm not really involved in the race scene at all, as it doesn't exist where I grew up, but the only time I've ever seen anything like that was when someone either over or under torqued something. I guess it's possible if you beat on things long enough, but my 540 has the same bolts on it as it came with 15 years and 160,000 miles ago, and it has not lived an easy life.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 12:38 AM   #31
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
You sure you are not over-torqueing them somehow? I've never heard of something like that. I'm not really involved in the race scene at all, as it doesn't exist where I grew up, but the only time I've ever seen anything like that was when someone either over or under torqued something. I guess it's possible if you beat on things long enough, but my 540 has the same bolts on it as it came with 15 years and 160,000 miles ago, and it has not lived an easy life.
Oh, I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Yah, studs are a little easier to change than hubs!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 06:27 AM   #32
EM58NDS 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M135i

I run studs. Not because i need to, just because i like them.

Appreciate 0