BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

OZ Racing - difference between non HLT and HLT

Ultraleggera vs Ultraleggera HLT

Both look identical but the manufacturing is different. One is low pressure casting while the other (HLT) is made differently and "with strength properties similar to forged wheels".

I don't know too much about forged and non-forged wheels but I'm assuming forged are lighter and perhaps more durable.

I took a peek to see if it holds true and used TireRack as a test. I did a search with a Audi S4 and came up with the Ultraleggera 19" in both non-HLT and HLT.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...All&sort=Brand

The HLT is a bit larger with a 3lb weight increase. The price is also roughly the same as well.

With that in mind, Why would someone buy the HLT version instead of the non HLT one?

Is there some sort of a performance difference? If anyone of you guys knows the major differences. please let me know, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

HLT (High Light Technology) is OZ's way to do "more with less." When comparing wheels of the same size, they are able make the HLT version more dense with less material, thus saving weight and increasing strength. Though not forged, it's a nice step in that direction.

In the forging process wheels are made with less material and "pressed" into shape making them more dense and less porous than their cast counterparts. The outcome is stronger and lighter.

Gill

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Gill, what is the offset on the 18x9 Alleggerita? Is it the same 40mm as the Ultraleggera? Based on the tire/wheel size calculator I've used it seems that 40mm isn't good enough for the rear and there's potential to rub. Have you seen those on a 1 yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
Gill, what is the offset on the 18x9 Alleggerita? Is it the same 40mm as the Ultraleggera? Based on the tire/wheel size calculator I've used it seems that 40mm isn't good enough for the rear and there's potential to rub. Have you seen those on a 1 yet?
The 40 is very aggressive with a 9" wheel. It will limit rear tire sizing to avoid rub.

Gill

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0