BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
JejuneLegume
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Angry Dealer upgrade a 2011 basic stereo to Harmon Kardon?? MOST fiber optic cabling??

Just used my new VIN to sign up with the BMW owners center area of the BMW USA web site and discovered that the Harmon Kardon option I had ordered got lost in the mix somewhere.

The 1 is already built without it and is currently in transit.

Would it be terribly difficult and terribly invasive to have the dealership attempt to do the H/K upgrade?

My reading of the excellent doc (attached) prepared by VP Electricity is that the tweeters would need to be installed and all the other speakers swapped out. An amp would need to be installed, then the head unit would need to be told it is now an H/K system.

The big problem I can see is that many of the system connections are made over a MOST fiber optic network. If that fiber optic network is not present already, then me thinks I am stuck with the less-than-impressive stock stereo system.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1-series Audio Background 1.0.pdf (20.7 KB, 208 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
CommaD
iDrive therefore iAm
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 xDrive28i Alpine White

Have you contacted your dealer yet to make sure it really "got lost"? Often times the info on your online BMW account isn't accurate to what you really have on order. Some people even have completely different cars show up.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
JejuneLegume
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not yet . . . Just trying to scope out what are my options.

My CA is new to selling BMW's, and probably new to selling cars. He's not overly up-to-speed on, well, pretty much everything. Which is okay because I knew what I wanted, although he could have been a little more helpful providing information about the various options.

After cogitatin' on the matter a little, I figure I'll wait until it is out of the state-side port then broach the matter . . . given the posts I've seen about in-port upgrade fiascos . . .

Figure it might be best to bring up the matter before the delivery so the dealership can start lining up the parts if necessary and can save a little face by having the opportunity to blame the problem on Germany.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
JejuneLegume
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oh, phew, thanks maxnix, then hopefully it's not a problem. The CA will probably be able to see the H/K upgrade in his system.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
JJ135
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i - SGM, 6MT, M, Terr, Nav

Mine's not showing up either although I have it on my Purchase Order. I called my CA and he assures me that it is included. I go for my EU delivery on Feb 24th, I'll let you know what I find...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Yeah, you better hope you have it, because upgrading in the US to HK would be a major issue at any dealer. They don't know how.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
Basket77
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Convt.

Yep, don't worry. For some reason it doesn't show up on the owner site, and I was sweating it for 6 weeks. But it was certainly there on my delivered automobile, so says the window sticker and the HK badged tweeters in the doors.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JejuneLegume View Post
Oh, phew, thanks maxnix, then hopefully it's not a problem. The CA will probably be able to see the H/K upgrade in his system.
I wouldn't sweat it mine went the whole way through and wasn't sure until we looked in the window and saw the system in the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Mine didn't show but it had it when it showed up. Ask your salesperson, he will be able to tell you.
Appreciate 0